Meet Wendy, New to Me M20C

The deal was finished up last night. N1972W is a 1962 M20C with 5700 tt and 600 SMOH.  Yesterday I went up for a flight before closing, everything looked good. I ended up driving my rental car from Willmar MN to Flying Cloud airport where I managed to find an instructor while Tim, the broke flew her to flying cloud. Once there The instructor and I flew Tim back to Willmar and then turned around to head back to FCM. On the way back we had to land at Glencoe and wait out some heavy storms over Minneapolis. I did my first night landing and first bit of night cross country time! 

My dad, a Delta pilot, is flying out tomorrow afternoon to fly her back with me on Monday. He's flying a redeye from LAX to JFK the night before and then I'm going to make him deadhead to MSP and spend 5 hours with an instructor in N1972W. Her final home will be KLAM in New Mexico. 

20160819_132854.jpg

20160819_080719.jpg

20160819_132906.jpg

20160819_133338.jpg

2016-08-20 14.29.38.jpg

Edited by klystron
Panel Pic
  • Like 17

Lyrics from a song by The Association (A little before my time). In  honor of your new gal.

Who's reachin' out to capture a moment
Everyone knows it's Wendy

And Wendy has stormy eyes
That flash at the sound of lies
And Wendy has wings to fly
Above the clouds
(Above the clouds)
Above the clouds
(Above the clouds)

• Like 1

Congratulations! Sounds like a good trip in a great plane. When you've had a chance to rest, we'd all appreciate hearing about it. That's probably a trip that few of us will ever make. My furthest trip was west to Cody, WY KCOD.

22 hours ago, carusoam said:

Then update that avatar picture! :)

Best regards,

-a-

Haha, I need to have someone take a good picture of me and the new bird first! I'll see what I can do in the meantime!

22 hours ago, Hank said:

Congratulations! Sounds like a good trip in a great plane. When you've had a chance to rest, we'd all appreciate hearing about it. That's probably a trip that few of us will ever make. My furthest trip was west to Cody, WY KCOD.

Will do! Overall it was pretty uneventful until we got around the New Mexico / Colorado border. Dodged around a few thunderstorms and popped over the mountains at 13,500. I took a bunch of pictures and will have to do a writeup.

On 8/21/2016 at 8:42 AM, Raptor05121 said:

I really like that panel. The cut...the finish...and even the yokes!

I know right! I think the one major change I will add is replacing the engine gauges with a JPI 900. That Stec-60 worked like a dream.

• Like 1

On August 22, 2016 at 7:28 PM, klystron said:

Made it back to Los Alamos. Horrible headwinds most of the way back. But ran the numbers and it looks like at 12,500 we were getting about 148knots TAS at 8.5 gph. 

NICE WORK! BEAUTIFUL BIRD. FYI, your 430 will calculate TAS for you--pretty great feature! Scroll with the big knob to the Flight Planning Page: Density Alt/TAS/Winds line--select it and enter your indicated airspeed, temp, and barometer reading...it will give you real time TAS and headwind/tailwind info. 

• Like 3