Very Nice Late Model 231. Trade Down

jgarrison

Ladies and Gents....

I have a plane that the owner is looking to trade down.

http://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/1441303/1985-mooney-m20k-231?dlr=1&pcid=17527&sfc=1&ssc=1&src=0&sps=0&ftr=0&if=1

This is a very nice 231, one of the late models with the split seats and one piece belly. Super nice interior and loaded to the gills. We are looking for a good trade, M20C - M20J.  Let me know if you have some interest. Thanks, Jimmy

Just now, daver328 said:

We're taking out the 830 and putting in new right panel with a new 930, ... also installing recently purchased autopilot ... I think we'll probably install the new GARMIN AI everyone is talking about at the same time? So ... the photos would be out of date. 

We have quite a nice C, but not sure he wants to trade into the J-bar? We (I) wanted the J-bar,. We passed on a couple Es with comparable times and equipment for the J-bar ... even after I had traveled to see them ...

However, I have wanted a K for some time now!!!

(still flirting the idea of a twin:  twin Comanche, TravelAir, Baron 55, Cessna 310, Aerostars ... are all on the short list ... Maybe even a twin Bo?) 

Always liked the C310... and the Aerostar. But you'll not find many with as nice a panel as you're building in your little old M20C.

Just now, daver328 said:

I see that. I've already looked at a few 310s, a TravelAir, and a few other twins ... One of the hold backs is starting over again with a new plane ... especially the panel. I'll lose my shirt when we sell our Mooney ...

Going to Summit this year? Your bird needs Sabermech's cowl! Chump change compared to your panel. 

Just now, daver328 said:

He's not making it for 65s yet. 66 and older ... if my understanding is correct?

He's very hopeful that with some cooperation he'll be able to cover Es and Fs and different year model Cs. You should drop David a note. We saw his plane @ KOSH, really nice, and IMO @ a fair price.

I think I saw a note from Mike that David plans to have his C at Summit. 

14 minutes ago, daver328 said:

Be happy with what you have. Be happy with what you have. Be happy with what you have. Be happy with what you have. Be happy with what you have.

excuse me .. I'm having a talk with myself!

Ah, Philippians 4:11 "... for I have learned to be content with whatever I have."

Not sure Paul could foresee airplanes though... :D

• Like 3

1 hour ago, daver328 said:

I don't need a K. I don't need a K. I don't need a K. I don't need a K. I don't need a K. I don't need a K. I don't need a K. I don't need a K.

I don't need a twin. I don't need a twin. I don't need a twin. I don't need a twin. I don't need a twin. I don't need a twin.

We need to pay off our debt instead. We need to pay off our debt instead. We need to pay off our debt instead. We need to pay off our debt instead. 

Be happy with what you have. Be happy with what you have. Be happy with what you have. Be happy with what you have. Be happy with what you have.

excuse me .. I'm having a talk with myself!

You only live once. Live your dream

See, this is what Jimmy Garrison does. He puts a great plane on the market for a great deal. You can't resist.....He's like a drug dealer who has what you want.

That's that way it was 3 years ago for me and I've been very happy with my plane ever since!

Just Do It!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The paperwork (including a check) has been exchanged and my IA, also a pilot, is doing the ferry flight for me. He's relocating the airplane this afternoon then flying home (KAVQ - Tucson, AZ) tomorrow. N5810D is officially sold as of a few minutes ago and it was a great experience working with Jimmy.  I can highly recommend it !

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

The paperwork (including a check) has been exchanged and my IA, also a pilot, is doing the ferry flight for me. He's relocating the airplane this afternoon then flying home (KAVQ - Tucson, AZ) tomorrow. N5810D is officially sold as of a few minutes ago and it was a great experience working with Jimmy.  I can highly recommend it !

Great looking bird! Congrats!

On August 20, 2016 at 7:46 AM, daver328 said:

We're taking out the 830 and putting in new right panel with a new 930, ... also installing recently purchased autopilot ... I think we'll probably install the new GARMIN AI everyone is talking about at the same time? So ... the photos would be out of date. 

We have quite a nice C, but not sure he wants to trade into the J-bar? We (I) wanted the J-bar,. We passed on a couple Es (without the J-bar) with comparable times and equipment for the J-bar ... even after I had traveled to see them ...

However, I have wanted a K for some time now!!!

(still flirting the idea of a twin:  twin Comanche, TravelAir, Baron 55, Cessna 310, Aerostars ... are all on the short list ... Maybe even a twin Bo?) 

A T-bone?!  Beautiful... Big... Slow... Expensive$$$$$.  

Talk about an aluminum cloud, hah!

2 hours ago, daver328 said:

There is a never-ending disscussion (friendly argument) on the virtues of a turbo versus a big block. I am in the Turbo camp ... The capabilities of your new airplane (from what I keep hearing) really shine when you get above 14,000. (Make sure you monitor your oxygen when you are above 10,000') my latest studies will be on the C320s (made 66-69) and TC310s ... Yeah, I want the turbo.

I've used pulse oximeters since the 1980s and use them in my "day job" so no worries there.

As far as the discussion, I've had both large displacement engines and turbos in the past and each have advantages and disadvantages. I use 10,000 ft as the cutoff. Are most of your flights going to be above or below 10,000 ft ? If below, get the larger normally aspirated engine, if above, get the turbo. I *can* make most of my flights below 10,000 ft but I *prefer* to be above 10,000 ft most of the time. So I can make either work, and have.

In a turbo, I typically cruise at 16,500 and 17,500 ft. (rarely below 10,000 and only for a significant headwind) so I do get proper use of a turbo. If you really want comfort, though, get pressurized. The 231 is my 15th airplane, 11 singles and 4 twins so I have a wide variety of experience.

I personally would not look at T310/320s but maybe they're right for you. I'm happy to have this discussion in  a different thread.