Fuel Tank Sealing North Texas

Joined the forum over a year ago when I purchased my 63 c model and have actively read nearly every thread since although never posting. Lots of good info, thanks! 

Anyway I started having the dreaded fuel leaks and decided I would take it to Houston after reading the good reviews of them on here but an a&p IA friend convinced me he could do it as he had done several of them over the years. 5 months later my plane is still in my hanger with the fuel tanks 90% stripped almost ready to be sealed. I've read all the threads on here about it and I'm nearly prepared to do it myself but i thought I would reach out and see if anyone had any leads for someone that has experience and might be willing to do it at my hanger since the plane is not flyable. I'm located 60nm north east of Dallas. Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

Certain cases where the consideration of bladders may make more sense than reseal...

Taking the bladder discussion to another level...  There are temporary bladders available that can be rented.  These are typically used to ferry planes around.  Your mechanic can plumb the system so the plane can be ferried to the reseal destination.  Some FAA paperwork will probably be required called a ferry permit...  Reseal companies know how to help you out with this detail...

http://www.turtlepac.com/photo-gallery/aircraft-ferry-tanks.html

PP ideas that I had considered back in the day.  What to do if my tank seals stopped working.... (That day never came)

best regards,

-a-

I patched both tanks on my bird using Don Maxwell's technique on his web site.  Work very well.  Still holding after three years. (knock on wood)

Might be a little late for you now, but you can use the method for checking after you seal it.

if you've got it stripped I think you're better than half way there.

I'm in Fort Worth if you need more info.  Be glad to talk about it.

• Like 2

So the stripping is going real slow. At this point I would buy a gallon of polygon and move the stripping process along myself. You wouldn't affect anything structural. Talk to your mechanic first and make sure he's OK with it. Careful of the paint. Wipe off gunk and dispose. WIpe with methanol then flush with water. You'll probably want to flush the lines so you don't get gunk in them, clean up the gascolator and give new gasket (just like at annual). You would, of course scrape the digested sealant goo away from the fuel strainer and sender (if that's still in, I'd take it out). Talk to your mechanic. I assume he got just too busy. 

Edited by pinerunner

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased my 1966 E model about a year and a half ago in Arkansas. Part of the pre-purchase was the resealing of the tanks which was done at a shop in Texas. The repair seems to be holding just fine so far. The shop is called "Global Aircraft Service" in Addison TX (KADS). It sounds as though you might be in the same geographic location. http://www.globalaircraftservice.com/contact-us.html or (972) 267-6650. Good luck!

• Like 1