New Klixon switch covers

well, crap.

bought 2 shapeways red klixon switches, only to find out the new plane has the other switches.

One guy on shapeways prints the ETA style, but doesn't print in color. I'm going to ask if he can print in red nylon, the klixon switch I got looks pretty good.

• 4 weeks later...

Any updates?

Everything seemed to be going so well there, and then fell apart... This is too good, we can't fail at the last stage!

We need a champion printer. Who's going to do the final 3D printing?  We have 3 options:

1. dcastor

2. Ah-1 Cobra Pilot

3. Kefferch?

For the labels, we all like the initial result from "Chocks" but he seems to have gone awol... Chocks, talk to us buddy. We need you!

Anyone know someone else who can provide the same type of laser etching? The tech shouldn't be that exotic...

Only other hope is the crew examining a root source for the whole switch:

• Like 1

Any updates?
Everything seemed to be going so well there, and then fell apart... This is too good, we can't fail at the last stage!
We need a champion printer. Who's going to do the final 3D printing?  We have 3 options:
1. dcastor
2. Ah-1 Cobra Pilot
3. Kefferch?

For the labels, we all like the initial result from "Chocks" but he seems to have gone awol... Chocks, talk to us buddy. We need you!
Anyone know someone else who can provide the same type of laser etching? The tech shouldn't be that exotic...

Only other hope is the crew examining a root source for the whole switch:

I'm still trying to figure out which cover fits the best and who can make it.

The laser etching would be icing on the Klixon cake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

I have printed several of the switch covers in several different materials.  I think the nylon ones hold the most promise.  Funny thing, the nylon I favor is clear, so I thought I should dye them white.  Can someone send me a bottle of Rit Dye?  No, because it does not come in white!  My original switches are actually an off-white, so a mix of dyes may come pretty close to the original color.  Let me know which color you think is best:  https://www.ritstudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/ColorRit_FINAL.pdf

Second item is that printing the lettering does not work very well.  Tomorrow, Wednesday, I will be visiting a "Maker Space" nearby.  They supposedly have both a laser and a router that are able to cut the lettering in the covers.  If either works, I will make up a bunch of covers and post pictures here.

A little more patience is required.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Ah-1 Cobra Pilot said:

I have printed several of the switch covers in several different materials.  I think the nylon ones hold the most promise.  Funny thing, the nylon I favor is clear, so I thought I should dye them white.  Can someone send me a bottle of Rit Dye?  No, because it does not come in white!  My original switches are actually an off-white, so a mix of dyes may come pretty close to the original color.  Let me know which color you think is best:  https://www.ritstudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/ColorRit_FINAL.pdf

Second item is that printing the lettering does not work very well.  Tomorrow, Wednesday, I will be visiting a "Maker Space" nearby.  They supposedly have both a laser and a router that are able to cut the lettering in the covers.  If either works, I will make up a bunch of covers and post pictures here.

Well, if you pull this off, I personally will construct a statue in your honor. 

I am in the process of trying to convert my covers from white to black (and getting rid of the cracked ones in the process). So... if you make them in jet black, I'm game. Until the statue is made, here is your interim recognition;

593ff7e95a8ea_CBMember.thumb.png.ad3681b5733700ee500b76920211ee08.png

• Like 3

Need a double like for the last post.

I'm cool with black as well. Not sure how the laser-etched/engraved white letters would go, but as there's no white option for the material, it seems we're stuck anyway. Closest I saw was the RIT #527, but that's not white.

Edited by AF M20J
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ah-1 Cobra Pilot said:

I've seen switches in red and black, too.  I wouldn't sweat the color too much.  I think you'd have a lot of worshipers if you could just get the switch cover right.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Ah-1 Cobra Pilot said:

I can.  I still have one more idea to test...  It may work even better.

I'm not sure if you are doing this as a favor or are looking to develop this into a business. Either way, thanks. There are a number of us looking for the replacements for the broken or worn ones we have.

This is what I settled upon.  My co-owner had to whittle off some of the 'prong' to get them in, but they fit quite well.  They are very stiff since I used Carbon-Fiber infused Nylon, the paint is not quite as tough as I would like, but it may get better over time, but I will try them to see how durable they are.  I will ensure they continue to work for a while before I take orders.59c9817a1b665_2017-09-2215_29_50.thumb.jpg.06933966ce3dfddda25872e92e46c890.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ah-1 Cobra Pilot said:

This is what I settled upon.  My co-owner had to whittle off some of the 'prong' to get them in, but they fit quite well.  They are very stiff since I used Carbon-Fiber infused Nylon, the paint is not quite as tough as I would like, but it may get better over time, but I will try them to see how durable they are.  I will ensure they continue to work for a while before I take orders.59c9817a1b665_2017-09-2215_29_50.thumb.jpg.06933966ce3dfddda25872e92e46c890.jpg

Let us know when you are ready to take orders!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/4/2017 at 7:46 AM, mccdeuce said:

Any movement on this? Broke my strobe cover on my last flight... :(

Well, the ones I installed seem to be holding up, so I have these four left.  The two I made with chopped, carbon-fiber infused nylon, painted and laser cut the lettering.  The other two are the originals I replaced.  The originals should fit perfectly, but I do not guarantee how long they will last, as they must be from 1978.  The ones I made may need some scraping with a sharp knife to make them fit, as the CF-Nylon does not flex much.  (I do plan to try to perfect the techniques and do a better job, but I am committed to a few things and will not have time to get back to it until Jan-Feb.)

Let me know if you are interested in any of them.  $6.00 should cover postage.  (Bid higher if you really want them over a competitor :lol:.)

2017-09-22 15.29.50.jpg

2017-12-05 08.35.00.jpg

Well, the ones I installed seem to be holding up, so I have these four left.  The two I made with chopped, carbon-fiber infused nylon, painted and laser cut the lettering.  The other two are the originals I replaced.  The originals should fit perfectly, but I do not guarantee how long they will last, as they must be from 1978.  The ones I made may need some scraping with a sharp knife to make them fit, as the CF-Nylon does not flex much.  (I do plan to try to perfect the techniques and do a better job, but I am committed to a few things and will not have time to get back to it until Jan-Feb.)
Let me know if you are interested in any of them.  $6.00 should cover postage.  (Bid higher if you really want them over a competitor :lol:.)
5a26b1daee938_2017-09-2215_29_50.thumb.jpg.2fe9f490e6f0e13f84b43eb2c58a9837.jpg
5a26b2efd1bcc_2017-12-0508_35_00.thumb.jpg.9b25ff671f4f6b5c11035f75aebbba63.jpg

Cobra - there are a number of us who have interest in what you have produced. When you get back to it, can you make a group of these covers and give us an idea what you want for them? I am not overly concerned about the texture, because working with Bruce Jaegar, I have learned some techniques on how to finish these off. I just need to get my hands on some.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro