New Klixon switch covers

The piece is a build up, layer upon layer...

under the stress of use or mounting, the layers separated.

This is visible in the first photo.  It has an interesting inter-layer where the stress required to separate layers is not as strong as the stress to break through a layer...

There may be some variables to the printing process like using a higher temperature or a slower print speed that might improve the interlayer strength...  overall this will effect the production rate and associated economics.

Interesting....!  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have the 3D model file they are willing to share?  I work with engineers that 3D print stuff all the time with access to nice printers and they only print in ABS.  I'd be willing to print these test them and actually report back unless some of these flakes that some of you are reporting about lol.

Okay guys, sorry for the delay but they finally got back to me with contact information for anyone who wants to make an order. As a reminder I have no affiliation with them and accept no responsibility for any order you place between yourself and them. I do believe they are legitimate but your orders may take a while. If someone wants to make a bulk purchase to get the costs down then please feel free.

Here's part of the email I received...

We can offer Switch Covers in a multitude of colors: Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Silver, Black, White, Gray, Copper and Bronze. 
In addition, we handle a Pale Green, Transluscent, Glow in the Dark product that is perfect for switches having pilot lighting. (Thermal parameters of the lighting will require prototyping to ensure the appropriate application of product.)

We can distribute to users you refer to us. Contact by texting Neil or Ian at NDesign, LLC  262-893-7272 or email to   ndombroe@att.net

The per unit price will be as follows,

1-3units $12.00 each

4-6units $10.50 each
7-9units $  9.60 each
10+units $  8.80 each
All orders will be charged $6.00 for shipping and handling. Standard UPS Ground.
Allow 3 weeks for shipment. Expediting is available charged on a per order basis.

All orders must be prepaid.

• Like 1

Okay guys, sorry for the delay but they finally got back to me with contact information for anyone who wants to make an order. As a reminder I have no affiliation with them and accept no responsibility for any order you place between yourself and them. I do believe they are legitimate but your orders may take a while. If someone wants to make a bulk purchase to get the costs down then please feel free.
Here's part of the email I received...
We can offer Switch Covers in a multitude of colors: Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Silver, Black, White, Gray, Copper and Bronze. 
In addition, we handle a Pale Green, Transluscent, Glow in the Dark product that is perfect for switches having pilot lighting. (Thermal parameters of the lighting will require prototyping to ensure the appropriate application of product.)

We can distribute to users you refer to us. Contact by texting Neil or Ian at NDesign, LLC  262-893-7272 or email to   ndombroe@att.net
The per unit price will be as follows,

1-3units $12.00 each
4-6units $10.50 each
7-9units $  9.60 each
10+units $  8.80 each
All orders will be charged $6.00 for shipping and handling. Standard UPS Ground.
Allow 3 weeks for shipment. Expediting is available charged on a per order basis.
All orders must be prepaid.

Have you tried one of these?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, helitim said:

Dcastor 

Reading some of your previous posts, I was hoping you would have printed a more successful and functional version.  I really need a full set whenever someone comes up with a better fitting version.

Tim

The Shapeways v.6 are pretty good but you might want to consider the vinyl switch cover decals through Higher Graphics to make them look pretty. 

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

Pretty good as in they don't fit loosely?

Correct, they fit snug on mine but I think I used a tiny piece of scotch tape to accomplish this. I have a couple extra. If you want I can send you one if you want to try it out first before ordering a set. Email me your address.

13 hours ago, helitim said:

I was hoping you would have printed a more successful and functional version.  I really need a full set whenever someone comes up with a better fitting version.

I am testing a dual extruder printer that may do a much better job.  I plan to replace my whole set with new prints and will also sell the old ones.  Standby for more...

• Like 1

I am looking at the potential for injection molding.  Steve sent me an STL file.  If anyone has a 3D drawing file I would appreciate it.  I would like to get one printed that we know is the correct dimensions before looking at making molds.  I have about four broken now so would like to get ones we can use soon.

Printing a mold... now that would be really impressive!

You can modify the mold's dimensions to make a better mold based on experience.

Once the mold is in proper shape, a selection of stronger polymers can be used.

The melt temperature of the stronger ABS polymers is probably higher than the 3D printer polymer is... :(

Best regards,

-a-

I thought you all would like to see my latest revision.  The text looks a bit streaky because it's just a magic marker (its a prototype), but the text is actually raised.

I may try to do recessed letters and fill with paint (similar to the originals).  This may be motivation to upgrade my 3d printer to two extruders so I can print in two colors.

Please don't buy the ones for from this NDesign company... I can do better than their prints now and while I can't promise they would come out quickly, I would be glad to provide them for half what they are charging.

Dave

20170119_204105.jpg

20170119_204112.jpg

• Like 3

I thought you all would like to see my latest revision.  The text looks a bit streaky because it's just a magic marker (its a prototype), but the text is actually raised.
I may try to do recessed letters and fill with paint (similar to the originals).  This may be motivation to upgrade my 3d printer to two extruders so I can print in two colors.
Please don't buy the ones for from this NDesign company... I can do better than their prints now and while I can't promise they would come out quickly, I would be glad to provide them for half what they are charging.
Dave
20170119_204105.jpg
20170119_204112.jpg

Dave - when you are ready for prime time, let me know how to buy them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, "Chocks" said:

Why dont you print the buttons and let me laser engrave the letters with color. It will save you lots of printing time and I can get super clean cutouts.

Let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's an interesting idea... I'm willing to send a couple your way to experiment with.   PM me your mailing address please.  The layers under the text is mostly solid plastic,  but there are some voids the way I printed.   Will that matter for your process? 

• Like 1