New Klixon switch covers

I have a new problem with a Klixon switch; the hinge pins fell out.  I cannot find replacements, so if anyone has an old, inoperative switch, please let me know, as I would gladly purchase one to get the pins.

Otherwise, $225 for a new switch!   &*%$^#!!

BTW, I think I am near really good replacements for switch covers.

IMG_20171229_085932260_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171208_111048844.jpg

Edited by Ah-1 Cobra Pilot
Added Photos

The cover in my picture is made from PLA.  It is easy to print, and the files lined up perfectly.  I tweaked the design to fit better and tried to print it with nylon.  Everything went wrong!  I have several things to figure out as to why, before I can proceed.  It goes to show how primitive 3D printing still is.

Have patience.

19 hours ago, TTaylor said:

We should be able to.  We have an Ultimaker 3 with dual extrusion.  I also have the hot head that can handle NylonX with carbon fiber.  

Can you print 10,000 of them. I'm sure you will sell all of them. :) I know there are a number of us who really want/need a solution. Hope you can provide it...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Can you print 10,000 of them. I'm sure you will sell all of them. :) I know there are a number of us who really want/need a solution. Hope you can provide it...

We have been looking at other options such as molding to produce a bunch.  I need about 4 just in our plane.  Not sure other than Mooney, what planes use them.

• Like 1

We have been looking at other options such as molding to produce a bunch.  I need about 4 just in our plane.  Not sure other than Mooney, what planes use them.

Not sure either. Pipers use a standard toggle without the breaker. In my 26 years of ownership, it is probably the most sought after part other than the Britain magical controller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would ask them specifically about these, because this is what they told me in 2013. 

Byron,
In one word, no. Those rocker switches are hot stamped and can't be engraved easily. The old text would have to be machined or sanded off, then engraved. Here's where the real problem arrises, the switch plastic was made for hot stamping which gives them characteristics that are terrible for engraving. We've done other sets of these in the past and had lost money in all the time we had to spend making then look good. Even at $50 to $60 a switch wouldn't be enough money for us to take on this job. That plastic was made for hot stamping which we don't do.
Sorry for the disappointment.
Wayne

Wayne Cahoon
Aircraft Engravers
(860) 653-2780 Philadelphia 

15 minutes ago, Shrobby said:

Not trying to take anyone's work or take advantage of their time but does anyone have a 3d design they are willing to share.. I trying the avenue of plastic injecting..

Shrobby,

I built a 3D model and sent it to an injection molding company.  They had some concerns with the moldability of the design, and suggested some modifications.  I intend to make those changes.  The cost of making a mold is about 5k, so I think we would need to have a commitment for at least a few hundred of these covers to make the cost worthwhile.  I don't know if tge demand is high enough for that.  Definitely not high enough if there are more than one of us producing the covers, so thats why I don't want to share my model.  I did share a version formatted for 3d printing and I think it has been used to produce many of the 3d prints you see in this thread.

Dave C

24 minutes ago, dcastor said:

Shrobby,

I built a 3D model and sent it to an injection molding company.  They had some concerns with the moldability of the design, and suggested some modifications.  I intend to make those changes.  The cost of making a mold is about 5k, so I think we would need to have a commitment for at least a few hundred of these covers to make the cost worthwhile.  I don't know if tge demand is high enough for that.  Definitely not high enough if there are more than one of us producing the covers, so thats why I don't want to share my model.  I did share a version formatted for 3d printing and I think it has been used to produce many of the 3d prints you see in this thread.

Dave C

Has anyone tried to figure out who made the original covers for the Klixon switches? At one point they were obviously made and labeled. The new covers from Klixon are ridged and I suspect the demand for the labeled covers dropped off with Mooney switching to ETAs and they just stopped producing them. Perhaps we can find out who original made them and have them make them again? Anyone skilled at investigative research?

2 hours ago, Shrobby said:

Dave have you figured a way to get them engraved.?

I talked with aircraft engravers a long time ago.  I figure if he can't engrave on the plastic we use...then it should be possible to use the same mold with a different plastic formula.

Alternatively, I've also been looking at options for hot stamping (like the originals).

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

When it comes to injection molding of plastic parts...  (see if @Hank has some input)

The finished part dimensions have a lot in common with the physical properties of the polymer being molded, and the process parameters being used during the molding process.

In other words...

An expensive mold can be rendered useless, by changing the polymer you intend to use. (Shrinkage...)

The challenge comes from the different density, between the melted polymer, and the finished crystallized product being used...

These nifty switch pieces are a tight fit, with an undercut, that is used to fasten it to the switch.  

Tight tolerances are required.

Looking at it in a similar fashion,  how many attempts did it take to get a 3D printed one to fit right?  Change the drawing and try again... a few renditions...

With injection molding, change the drawing, build a new expensive mold, and try again....

There have been some really impressive updates in polymer science to get molded parts to fit with precision...  the quantities required to make economic sense are quite large...

Now, If you can 3D print an Injection Mold... take your mold and go visit with a local molding shop....  (visit the shop first before making a mold, bring the parts with you)

It probably makes sense to go back to the switch manufacturer and talk to their sales guy, or VP of sales, and ask to buy 1000 or 10,000 switch covers...

Sooner or later a light will come on in the right person to make this happen.

• They aren't selling switches to anyone looking for a new switch cover...
  • they can make money selling a dozen switch covers to a bunch of MSers...
  • They can build goodwill for their company by supporting their old product, while they make a few clams...

When it comes to decorating... hot stamp, routing, or other 3D type of surface altering technology is important. The use of the switches is tough on any inks that get touched... even UV crosslinked inks aren't tough enough to last years... laser etching is a relatively new decorating process for plastics.  It works better on some polymer chemistries than others...

I tried the email routine a while back, but that didn’t get the response that was needed... they have part numbers for all the different switch caps, but no way to order one...

Best regards,

-a-

• 4 weeks later...