New Klixon switch covers

19 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Is PLA poly lactic acid?

Funny aroma and pretty low melt temp... from memory

It is interesting how the back side appears nicer.  Can you build it in reverse order to get the nice side on the front?

Best regards,

-a-

Yes. PLA=polylactic acid.  Not much odor, at least, not at printing temperatures.

I will try a few tricks to make them better, such as using smaller diameter nozzles, and printing four in 90 degree rotations to see if/which is best.

• Like 2

On 3/27/2017 at 2:15 PM, Ah-1 Cobra Pilot said:

Yes. PLA=polylactic acid.  Not much odor, at least, not at printing temperatures.

I will try a few tricks to make them better, such as using smaller diameter nozzles, and printing four in 90 degree rotations to see if/which is best.

We bought my son a dual extruder 3D printer.  He seems to get the best results with ABS, but I see a lot of the same issues you're having.  Was there any reason you chose PLA over ABS?

3 minutes ago, peevee said:

Maybe because it's a test run and pla is cheap and fast.

I think the price is similar for either filament.  We're still learning ourselves.  I thought maybe it had something to do with material characteristics?  

ABS does have a reputation for being more difficult to print than PLA, doesn't like drafty areas, higher temperatures needed, smelly, really likes an enclosure. I have a spool of PETG in white that I may try these out with if I ever get some spare time. PETG is considered to be sort of the half-way between PLA and ABS, prints more like PLA but more like ABS in temperature resistance and strength. I suspect nylon would also be a good answer for these, but I don't have any on-hand.

6 hours ago, rbridges said:

We bought my son a dual extruder 3D printer.  He seems to get the best results with ABS, but I see a lot of the same issues you're having.  Was there any reason you chose PLA over ABS?

It was because I had black and white PLA, but only black and clear ABS on hand. 

PLA is actually easier to print than ABS.  ABS has a higher print temperature, it requires a heated/hotter bed, it warps much, much more, it emits more/worse odor, etc.  ABS is also somewhat stronger and has a higher glass transition temperature which will allow it to remain stable in higher ambient heat, (think hot car/cockpit).  I get them both for the same price, (about $15/kg), but I would prefer to use what I have on hand as opposed to buying more.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steve W said:

ABS does have a reputation for being more difficult to print than PLA, doesn't like drafty areas, higher temperatures needed, smelly, really likes an enclosure. I have a spool of PETG in white that I may try these out with if I ever get some spare time. PETG is considered to be sort of the half-way between PLA and ABS, prints more like PLA but more like ABS in temperature resistance and strength. I suspect nylon would also be a good answer for these, but I don't have any on-hand.

PETG is good stuff to experiment with.  It is sort of in between ABS and PLA, but is is stickier than either and adheres to a print bed better than the other two.  I did print some switch covers with some gray PETG, but not dual colored.  For final switch covers, I think ASA or Nylon is a must.  Both will be more stable in a cockpit environment, although ASA is more impervious to ultraviolet rays.

2016-12-20 15.12.24.jpg

15 minutes ago, Ah-1 Cobra Pilot said:

It was because I had black and white PLA, but only black and clear ABS on hand. 

PLA is actually easier to print than ABS.  ABS has a higher print temperature, it requires a heated/hotter bed, it warps much, much more, it emits more/worse odor, etc.  ABS is also somewhat stronger and has a higher glass transition temperature which will allow it to remain stable in higher ambient heat, (think hot car/cockpit).  I get them both for the same price, (about $15/kg), but I would prefer to use what I have on hand as opposed to buying more.

Haha. My son had some friends over and my wife freaked out because she thought someone was smoking upstairs.  Turned out to be the printer and the abs filament. :D

Additional things to consider...

ABS has a tendency to turn brown with age/UV exposure...

PETG, a chemically modified version of PET (soda bottle polymer) has good UV resistance.  Used for large outdoor signs.

PETG probably is low viscosity.  Watery when melted.  Difficult to use a screw pump (extruder) with when it gets too hot. This is based on my PET experience.

PETG is used for plastic beer bottles.  More expensive than PET, but better at keeping CO2 in and O2 out.  Not really an issue for plastic switch covers....:)

Best regards,

-a–

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2017 at 2:38 PM, johnmaher said:

Hi Notar,

I would be interested.  Just broke my Elect Trim cover.

J. Maher

Hi John, I'm copying and pasting a post I made back in December for the one contact I made at Oshkosh last year offering to make switch covers. I posted pictures of the final product at the bottom of page 3 of this thread.  You may also consider Shapeways v.6 switch covers. But there also appear to be some really nice ones here that some MSers are making.

Okay guys, sorry for the delay but they finally got back to me with contact information for anyone who wants to make an order. As a reminder I have no affiliation with them and accept no responsibility for any order you place between yourself and them. I do believe they are legitimate but your orders may take a while. If someone wants to make a bulk purchase to get the costs down then please feel free.

Here's part of the email I received...

We can offer Switch Covers in a multitude of colors: Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Silver, Black, White, Gray, Copper and Bronze. 
In addition, we handle a Pale Green, Transluscent, Glow in the Dark product that is perfect for switches having pilot lighting. (Thermal parameters of the lighting will require prototyping to ensure the appropriate application of product.)

We can distribute to users you refer to us. Contact by texting Neil or Ian at NDesign, LLC  262-893-7272 or email to   ndombroe@att.net

The per unit price will be as follows,

1-3units $12.00 each

4-6units $10.50 each
7-9units $  9.60 each
10+units $  8.80 each
All orders will be charged $6.00 for shipping and handling. Standard UPS Ground.
Allow 3 weeks for shipment. Expediting is available charged on a per order basis.

All orders must be prepaid.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi John, I'm copying and pasting a post I made back in December for the one contact I made at Oshkosh last year offering to make switch covers. I posted pictures of the final product at the bottom of page 3 of this thread.  You may also consider Shapeways v.6 switch covers. But there also appear to be some really nice ones here that some MSers are making.

Posted December 28, 2016 
Okay guys, sorry for the delay but they finally got back to me with contact information for anyone who wants to make an order. As a reminder I have no affiliation with them and accept no responsibility for any order you place between yourself and them. I do believe they are legitimate but your orders may take a while. If someone wants to make a bulk purchase to get the costs down then please feel free.
Here's part of the email I received...
We can offer Switch Covers in a multitude of colors: Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Silver, Black, White, Gray, Copper and Bronze. 
In addition, we handle a Pale Green, Transluscent, Glow in the Dark product that is perfect for switches having pilot lighting. (Thermal parameters of the lighting will require prototyping to ensure the appropriate application of product.)

We can distribute to users you refer to us. Contact by texting Neil or Ian at NDesign, LLC  262-893-7272 or email to   ndombroe@att.net
The per unit price will be as follows,

1-3units $12.00 each
4-6units $10.50 each
7-9units $  9.60 each
10+units $  8.80 each
All orders will be charged $6.00 for shipping and handling. Standard UPS Ground.
Allow 3 weeks for shipment. Expediting is available charged on a per order basis.
All orders must be prepaid.

So has anyone actually bought these? How about posting a review and some pictures please.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 5/9/2017 at 6:38 PM, capthaak said:

So has anyone actually bought these? How about posting a review and some pictures please.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 3 of this thread all the way at the bottom are pictures of what they sent me. They were decent quality but without text.

Page 3 of this thread all the way at the bottom are pictures of what they sent me. They were decent quality but without text.

So NotarPilot, are the ones you sent me the same one from your December 28th post that CaptHaak quoted a few above? Is this the guy who will make them?

I think most of us want to know who is the person we need to contact to have these made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

8 hours ago, John Mininger said:

Is there any farther status report from Chocks on laser printing the covers? Are you taking orders yet for the printing Chocks?

Also, does anyone have experience using the Shapeways v0.6 covers? As opposed to the v0.5.

Thanks

I've been trying to reach him for weeks with no luck. Phone goes straight to voice mail. Left a message and no joy......

17 hours ago, Marauder said:

So NotarPilot, are the ones you sent me the same one from your December 28th post that CaptHaak quoted a few above? Is this the guy who will make them?

I think most of us want to know who is the person we need to contact to have these made.

Yes, one was from the Oshkosh contact and the other one was a Shapeways.  The contact info is midway down on page 4 of this thread.

12 hours ago, John Mininger said:

Is there any farther status report from Chocks on laser printing the covers? Are you taking orders yet for the printing Chocks?

Also, does anyone have experience using the Shapeways v0.6 covers? As opposed to the v0.5.

Thanks

I bought a set of the Shapeways v.6 and they seem to be satisfactory.

7 hours ago, ziggysanchez said:

I've been trying to reach him for weeks with no luck. Phone goes straight to voice mail. Left a message and no joy......

I can 3d print these covers without text for anyone that wants them at $5 each plus $6 shipping, color is currently limited to white or black.  Send me a PM. I shared my 3d model with the "Oshkosh contact" so the shape and fit should be identical. 

Send me a PM. 

Dave C

I can 3d print these covers without text for anyone that wants them at $5 each plus $6 shipping, color is currently limited to white or black.  Send me a PM. I shared my 3d model with the "Oshkosh contact" so the shape and fit should be identical. 
Send me a PM. 
Dave C

I think what is confusing everyone is who to go to with the ones with the best fit. If I understand you correctly, you shared the design you created with the Oshkosh guy and you both are able to produce these from the same model which should result in the same fit. And according to NotarPilot, there is some fine tuning to make them fit better but they are close.

The Shapeway ones are based on a different model and now NotarPilot confirms v.6 are a good fit. I have some of the Shapeway and they don't fit well for me. I will need to check which version I ordered from them.

Did I get this right? I will find the prices for the other producers and put them all in one post.

All of these being produced have no labels and the person we thought might be able to label them is AWOL (Chocks). Anyone else capable of making labels for them?

Marauder,

I am using 3d prints from my model in my airplane without any modification.  There are some settings that can affect the final outcome so it's possible that the "Oshkosh contact" is using slightly different settings and that may result in a slightly different fit.

As to the labels, I have experimented some with printing with a void for lettering...the text comes out pretty clean, but adding contrasting color is the challenge. I'm still working on that solution.

The Shapeways .7 version was made by someone else, I bought an earlier version (.5 maybe?) and I was also unhappy with the fit.  I can't speak to how well .7 fits.  Shapeways material uses a technique that results in a rough surface and the plastic powder tends to shed unless you seal it somehow (spray paint)?  My method is filament deposition...the surface appears to have stripes but at least it doesn't shed.

Dave