New Klixon switch covers

I have been fiddlefucking with my dual extruder addition for way too long, trying to get it to work correctly.  I think I am getting close to having it done.  Once I am, I plan to print white switches with black lettering embedded, which I think will be the best solution.  Standby for more...

I dont need the second color inside. I embed the color back in after I engrave it.

All I need are plain white covers. I'll handle the rest. They need to be confirmed for fitment though. I don't want to engrave and finish a cover just to have it not fit the switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/31/2017 at 3:45 PM, "Chocks" said:

I dont need the second color inside. I embed the color back in after I engrave it.

All I need are plain white covers. I'll handle the rest. They need to be confirmed for fitment though. I don't want to engrave and finish a cover just to have it not fit the switch.

I can send you an original cover from one of my spare switches but I would like it back when you're done.  PM me an address and I'll mail it to you.

I can send you an original cover from one of my spare switches but I would like it back when you're done.  PM me an address and I'll mail it to you.

Squawk Shoppe LLC
1320 Cabelas Dr
Unit 1333
Buda, Tx

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The dual extruder prints still left something to be desired.  I used black and white PLA to print these covers.  I was hoping the 'black-lettered' version would not lose so much detail as does the recessed version of the lettering.  I also used some black fingernail polish on the one, which does fill the lettering better, but still not as nice as I would like it to be.

Chocks, I will send you a few with no lettering so you can try the engraving.  The nylon ones will probably be best, and they can be dyed any color.

IMG_20170214_164442683.jpg

The dual extruder prints still left something to be desired.  I used black and white PLA to print these covers.  I was hoping the 'black-lettered' version would not lose so much detail as does the recessed version of the lettering.  I also used some black fingernail polish on the one, which does fill the lettering better, but still not as nice as I would like it to be.
Chocks, I will send you a few with no lettering so you can try the engraving.  The nylon ones will probably be best, and they can be dyed any color.
IMG_20170214_164442683.thumb.jpg.87caf60e2c91d1cd82cacd2a47887e12.jpg

How is the fit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just got the first set of test switches in the mail. I'm not in the shop today, but should have some examples ready by the end of the week. I want to test fit in the plane and follow up with these guys to work out logistics, pricing, etc.
I don't see any issues so far, so it should go well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, "Chocks" said:

Ok I'm about to laser these up for the test. Anything specific I should put on this first set @AH-1 Cobra Pilot and [mention=8227]NotarPilot[/mention]?

Thanks for doing this!  On the 'top' face make it:

PUSH
ON

And on the 'bottom' face make it:

ELEV
TRIM

And/or:

NAV
LITE

IMG_20170210_125502632.jpg

Edited by Ah-1 Cobra Pilot
clarification
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One more try for dual-color 3-D printing replacement switch covers:

I increased the font size, which I did not want to do, and made the lettering deeper.  In fact, I think the back side looks better than the front, and I definitely need to center the NAV LITE.  These are printed in PLA, which is not suitable for long-term life in a hot cockpit; I should hope nylon, etc. can be made to look the same.

58d92092286dc_2017-03-2708_46_01.thumb.jpg.73054fbc2804de33b3e0850e168f986b.jpg58d920e2794d2_2017-03-2709_04_48.thumb.jpg.3247b24f0afd6f94014d4123320350ad.jpg