New Klixon switch covers

The power of MS...

Very impressive!

Plan C, consider using UV curing inks.  They stick to plastics pretty well and chemically solidify initiated by a UV light source.  The  cured ink resists wear moderately well. Wear resistance is improved by being below the surface that finger actually touches.

http://www.sunchemical.com/product/suncure-for-gravure/?gclid=CLTT15D1z9ECFYeFswodT74DFw

Packaging / commercial polymer engineering 102, not the ordinary PP stuff I usually go with...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

1 hour ago, "Chocks" said:

Why dont you print the buttons and let me laser engrave the letters with color. It will save you lots of printing time and I can get super clean cutouts.

Let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What color(s) do you want to try?  What material?  I have ABS, PLA, PETG, Nylon, CF-ABS, GF-PETG, and CF-Nylon.

The voids in the core of the substrate dont affect my process as long as your surface layers are thicker than .0010. I don't dig that deep.

The best for me to engrave and color is PLA or PETG. ABS is pretty toxic and doesn't really cut very well, more melts than anything.

Lets do the primary flight deck colors for now. Black, Grey and White.

Send them to
Squawk Shoppe LLC
1320 Cabelas Dr
Unit 1333
Buda, Tx

• Like 1

Chocks,  how are you etching the surface?

polymers often have a softening temperature or range.  It might help if you can use a stream of air to help cool the surface while 'etching' it.

Polylactic acid? Great for bio-degradable applications (what else does PLA stand for?)

PETG is often used for thermoformed outdoor signs.  Glycolated polyester terepthalate, a modified version of the soda bottle plastic...

ABS known for good impact resistance.  Styrene butadiene acrylonitrile copolymer. A rubber molecule is on the polymer backbone.

strong aromas are not necessarily a sign of toxicity.  Being aroma free doesn't mean they are safe.  Use good ventilation with any of these.  No need to breath any of it...

Most often polymers are a blend of chemicals that aid with stability, processability, fire resistance and color.  Chemistry that is best not ingested.

Safety levels of the finished product are different than the safety levels of the dust, and heated or burnt materials...

This is from old memories that may not be very accurate.  It is intended to demonstrate that some basic caution should be used to avoid breathing the chemistry when possible.  The chemical industry has a history of using things like heavy metals and asbestos without telling the public what's in there.  Materials coming from outside the U.S. may not follow the same safety guidelines that are usually expected from inside the US.

Trying to be helpful even if it doesn't seem that way...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, "Chocks" said:

The voids in the core of the substrate dont affect my process as long as your surface layers are thicker than .0010. I don't dig that deep.

The best for me to engrave and color is PLA or PETG. ABS is pretty toxic and doesn't really cut very well, more melts than anything.

Lets do the primary flight deck colors for now. Black, Grey and White.

Send them to
Squawk Shoppe LLC
1320 Cabelas Dr
Unit 1333
Buda, Tx

I only have white and black in ABS and Red and Blue in PLA.  I will send a couple in red and blue so you can experiment with those and maybe pick up some black and white if I have another need for it and your results are good.   I've been more impressed with the printing results from ABS,  it just seems to flow better, but I'm excited to see what you can do.  

Dave

Chocks,  how are you etching the surface?
polymers often have a softening temperature or range.  It might help if you can use a stream of air to help cool the surface while 'etching' it.
Polylactic acid? Great for bio-degradable applications (what else does PLA stand for?)
PETG is often used for thermoformed outdoor signs.  Glycolated polyester terepthalate, a modified version of the soda bottle plastic...
ABS known for good impact resistance.  Styrene butadiene acrylonitrile copolymer. A rubber molecule is on the polymer backbone.
strong aromas are not necessarily a sign of toxicity.  Being aroma free doesn't mean they are safe.  Use good ventilation with any of these.  No need to breath any of it...
Most often polymers are a blend of chemicals that aid with stability, processability, fire resistance and color.  Chemistry that is best not ingested.
Safety levels of the finished product are different than the safety levels of the dust, and heated or burnt materials...
This is from old memories that may not be very accurate.  It is intended to demonstrate that some basic caution should be used to avoid breathing the chemistry when possible.  The chemical industry has a history of using things like heavy metals and asbestos without telling the public what's in there.  Materials coming from outside the U.S. may not follow the same safety guidelines that are usually expected from inside the US.
Trying to be helpful even if it doesn't seem that way...  
Best regards,
-a-

Well, it appears this part of your memory is intake or you spent hours "googleresearching".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I only have white and black in ABS and Red and Blue in PLA.  I will send a couple in red and blue so you can experiment with those and maybe pick up some black and white if I have another need for it and your results are good.   I've been more impressed with the printing results from ABS,  it just seems to flow better, but I'm excited to see what you can do.  
Dave

Dave - thanks for doing this.

I recently bought a cheapo label maker from Staples for $25 and spent another $22 for white on black tape. I used some Shapeways 3D printed switch covers and I think the result isn't half bad. Thoughts?
IMG_0408.JPG
IMG_0409.JPG

They look pretty good. You should have told me you were doing the white on black labels. I have a Brother label maker and tons of that TZ tape.

12a3dfa8fff2fd773333ec5745bfe121.jpg

On 1/19/2017 at 8:53 PM, dcastor said:

I thought you all would like to see my latest revision.  The text looks a bit streaky because it's just a magic marker (its a prototype), but the text is actually raised.

I may try to do recessed letters and fill with paint (similar to the originals).  This may be motivation to upgrade my 3d printer to two extruders so I can print in two colors.

Please don't buy the ones for from this NDesign company... I can do better than their prints now and while I can't promise they would come out quickly, I would be glad to provide them for half what they are charging.

Dave

20170119_204105.jpg

20170119_204112.jpg

Just out of curiosity, what Printer and filament are you using?  My son saved up his money and bought an entry level printer. It's really fascinating to me, and I've seen some of the end result issues that have plagued these covers.  

5 hours ago, dcastor said:

I have a Makergear M2, using 1.75mm ABS filament. Keep experimenting and reading there are lots of settings that can mess up a print,  I've done a lot of trial and error. 

I have 2-M2's at work and a personal one at home. They are one of the better 3d printers available.  One has the factory dual head, the other has a custom dual head. The factory dual head leaves a lot to be desired, mostly due to the second print head dribbling as it hovers over the print area. The ooze shield also slows the printing time considerably. 

Edited by N601RX

17 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

Just an idea but have you tried sanding or filing the surface in order to get a nice smooth surface so the paint won't run between the lines?

As I said...it's just magic marker, it was a prototype.  Sanding isn't an option with this design because the letters are raised.  If I do a version with recessed letters I might try that.  I'd also like to try some of your UV ink idea, but I haven't been able to find a suitable source.  So far I've only find UV ink for printers.

Edited by dcastor
Adding detail

Additional printing ink ideas...

1) The UV ink for dry offset printers is a paste.  Comes in a can.  You might be able to get a sample tube for testing purposes...?

2) Pad printers are a small scale version of the dry-offset printer.  They are used for printing on golf balls.  Same inks as dry-offset... ink is available on a small scale this way...

3) rubber stamps are the most basic form of printers. The common solvent based inks are not as durable as the UV curable inks.

See if this is helpful...?

Best regards,

-a-

15 hours ago, TTaylor said:

has anyone sent some to:

http://www.engravers.net/rocker-sw.html

Also, NotarPilot; How do the printed ones fit?

The ones from the Oshkosh guy fit snug. 

8 hours ago, rbridges said:

Is mooney the only company that used these particular switches?  I'm a little surprised that there is absolutely no one that sells these covers.

You can get some covers from Shapeways right now. They are decent but just don't have any recessed labels which is what I would really like.

I don't care where you guys get the covers from. Just send me the blanks with the copy request.
My role here is to make them look factory labeled.

I can 3D print them, but I like the collaboration work!

Just let me know.

• Like 1