New Klixon switch covers

I'd like to get an idea on how many people would be interested in participating in a bulk order for the Klixon switch covers for their rocker switches. I met a guy at Airventure, who was doing some 3D printing and after a brief chat he said he could do it. I purchased some through Shapeways but I was not happy with them as they had a brittle, somewhat grainy, feel to the plastic. 

I told the guy I wanted him to use a plastic material which could have a smooth finish with the possibility to even label the switch covers.  There's a set up cost of about $125 for his time to do the R&D. After the design process, the cost per switch would be around $7-$10 each. I'm willing front the cost for the design and a set for my plane to evaluate them if I get enough interest from other owners as well.  Here's a photo of my switch so you know which model of switch I'm referring to.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by NotarPilot
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, peevee said:

Interested, but how is he making these? If he's 3d printing I'd be surprised if they're better than what is already available. 

I have seen some pretty amazingly smooth 3d printings in university labs.  Also, made in all sorts materials.

• Like 1

A good printer will only leave slight ridges on each layer. They can be sanded off easily. I purchased a spool of carbon fiber reinforced PETG material and it is very strong.  If someone will send me a extra switch cover I will be happy to make a 3dmodel of it. 

• Like 1

I've already got a good 3d model if it avoids some of the design costs, I'd be willing to share.  I tested it with Shapeways and the fit is perfect...but I wasn't happy with the finish.  If he can do better I'm in.

• Like 1

Hey Steve, any idea what (color) material these covers will be? Mine have no issues other than some discoloration and wear to the lettering.

I recently replaced all of my interior placards and labeled all the switches in the process. They would look better on black switch covers but it's not a big deal.

IMG_6048 (2).JPG

I imagine we would have choices of either black or white switch covers. It all depends on the plastic available to the guys doing the printing. 

Also, if this all works out I would prefer to have all interested parties deal directly with the printers. I have no interest in making money at this or taking on any liability for craftsmanship, quality, customer complaints, etc. I'm just hoping we could make this a little cheaper for us all by developing greater interest from the community.

7 hours ago, cnoe said:

Hey Steve, any idea what (color) material these covers will be? Mine have no issues other than some discoloration and wear to the lettering.

I recently replaced all of my interior placards and labeled all the switches in the process. They would look better on black switch covers but it's not a big deal.

IMG_6048 (2).JPG