New Photo Pilot License

Carusoam,....I think your Bob Marley (look alike)is very funny and so true...I have trouble believing it is gonna cost over 700 million for 600,000 copies...they state of california does millions of photo id/biometric/hologram anti forgery/magnetic encrypted licenses a year.The cost is about 20 million for equip/supplies.I guess considering this whole thing is congressionally madated and the aurthor of the original bill requiring biometrics in the first place has gone back to the Faa demanding why it has not been implemented since 2007 the faa is not too keen on the idea either.Anyway,for the give me freedom or give me death people...we dont really have a "right" to fly...it really is a privledge and I guess if I have to go downtown get another passport photo and submit for a photo ID...I am going to look at the bright side...or at least make lemonade out of this issue because i like to pick battles that really matter and I have a chance at winning.

The reality of this is that we are not a free as we think we are.  Everyday the gov't creeps deeper and deeper into our lives and our pockets.  Think about it if you had a piece real-estate with no mortgage and no debt you still lease it from the gov't (property taxes) but I digress.

Ultimately if it comes to pass I will get one as well but all I'm saying is let's try to spark up AOPA and others to at least take an official position against it.

This was part of a post 911 homeland security act of congress passed in 2004. I just find it ironic that you can still rent a ryder truck that you can load up with thousands of pounds of whatever(fertilizer oil etc) without being checked against any lists, park it in front of any building you want and nobody cares. All you need is a drivers license that you do not even need to be a legal citizen obtain. But if you fly a vehicle that weighs less then a Smart Car, can only carry a couple hundred pounds you have to be contained by fences that you need badges to get through, special checks to get a license, now a photo on your certificate. 

I am not against photos on pilots licenses per se, but it just seems a little unfair.Yell

I'll step off my soap box nowSmile

Quote: scottfromiowa

I'm proud of my kids.  I got an airplane and my license as an expedited form of transportation.  I think there is a lot of apathy out in the world of the taxpayer right now.  Don't be whining when gas tax, registration fee etc.. go up as the federal government continues to "tap" general aviation for funds...

Where is the outrage?

You all must have nice cozy jobs that you don't worry about 9.8% unemployment and the direction of the Federal Government.

Maybe I should just say "what my worry"...

Look on the bright side...it now looks like you can use your photo pilots licencse to identify yourself when you send a package via UPS or other carrier that now requires a photo ID to mail a box to your mother for Xmas ;)

UPS Adds Photo ID Requirement for Retail Shipping
By Ina Steiner
AuctionBytes.com
December 10, 2010