Who's Installing a G5?

3914N

I checked out a friend's airplane today with a recently installed G5. When you push the cursor button and scroll all the way to the right, there is a HSI button. Selecting that brings up an HSI. I know that Garmin has not (and reportedly plans not to) certified the G5 to be used as a HSI.

For those that have the G5 installed, do you have this page also? I would guess that it's "not for navigation" if it really is in there on the STC'd G5.

Just now, AaronDC8402 said:

I checked out a friend's airplane today with a recently installed G5. When you push the cursor button and scroll all the way to the right, there is a HSI button. Selecting that brings up an HSI. I know that Garmin has not (and reportedly plans not to) certified the G5 to be used as a HSI.

For those that have the G5 installed, do you have this page also? I would guess that it's "not for navigation" if it really is in there on the STC'd G5.

From what I have read on Aviation Consumer, the HSI can be used if it's wired in.

G5_HSI.jpg

The STC'd version of the G5 is a different part number, and has no HSI, autopilot, or nav functions. It is simply an attitude indicator wth airspeed, altitude and altitude reminder bug. That's it. There's no installing the experimental version in the pilot station of the panel either. The STC is keyed to the part number of the unit. 

• Like 1

Here's another question - anyone installing the experimental version of the G5 in a Mooney? From what I know it can be done and tied into the primary pitot static but cannot replace any of the primary instruments (i.e. Six pack must remain).

I'd be interested in a G5 certified top center and an experimental G5 in my current CDI#1 slot right of the altimeter. Move nav#1 CDI down one and push the never used nav #2 to the right of the panel. Wouldn't allow for removal of the vacuum instruments however. At that point an Aspen would be might appealing and probably less complex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just picked up my plane from Lancaster Avionics post G5 install.  In two words LOVE IT!!!  

Before                                                                         After

IMG_1037.jpg          After.jpg

Install was pretty straight forward, although they did have to expand the Vacuum AI hole so the raised bezel of the G5 would fit under the Mortiz gauge pack.  What inpressed me was the level of precision that the G5 gives compared to a standard vacuum AI.  You can actually see the pitch changes on the G5 vice the vacuum AI where a very small amount of movement on the artificial horizon resulted in significant VSI change.  The G5 allows you to see very small pitch changes much more clearly.  Also it auto levels in flight so if you slow down or speed up, it automatically readjusts the pitch so level flight = level indication.  Nice!  

The best part of the mod is that The vacuum system no longer powers anything.  So the dreaded vacuum pump failure is no longer an issue.  The G5's battery back up is good for up to 4 HOURS!.  Overall cost for the G5 with options was $2400, and install was about $3000.  So for just over $5k I've been able to eliminate my vacuum system, and get an integrated EFIS.  

• Like 4

On 11/11/2016 at 5:46 PM, AaronDC8402 said:

So, George- Can you shed any light on this?

We are trying to determine if the HSI functionality is available at all in the STC'd version.

Thanks,

Ben

1 hour ago, APTUS Pilot said:

So, George- Can you shed any light on this?

We are trying to determine if the HSI functionality is available at all in the STC'd version.

Thanks,

Ben

From the Beechtalk list and other sources the answer is No.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GeorgePerry said:

Just picked up my plane from Lancaster Avionics post G5 install.  In two words LOVE IT!!!  

Before                                                                         After

IMG_1037.jpg          After.jpg

Install was pretty straight forward, although they did have to expand the Vacuum AI hole so the raised bezel of the G5 would fit under the Mortiz gauge pack.  What inpressed me was the level of precision that the G5 gives compared to a standard vacuum AI.  You can actually see the pitch changes on the G5 vice the vacuum AI where a very small amount of movement on the artificial horizon resulted in significant VSI change.  The G5 allows you to see very small pitch changes much more clearly.  Also it auto levels in flight so if you slow down or speed up, it automatically readjusts the pitch so level flight = level indication.  Nice!  

The best part of the mod is that The vacuum system no longer powers anything.  So the dreaded vacuum pump failure is no longer an issue.  The G5's battery back up is good for up to 4 HOURS!.  Overall cost for the G5 with options was $2400, and install was about $3000.  So for just over $5k I've been able to eliminate my vacuum system, and get an integrated EFIS.  

So what is driving your auto pilot?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

Holy crap! $3000 for installation? I was under the impression it would only take a few hours to install. I was thinking maybe 5 or 6 hours tops. I hope that $3000 was due to the movement of the Moritz gauges. I have a G5 ready to go in a box just need to schedule a day to get it installed.

Was wondering the same thing . 

2 hours ago, GeorgePerry said:

It was alot of custom fitting b/c of the clearance issues.  Also I had a stand alone WAAS GPS antenna installed to support the G5 since all of my ports in the GNS430 were full.  So my install wasn't typical

The GNS has 4 RS-232 out connections ... Curious as to where they are going 

On 11/12/2016 at 8:59 AM, jetdriven said:

The STC'd version of the G5 is a different part number, and has no HSI, autopilot, or nav functions. It is simply an attitude indicator wth airspeed, altitude and altitude reminder bug. That's it. There's no installing the experimental version in the pilot station of the panel either. The STC is keyed to the part number of the unit. 

Typical STC cert process with the FAA.   We pay more and get less. :(

Holy crap! $3000 for installation? I was under the impression it would only take a few hours to install. I was thinking maybe 5 or 6 hours tops. I hope that $3000 was due to the movement of the Moritz gauges. I have a G5 ready to go in a box just need to schedule a day to get it installed.

He went to a shop that is not known for economical pricing. I will be getting a few quotes in the next couple of weeks. Other than the pitot static and electrical connections, he may have been charged for a IFR cert on top of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1