Who's Installing a G5?

3914N

44 minutes ago, donkaye said:

"Its driving me nuts because I can see exactly what I want and its clear they can make it, but not for me yet. I like the L3 EHIS 3000 and 4000 but can't find the price. I think that means "If you have to ask you can't afford it."

You're right about that.  These are for jet aircraft.  The best you are going to do right now is the L3 ESI 500 and that starts around $5,300.  That's what I have and I love it.

http://sarasotaavionics.com/avionics/esi500

When I get my new GTN 650, can the  L3 ESI 500 function as my CDI or since its standby do I have to get an additional CDI, even though I'd mostly be looking at the ESI 500. Since its a Standby Instrument system, what can it replace?

1 hour ago, pinerunner said:

When I get my new GTN 650, can the  L3 ESI 500 function as my CDI or since its standby do I have to get an additional CDI, even though I'd mostly be looking at the ESI 500. Since its a Standby Instrument system, what can it replace?

I'm not sure of the answer, but I have emailed Jim Keeth from L-3 and expect an answer shortly.

1 hour ago, donkaye said:

I'm not sure of the answer, but I have emailed Jim Keeth from L-3 and expect an answer shortly.

JIm Keeth is traveling, but I got this back from one of their senior field service engineers:

"Mr. Kaye -

Jim Keeth is travelling out of the country and asked me to respond to your question.

I do not see any reason why you could not use it for the application you are describing.  The ESI-500 meets TSO C34e (VHF Glideslope), TSO C36e (VHF Localizer), and TSO C40c (VHF VOR), amoung others.  In our GH3XXX ESIS products we meet these same TSOs and I know in the Boeing BBJ with the GH-3000 ESIS, that ESIS NAV function is used for the NAV display when they add the 3rd NAV system option.

Regards,

Russ Myers

Sr. Field Service Engineer

L-3 Aviation Products

russ.myers@L-3com.com"

• Like 1

Just now, donkaye said:

JIm Keeth is traveling, but I got this back from one of their senior field service engineers:

"Mr. Kaye -

Jim Keeth is travelling out of the country and asked me to respond to your question.

I do not see any reason why you could not use it for the application you are describing.  The ESI-500 meets TSO C34e (VHF Glideslope), TSO C36e (VHF Localizer), and TSO C40c (VHF VOR), amoung others.  In our GH3XXX ESIS products we meet these same TSOs and I know in the Boeing BBJ with the GH-3000 ESIS, that ESIS NAV function is used for the NAV display when they add the 3rd NAV system option.

Regards,

Russ Myers

Sr. Field Service Engineer

L-3 Aviation Products

russ.myers@L-3com.com"

Good to know. Wish they had that on their product brochure.

This means the ESI-500 can for be used as an indicator for a NAV like the KX-155 but what about for a GNS 430 or GTN 650 (toggle between VLOC function and GPS).

Not sure what the requirement is but I understand some King indicators can only be used for a VLOC while others can be used for both VLOC and GPS  

26 minutes ago, OR75 said:

Good to know. Wish they had that on their product brochure.

This means the ESI-500 can for be used as an indicator for a NAV like the KX-155 but what about for a GNS 430 or GTN 650 (toggle between VLOC function and GPS).

Not sure what the requirement is but I understand some King indicators can only be used for a VLOC while others can be used for both VLOC and GPS  

The ESI 500 supports 1 VOR/ILS input and 1 GPS input.  You can switch between the two on the unit.  I put a switch in my plane so I can get 2 VOR/ILSs and 2 GPSs, of course one at a time.

18 hours ago, donkaye said:

The ESI 500 supports 1 VOR/ILS input and 1 GPS input.  You can switch between the two on the unit.  I put a switch in my plane so I can get 2 VOR/ILSs and 2 GPSs, of course one at a time.

good looking unit for sure and I like the synthetic vision and magnetometers options

But wish it was available for direct purchase (and not "installed" only). As and A&P I like to do my own installs.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, jamesm said:

Does anyone know if Garmin is planing to get the  HSI version of the G5 form factor approved for us certified aircraft owners?

And if so  would it have a full  LOC/GS ability to being driven by King KSN 770 or other manufacture GPS, NAV/COM's ?

Thanks,

James '67C

According to Trek Lawler from Garmin on Beechtalk the answer is no.

• 1 month later...

Works as advertised..Had mine a few weeks now. Panel is pretty well done. I've replaced the 796 with a 560 since this picture. The G5 works well..I actually catch myself scanning it much more than I thought I would. Since it's mounted front and center and the simplicity of it I guess it's only natural to take notice often.

-Tom 

Finished panel 2.JPG

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, drclive said:

Tom,

I still need to get the G5 installed. Could you please advise how much did it cost the installation? and how long time did it take to do it?

I'm looking forward to get my G5 onboard.

best,

Clive

Clive,

The install took less than a day. Pretty straight forward. Cost wise it was mixed in with other upgrades. The unit cost was about $1900. I had just written them a big check for panel upgrade and this was a last minute oversight on their part, I needed it since all  my vacuum equipment had been removed and it was something that was not planned for at the beginning.. Retail was about $2100, the shop said their cost was about 75% of retail, so he charged me the $1900. He did the install at no charge since it was their oversight ( if they volunteered to install for free you know it's not a big deal)..avionics shops don't do anything for free..lol

-Tom

8 hours ago, drclive said:

Tom,

I still need to get the G5 installed. Could you please advise how much did it cost the installation? and how long time did it take to do it?

I'm looking forward to get my G5 onboard.

best,

Clive

I asked this questions several times at Airventure. I was told around 5 hours should be about enough to install the G5. I asked avionics shops and Garmin.

• Like 2

My G5 got installed now. Apologies for the blurry photo I was flying and documenting the experience myself. At the end, Sarasota Avionics charged me $1000 for the installation.

I haven't had the chance to play with the G5 menu options.

Does anybody know how to align the wings with the horizon bar and the artificial horizon while on the ground?

At the moment I have a few degrees pitch up as default when I power up the G5 on the ground.

Best,

Clive

G5.jpg

• Like 1

I forgot to mention one important surprise. I bought this to completely replace my old vacuum driven attitude indicator. It turns out that because I have an autopilot (only heading) that uses the attitude indicator to know how much bank to do when I move the move to different heading, I can't replace it, but just keep the old one as a backup.

Clive

Just now, drclive said:

I forgot to mention one important surprise. I bought this to completely replace my old vacuum driven attitude indicator. It turns out that because I have an autopilot (only heading) that uses the attitude indicator to know how much bank to do when I move the move to different heading, I can't replace it, but just keep the old one as a backup.

Clive

Clive,

Are you saying here that your autopilot is still working but off the old AI?

Steve