Who's Installing a G5?

3914N

5 hours ago, MB65E said:

How do you like the G5 compaired to the Dynon?

I installed the D100 in a Pitts and the owner loved it. As a primary ADI in my Mooney I want to be sure!!!! I'm thinking D10 or G5. Leaning towards the G5 due to its coolness, but NOTAR's recent issues makes me think the old Dynon will be fine.

What happens in the Dynon when roll limitations were exceeded, the screen turns gray. What happens in the G5 when roll limitations are exceeded??

Cool Velocity panel. 

-Matt

Matt,

Not sure if you saw my most recent post in my thread about my G5 issue but after upgrading the firmware to v2.6 I have completed 4 short flights and the G5 seems to be rock solid now. I'm still going to reserve judgement for now but if it holds for say 5-10 hours without issue I will deem the unit "fixed."

I actually want to get a D10A next for the right side of the panel for any co-pilots I might fly with, CFIs and added redundancy from a separate unit. 

Randy,

I've always had a special place in my heart for Velocitys.  I actually test flew one, for sale, before buying my J. It's quite an airplane.  I still keep an open mind to buying a kit after I retire and building one or maybe just buying a used one.  But I don't understand why modern airplane designers haven't adopted and embraced the canard. From what I know, they just seem more efficient and safer since both are providing lift and the canard will always stall before the wing. 

Steve

I looked at buying a Velocity before I bought the 252. But in just a little light turbulence, that canard up front was vibrating up and down and is just to scary to watch. I don't know the builder, there aren't enough flying to verify the engineering and design when compared to a Mooney.  When I thought about crossing the country with the Mooney wing vs. the Velocity home built Canard?  I couldn't do it.

• Like 1

We live in Stockton California...  I bought the velocity at the factory in Sebastian Florida.  Since flying it home ( first stop in Austin Tx for fuel)  we have traveled back to OSH and Niagra falls one year and were off to the Bahamas last year.  IT is definitely is a comfortable cruising machine !   Yes the canard does flex in moderate turbulence just as it is designed to.  There has never been a Velocity break up in flight.   San Diego is 2 hours away, Seattle is 4 hours, and Cabo San Lucas is 4 hours south of the boarder non stop!

Fast and efficient , just like your Mooneys!

And yes, I am running into questions about my kt74.  The King STC does not apply to experimental installations....  but I may just trade it in for the Avidyne transponder so there is absolutely no question as to its legality.

It was featured in the October 2016 issue of EAA Sport aviation magazine : http://sportaviation.epubxp.com/i/726414-oct-2016/103?

Edited by Randyott
  • Like 2

Last year on our Bahamas trip I got stuck in Fort Pierce florida for several days due to weather while all my IFR buddies took off and flew home.

So that is the reason for the G5 and the IFD-440 ! Its time to get my instrument training out of the way !

Randy

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Kind of late, but my plan. I have a GTN-650, so Garmin has me in their clutches.

image.png.74c2cddad2930226bf3782a9749198d2.png

• Hoping I can eliminate the T&B as well, as DG, both which are broken as of today.
  • The plan is to upgrade from the horrible 2" T&B, if one is needed with two G5s?
  • Need the GTX-345 for 2020.

image.png.0654aaa7f007062c5cffba115e69e8ee.png

32 minutes ago, Stefanovm said:

Kind of late, but my plan. I have a GTN-650, so Garmin has me in their clutches.

• Hoping I can eliminate the T&B as well, as DG, both which are broken as of today.
  • The plan is to upgrade from the horrible 2" T&B, if one is needed with two G5s?

Man, that panel needs to be taken out and shot... but anyway, consider a backup(not-G5) attitude indicator in place of upgrading to a larger T&B/TC(per AC 91-65).

• Like 1

The G5 attitude indicator cannot be both an AI and a T&B, so if you use the G5 as an AI you have to have a separate T&B.

People who have to keep another AI for whatever reason (e.g., to drive the AP), can call that the primary AI and then use the G5 as the T&B and delete the old T&B.

I have a D10A and a G5 HSI in my 182. The D10A has a slightly bigger screen and a LOT more data due to the OAT probe (density altitude, true Airspeed, wind direction and speed). The G5 has a nicer screen and is MUCH easier to install. 

8 hours ago, Stefanovm said:

image.png.74c2cddad2930226bf3782a9749198d2.png

I got so dizzy and disoriented looking at your panel I fell off the couch.

Check in with Lasar... they may have stock six pack panels available at a low cost...

The big expense is putting new instruments in... and you have that coming with the pair of G5s...

For other Mooney panel ideas... we have an MSer that cut some pretty nice panels and has a website...

PP thinking out loud, not an instrument tech....

Best regards,

-a-

On 1/18/2017 at 7:46 PM, furledd said:

I saw some folks saying they wanted to try and remove the vaccuum system by using the G5 in combination with other things.

Wouldnt that end up leaving your vaccuum operated step inop on a Mooney?

Thats is vaccuum operated best i can tell on my F model :) 

Same issue for many of us with vacuum operated speed brakes.  So when sooner or later I remove all the vacuum operated avionics, I will likely remove the primary vacuum, but keep the backup electric vacuum in the tail.  SO operating speed brakes will be a two switch process.  Turn on backup vacuum. Hit speed brake button.  Which I think is ok for a non critical device.

Aren't there electric options for the vacuum step?

Electric options for speed brakes exist but are very expensive. 

12 hours ago, Niko182 said:

do yourself a favor and just cut a new panel, with G5’s flush mounted, from scratch. it'll cost somewhere around 400 bucks, and you'll thank yourself for it.

FIFY

The panel will look professionally done and be more functional. Don’t stop so close to the finish line. 

I installed a G5 last year and it looks like this.  Went with my brand-new-to-me Garmin 480.  Now I can do close to 95% of published instrument approaches North America.  Before, I bought the 480, I figured I could only attempt about 30% of them.  Replacing my Trimble TNL 2000A with the 480 was not enough on its own.  I had to replace the DG with an HSI that accepts RNAV inputs from the 480, or get an OBS that did the same.  With the lack of panel space you see here, there was only one solution available (especially if I wanted to keep my NARCO in the nav game with its own OBS).

Love it!!!!  Love it!!!

During the MAPA PPP in Manchester, NH last year, the instructor stuck a post--it paper over my AI.  No problem.  The G5 became my AI about 10 seconds later.  Aviate - navigate - communicate.  So he took the post-it note off.  Mind you, my performance on instrument approaches was awful during those two days, but practice with the new setup is allowing for more precision.

1740141046_PanelasofOct2018.thumb.jpg.9a7352718687f81409539e07c7465123.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 8:56 AM, Stefanovm said:

You really need to cut yourself one of these:

You are looking at the back of it (it is LHS) and not that expensive - $100 or so form BigBlueSaw or your favorite local water jet place.

IMG_4706.jpg

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, bradp said:

Just as important as the fancy glass things is the layout.  Ditch the shotgun and put the panel into an organized six pack 

Yes. Even staying with the steam gauges, an organized six pack will really freshen up the whole interior.

This is also something that can be done largely by an owner. The panel isn't structural and can easily be done as an owner produced part.

1. Join EAA - download free copy of SolidWorks CAD software
  2. Design your new panel
  3. Take file to metal shop for cutting (aluminum cut with water jet)
  4. Paint
  5. Take panel blank to trophy shop for laser engraving of labels
  6. Disconnect instruments from old panel
  7. Insert new panel, reconnect instruments.
  8. Get A&P sign off

There are lots of pictures of my panel around here. And this is how it was done.

3 hours ago, MIm20c said:

@gsxrpilot Is water jet the best way?  Does it work for bevel cuts? The panel from Mooney is pretty thick and I know some methods (laser etc) do not work well. 

It's how I did mine. After coming off the water jet table, we cleaned up the edges with a file and some sanding. Then paint and laser engraving for the labels.