Who's Installing a G5?

3914N

6 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I'm done with the waiting game for this crap. I saw how long it took for the 345 to get approved for the Aspen. Even if it gets the supplemental STC, do you think they will keep the price the same? L3 has a solution, it's approved. Done.

As for your former shop's quality, yes indeed. I spend good money cleaning up a lot of the trash they left. Including a sagging avionics rack over the co-pilot's yoke. I really like the new shop and a few guys on this site have used him. Not only knowledgeable, but also someone who clearly knows how to do wiring.

Are you talking about the other Chris' new shop? I got a chance to check out the L3 at Oshkosh 2015, the display/graphics are amazing!

20 minutes ago, M016576 said:

Oh no... what did I do this time!

The announcement of the KI300 has been the cause of many to drink the vaporware Kool aid here, and even one particular evangelist to quote the high reliability of this non existent product. Once I heard RC Allen had a "hand" in its' development and production, my hopes of it being viable were greatly diminished.

see

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?&q="ki 300"

While in theory, the KI300 would be nice, what would be even nicer is an option for the ESI 500 to drive the antiquated analog KI autopilots. Those "fine swiss watch" KI 25X AI's are making Bob Bramble have a very nice Christmas once again, and will continue to do so (currently at about $2500/ rebuild and align every 500 or so hours). Nothing against Bob, he does a great job on filling this demand.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mike_elliott said:

The announcement of the KI300 has been the cause of many to drink the vaporware Kool aid here, and even one particular evangelist to quote the high reliability of this non existent product. Once I heard RC Allen had a "hand" in its' development and production, my hopes of it being viable were greatly diminished.

see

While in theory, the KI300 would be nice, what would be even nicer is an option for the ESI 500 to drive the antiquated analog KI autopilots. Those "fine swiss watch" KI 25X AI's are making Bob Bramble have a very nice Christmas once again, and will continue to do so (currently at about $2500/ rebuild and align every 500 or so hours). Nothing against Bob, he does a great job on filling this demand.

When I saw the Garmin G5- I had a similar hope (drive the ki-256).  The cost of the converter from Aspen is just a little over the top IMO.... as is their SV upgrade cost (really... $3k for SVT?  $3K for the EA100?  These things must be made with solid platinum components.... even then they are marked up.). 

Oh well... I guess I can keep dreaming.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

see

I reached out to BK via email regarding the KI-300, as I saw that their website no longer lists it as a product. But Sarasota Avionics & Maintenance estimates it to be available in Q1 of 2017, although that has changed numerous times. BK didn't specifically say that it was killed off but they couldn't tell me when it will be available either, so I'll hold out hope.

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

my apologies for not being up to date on this thread. this is our busiest time of year and I'm not able to keep up with a lot of questions but I've been asked to weigh in here and will do my best to monitor this going forward.

but to address the most basic question at this point, no the G5 is not approved as a backup instrument to any EFIS system including the Garmin G500/600 or Aspen systems. it is only approved as a primary replacement for an ADI or turn coordinator. There are no current plans to approve the G5 for this.

please let me know if there are any other questions,

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, TrekLawler said:

but to address the most basic question at this point, no the G5 is not approved as a backup instrument to any EFIS system including the Garmin G500/600 or Aspen systems. it is only approved as a primary replacement for an ADI or turn coordinator. There are no current plans to approve the G5 for this.

please let me know if there are any other questions,

Thanks for the feedback. Can you speak to the idea of installing a G5 as the primary AI with an Aspen installed as a backup AI? 

Thanks for the feedback. Can you speak to the idea of installing a G5 as the primary AI with an Aspen installed as a backup AI? 

I think you'll find the same holds true for the Aspen in reverse. They are certified as primary only, not as a backup. As I said earlier, this stuff drives me nuts. You would think having both that can act as a primary would be okay.

It may be nothing more than the way the units were certified.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Does a backup really need a certification?  And if so, what makes it a "certifiable" backup?  Distance from the Primary?  I mean, you can tape an iPhone to the dash- that's a backup.... and I'm pretty sure that's not certified as one.

The EFIS systems like the Aspen and the Garmin G500 have specific requirements for their "certified" backups. I posted the Aspen requirement on a other thread, I suspect the G500 has similar requirements. I'm sure it's all about how the requirements are written and approved.

5 minutes ago, M016576 said:

Does a backup really need a certification?  And if so, what makes it a "certifiable" backup?  Distance from the Primary?  I mean, you can tape an iPhone to the dash- that's a backup.... and I'm pretty sure that's not certified as one.

As someone who does not have a single legacy instrument, the thought of not having a certified backup in the panel is enough to give one goose bumps.  The one benefit of having multiple instruments like the 6 pack as backups is having multiple instruments as backups.  An iPhone or iPad as backup--NO WAY.

• Like 3

On 12/21/2016 at 5:26 AM, M016576 said:

I think I've found my solution to replace my KI-256 backup attitude indicator.  Bendix King is about to release the KI-300 standby indicator.  You dont get airspeed, altitude or heading, but it is solid state, is a drop in replacement for the KI-256 and can drive a king autopilot with less than 1 hour install cost (if the press releases are to be believed).  For me, it's either this, or buy a G5 AND an Aspen EA100 adapter- hardware alone cost would be roughly the same (~$5 AMU), but install costs would be significantly more for the G5/Aspen autopilot adapter.  This is kind of a unique dilemma for my current setup, but anyone that's driving a King autopilot might run into this problem down the road.

The KI-300 has been vaporware for sometime.  Hopefully it will release soon.  Meanwhile my KI256 is in good shape, and hopefully will stay that way until there are good options for something else.

Ideally - I would love a fully modern digital autopilot at that point - but if not available, and I doubt it will be, I would likely do a KI300 rather than overhaul the KI256 at 50% of that cost.

12 hours ago, Marauder said:

I think you'll find the same holds true for the Aspen in reverse. They are certified as primary only, not as a backup. As I said earlier, this stuff drives me nuts. You would think having both that can act as a primary would be okay.

It may be nothing more than the way the units were certified.

I remember at the shop installing an Aspen as a backup to a Avidyne EFIS system in a late model Saratoga. We put it over on the R/H side of the panel. Talk about overkill, Three Avidyne glass displays with an Aspen...

12 hours ago, donkaye said:

As someone who does not have a single legacy instrument, the thought of not having a certified backup in the panel is enough to give one goose bumps.  The one benefit of having multiple instruments like the 6 pack as backups is having multiple instruments as backups.  An iPhone or iPad as backup--NO WAY.

But I think you understand what I'm saying:

someone of your skill set could, in an emergency situation, get themselves to a safe and logical position using a "non-certified" backup system- should the worst happen (you lose all 35 of your "certified" backups).  I am in no way, shape or form advocating for such behavior as a going in game plan... I have a certified backup ADI as well... however..., if a system is certified for primary flight- I fail to understand how it could not be a certifiable "backup."  And that was the aim of my post.

My 11pm sarcasm in the previous post above didn't come through in the black and white- I apologize.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2016 at 8:05 PM, bradp said:

Is the G5 configurable in both knots and MPH?

Also - I'm assuming the ASI and VSI / Alt are advisory only, so no removing the VSI to make more panel room as part of the STC, I suppose.

Thanks!

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brad,

i apologize for not getting back to you on this sooner but I haven't been flying my plane much so by the time I got to my hangar I forgot to check about the MPH but while looking in the installation manual for something else I did find the answer... YES you can configure it for MPH. I hope these screenshots of the install manual help.

Steve

IMG_0364.PNG

IMG_0363.PNG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I saw some folks saying they wanted to try and remove the vaccuum system by using the G5 in combination with other things.

Wouldnt that end up leaving your vaccuum operated step inop on a Mooney?

Thats is vaccuum operated best i can tell on my F model :) 

I saw some folks saying they wanted to try and remove the vaccuum system by using the G5 in combination with other things.
Wouldnt that end up leaving your vaccuum operated step inop on a Mooney?
Thats is vaccuum operated best i can tell on my F model  

Absolutely, that eliminates your ability to remove the vacuum pump unless you are motivated to replace your step with a fixed one. With a fairing too it has negligible impact on airspeed. Not that many of us also have that issue. But my 252 has vacuum speed brakes so I have retained the engine driven pump after going to a fully glass panel. I was able to remove the standby electric vacuum pump in the tail which actually gave a sizable increase in useful load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is My G5 install I got for Christmas!  I have it wired to the Garmin SL-30 on HSI.

The Avidyne is connected to the Dynon D100 via ARINC for primary HSI and autopilot.

this is  Velocity RG installation...  there has been a lot of expertise on this forum that have really helped !

panel image.jpg

6 minutes ago, Randyott said:

This is My G5 install I got for Christmas!  I have it wired to the Garmin SL-30 on HSI.

The Avidyne is connected to the Dynon D100 via ARINC for primary HSI and autopilot.

this is  Velocity RG installation...  there has been a lot of expertise on this forum that have really helped !

panel image.jpg

How do you like the G5 compaired to the Dynon?

I installed the D100 in a Pitts and the owner loved it. As a primary ADI in my Mooney I want to be sure!!!! I'm thinking D10 or G5. Leaning towards the G5 due to its coolness, but NOTAR's recent issues makes me think the old Dynon will be fine.

What happens in the Dynon when roll limitations were exceeded, the screen turns gray. What happens in the G5 when roll limitations are exceeded??

Cool Velocity panel. 

-Matt

59 minutes ago, Randyott said:

I have not gotten to fly it yet!!!  I am sill wiring !  The G5, the IFD440 and the King KT74 are all new.  So as soon as I get it all buttoned up and up in the air I will let you know!

Randy

I don't think the IFD440 is an approved WAAS position source for the KT74, but maybe you have another solution for ADS-B out.