Who's Installing a G5?

3914N

Heard about this new instrument from Garmin- https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/in-the-air/experimental/flight-displays/g5-electronic-flight-instrument-for-certificated-aircraft/prod570665.html

Looks like an incredible way to get certified AHRS + extra airspeed/altitude indication for (relatively) low $$.  My avionics guy says the installation is very easy.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, 3914N said:

Heard about this new instrument from Garmin- https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/in-the-air/experimental/flight-displays/g5-electronic-flight-instrument-for-certificated-aircraft/prod570665.html

Looks like an incredible way to get certified AHRS + extra airspeed/altitude indication for (relatively) low $$.  My avionics guy says the installation is very easy.

Currently there are 4 products out there that are similar, only 3 of which could be installed on a Mooney at present:

1. L3 ESI 500  $5,289 for basis unit

2. Garmin G5 $2,149

3. Sandia Quatro $3,595

4. Dynon D10A N/A Not approved for Mooney

The only "real" backup for everything is the L3 unit so I consider it top of the line, and the price reflects it.  The Garmin unit would come next on my list.  It has V/S that the Sandia and Dynon do not have.   The lower 3 units don't have heading, nav or SVT options, and can be used as Primary for AI only.

In the final analysis, if you ever think you are going to upgrade to glass and not have legacy instruments remain, the only option at present is the L3 ESI 500.  None of them have an AP interface.  Somewhere I read that the L3 has 429 outputs that when integrated with a D/A converter could be used to run an AP.  In looking at the instalI manual I see pitch and roll output labels so that may be a future option.  I can see problems with that if, for example, you lost total electrical power.  The ESI 500 would continue to operate on backup battery, but the AP would be inop.  So I'm not sure an AP interface would be useful.

So in the final analysis, the price point of the G5 is good, but the utility of the ESI 500 far surpasses it---but for a price.

• Like 1

Fun stuff to review...  DonK's list, above...(or close)

https://www.l-3avionics.com/products/trilogy/

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/in-the-air/experimental/flight-displays/g5-electronic-flight-instrument/prod514383.html

http://sandia.aero/product/sai-340-quattro/

http://dynonavionics.com/docs/D10A_intro.html

i was reviewing the list.  Thought I would share what I was seeing... Made it easier for others to get a quick look see...

Best regards,

-a-

22 hours ago, 3914N said:

Ordered mine the day the STC was announced at Oshkosh.  Should be going in sometime in the next month or so depending on how long it takes Garmin's production to ramp up

• Like 1

To upgrade from the G5 to the G500 just add two zeros on to the G5 model's price and there ya go.  

The only way I can see removing the vacuum system would be an Aspen / G500 setup to drive an autopilot. 

Now ... If these trutrack APs find their way into Moonies, there could be many fewer vacuum pumps.    

Dont think this is the right thread to go into the pluses and minuses of all electric w/battery backup vs vacuum mechanical gyro debate. 

B

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 11:42 AM, carqwik said:

I wonder how much they'll want later to unlock or add the software code to drive the King A/P?  They could really put B/K out of their misery on the (still fantasy) KI-300...

That would Probably be as futuristic as the KI-300 is. They would need the circuitry of  a digital to analog converter.

Look for L3 to possibly do something here with their ES500, a much more suited unit.

Well... I learned today that the G5 wont fit in my 85 M20J.   It has a King KAP-150 with King HSI and King Attitude indicator.  Plan was to put the G5 where the Attitude indicator is and move it to replace my turn and bank.

The Attitude indicator is very deep ( 6"+) and not even close to fitting in the T & B hole.  In addition the bezel overhang would also prevent it being mounted there even if the depth would allow.

Have a loaded panel so no other location is available  :wacko:

2 hours ago, BobAustin said:

Well... I learned today that the G5 wont fit in my 85 M20J.   It has a King KAP-150 with King HSI and King Attitude indicator.  Plan was to put the G5 where the Attitude indicator is and move it to replace my turn and bank.

The Attitude indicator is very deep ( 6"+) and not even close to fitting in the T & B hole.  In addition the bezel overhang would also prevent it being mounted there even if the depth would allow.

Replace the Turn and Bank with the G5.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobAustin said:

Lance,

Dont know if the T & B hole has enough depth for the G5.  Also the bezel for the G5 may overlap.   It will take some research.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Bob

By these pictures, depth shouldn't be any factor at all, neither should overlap. These are designed to replace the T & B, so even with the battery on the back, depth shouldn't be any problem.

Garmin g5 angle.jpg

garmin g5 back view.jpgGarmin g5 side view.jpg

But you show the Experimental G5 which has the battery as an option.  Look at the Certified one with battery standard it is quite deep.  Now if u can find someone to install the Experimental one......

Something to consider....use caution with yoke mounted bits, while on the ground.

With the LB, the tail hangs with gravity, the yoke will be up against the IP.  Anything attached to the yoke will be in contact with the face of the instruments.

My Garmin mount would bang into knobs above the yoke if I wasn't paying attention. An occurrence during flight control continuity checks. Aka boxing out the controls or bashing the instruments if not careful.

Cracking a new glass panel would be an unhappy moment.

Best regards,

-a-

10 hours ago, BobAustin said:

I have this same concern about bezel overlap.

image.jpeg

8 hours ago, BobAustin said:

But you show the Experimental G5 which has the battery as an option.  Look at the Certified one with battery standard it is quite deep.  Now if u can find someone to install the Experimental one......

The depth of the unit with the battery is 3" according to the specs on Garmin's page.

garmin g5 with battery 2.jpggrmin g5 with battery.jpg

The depth of a Mid-Continent Turn Coordinator is well over 4".

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pdf/10-22514.pdf

19 hours ago, BobAustin said:

I believe the issue here is that the AI (KI-256 ??) is over 7 in deep,  while a TC (like a standard Mid Continent is around 4.5in deep). I believe there is still some room behind the TC but I am not sure if it enough to accommodate the extra 3 in + connectors + hoses

Also , the HSI occupies more panel real estate and the G3 faceplate may interfere with the HSI faceplate

I don't think the G3 depth is an issue , with or without the battery   

Your post got me reading up on this. Certification is the key and they have certificated (is that a word) it but in a limited way for our old aircraft. What I want most is is slaved DG (with magneic sensor like flux gate) and HSI capability which the G5 has on the experiemental but apparently not yet on certificated.

Its driving me nuts because I can see exactly what I want and its clear they can make it, but not for me yet. I like the L3 EHIS 3000 and 4000 but can't find the price. I think that means "If you have to ask you can't afford it."

I started thinking about this when I read about the Sandel 3308 and King 55 compass/HSI systems. I'd have to drop 6K for either of those and maybe more. The upgraded Sandel 3500 leaps to over $10K.

I can't get out of my head what you can apparently do with a Garmin G5 if you're experiemental. This is bugging me.

"Its driving me nuts because I can see exactly what I want and its clear they can make it, but not for me yet. I like the L3 EHIS 3000 and 4000 but can't find the price. I think that means "If you have to ask you can't afford it."

You're right about that.  These are for jet aircraft.  The best you are going to do right now is the L3 ESI 500 and that starts around $5,300.  That's what I have and I love it.

http://sarasotaavionics.com/avionics/esi500

• Like 1