Oxygen Mask/Mic + Powered Bose Port

Anyone know if this adapter is required in order to use Bose headset using ship power with an oxygen mask+mic?  Or can I just plug the oxygen mask's mic into the standard mic jack while the headset is on the lemo jack?  In other words, which mic takes priority when a mic is plugged into both jacks?

http://www.pilot-usa.com/adapters/bose-adapters/pa-100b.html

• Like 1

Did a quick test on this on a flight yesterday in my J.  Second headset on the standard mic jack, Bose headset in the lemo.  ATC could not hear me through the mic on the second headset.  Assuming the TN will be wired the same way...so it looks like I'll need the overpriced adapter.  Anyways, thanks for the help.

Edited by aggiepilot04

You could install a microphone jack on the panel and wire it in parallel with the Lemo jack.  A 3/16" 3 conductor jack is inexpensive.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/phj-10/switchcraft-jack-for-3/16-phone-plug/1.html

Add a SPDT toggle switch to select either the Bose headset's mic OR the mask's mic.  

Not sure how the installer did it, but on mine, plugging in a mic. to the dedicated socket cuts out the Lemo connected mic. - that works perfectly for me, as plugging a mask in then takes over from the headset, and taking off the mask and unplugging it returns it to the headset

I do wish Mooney put the oxygen sockets in the same area as the headsets though - when everything plugged in I have to things to tangle and restrict my head movement

Edited by Awful_Charlie

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2016 at 10:48 AM, aggiepilot04 said:

Anyone know if this adapter is required in order to use Bose headset using ship power with an oxygen mask+mic?  Or can I just plug the oxygen mask's mic into the standard mic jack while the headset is on the lemo jack?  In other words, which mic takes priority when a mic is plugged into both jacks?

http://www.pilot-usa.com/adapters/bose-adapters/pa-100b.html

Yes.

I use this adapter as it allows me easily to switch back and forth from my O2 mask mike to my Bose headset mike without losing audio and keeping my headset powered through the adapter and works flawlessly, and only $100.  Haven't tried plugging a GA and a lemo plug into the same jack, as i can't imagine this would give a desirable result without rewiring a cutoff like Jerry and Charlie mentioned.

• 1 month later...

As it turns out, this adapter is not required in my Acclaim.  While using both the standard mic port and the Bose lemo port, the standard mic port wins.  I tried this in my J model though (which is still for sale with a recently lowered price, by the way), and that was not the case...so it appears to vary by model/year.

• Like 1