Private pilot to ATP in 45 days

N201MKTurbo

So, about two years ago my flying buddy, Rene, calls and says “We need to go take our ATP written test”. I ask “Why?” and he says if we take it before august first 2014 we have two years to get our ATPs by the current rules, otherwise it will be almost impossible. I said to him that I don’t even have a commercial license and he said that it doesn’t matter you can take the test anyway, you just need your commercial before you take the practical test.

So I studied real hard for about a week and then went to book the test. Well it turns out that there were a lot of people doing the same thing and all the test centers were booked up. I called every test center in the valley and finally found a slot at a place at KSDL on July 28. I took time off work and took the test. I got the worst score I’ve ever got on a FAA test, but it was good enough (78%).

Well, we talked about taking training, I thought about getting my commercial and trying to get it done, but I pretty much blew it off. I had made peace with not getting it and I didn’t think much about it. I was slammed at work after all.

Well, fast forward to June 15 of 2016, Rene calls me on the phone and proudly says “I found a place that will do the training for a reasonable price and get me a check ride, I’m going to get my Multi ATP!” “You totally screwed me you SOB” I said. Now I have to get mine too. The catch is that I needed to get THREE licenses not just one! I called the flight school and talked to them about my situation, they said that they would see what could be done, but that they were totally booked till the end of July with ATP training. I said that I would be willing to fly any time the plane was available to get it done. So, they called the examiner and he said that he would be willing to give me the Multi commercial and Multi ATP one after the other, if I got my single commercial first. Rene already had his multi-commercial as well as his multi instrument flight instructor rating.

To get my Commercial License I needed to take the written test – again. I had taken it three times in the past but never took the practical test. I scheduled the written on 6-20-16. I studied like a fiend and went to take the test. When I got to the test center, we filled out all the paperwork and I was about to start the test, when I said this would be the fourth time I took the written. The proctor dropped everything and asked “have you failed the test before?” I said “no, I passed them all”. She said I needed the test results from the last test I took or a letter from Oak City. THIS WAS NOT IN MY SCHEDULE! I called the test lady at FAA headquarters and only got her voice mail. I was a little upset because this is not in the regs anywhere. It is just an FAA policy. I was steaming mad because I couldn’t take the test. The test center said they would fit me in the next day if I could get the letter or my previous results. I went home and looked in my files and actually found my old test reports, one from ’87, ’93 and ’05. I finally got to take written. I finished it in less than an hour, the proctor looked at me as if to say “was it was too hard?”, I said “I’m done”, she looked surprised and graded it, I got a good score (96%). After all this was the fourth time, I should know it by now.

So now the flight training begins. I thought this would be easy, I’m a good pilot after all and have over 5000 hours! Well it turns out that I sucked! My lazy eights and chandelles were terrible, I couldn’t hold a heading in a stall, slow flight was passible, landings and takeoffs were OK and I always nailed the 180 power off landing. I flew three training sessions with Rene, he said he would sign me off for the check ride, but that I should practice some more.

I tried to schedule a check ride and found out that all the examiners were slammed with ATP rides and nobody in Arizona would do it until August! This wouldn’t work at all, I needed another plan. Someone said that there were excess examiners in the northwest. I had a work trip already booked to debug a software change on a tool at Intel in Hillsboro, OR., so I called up the flight school there and asked if they could recommend an examiner that could give me a check ride on a moment’s notice, these wonderful people helped out a total stranger and an examiner called back ten minutes later. He said we could do it any day next week, so I scheduled it for Wednesday evening 6-29-16 at 6:00 PM. I canceled my airline flight and flew the Mooney up to Oregon. Before I left I flew 3 hours on Saturday with another professional instructor who teaches commercial students every day. He helped a lot getting my head straightened out on my commercial maneuvers. I also flew by myself on Monday and Tuesday evenings up in Oregon practicing lazy eights and chandelles.

I was super nervous about this check ride. It had been 20 years sense my last one which was for my multi-engine, instrument rating. Wednesday came around and as soon as I could get away from Intel I headed to the airport for the check ride. I had spent the entire night before, in my room, writing a flight plan with W/B, performance numbers and trip log with all legs calculated to the nth degree. Of course Forflight would have done it all automatically and it turns out the examiner would have been OK with that. I spent four hours planning for a two hour trip. After some tense moments where he didn’t like the endorsements I had, I had to have Rene create some new ones, sign and scan them to PDFs so we could print them in Oregon. The examiner said that he had given 55 check rides in the last 90 days. He said I was the weirdest check ride he had ever done. He has never given a check ride in someone’s own plane, he has never given a check ride to someone with over 5000 hours or 59 years old! The check ride started at 8:00 PM and finished in the dark. We started flying the cross country and after about 5 min. of flying he claims that an Airplane had crashed at Bellingham, WA, our first destination, closing the runway and the passengers wanted to land at Troutdale. I turned to a heading of 090 which kept us out of the Portland class C airspace and went looking for all the frequencies and numbers  for the airport. He gave me a bunch of grief about not turning direct to Troutdale, I said when I have everything squared away with Troutdale I will think about PDX approach. He didn’t like that, but I’m PIC and that’s the way I did it. After I got the ATIS I contacted PDX approach and went direct to Troutdale. As soon as I was direct Troutdale he said to tell them we were departing the class C to the north. I think the task was for me to go direct and he just wanted to get the task over with.  This examiner flies in this area every day and so do the students he deals with. He expects them to know the frequencies and airspace like the back of their hands. I was totally unfamiliar with the area.

We then climbed to 4500 feet and did stalls, slow flight and steep turns. Those went fine, then it is time for commercial maneuvers. My heart rate was going up! I asked what he wanted to see, he said I had to do either Chandelles or lazy eights and I could choose. I did one chandelle to the left, he said it was fine and to show him a 1080 spiral. All those days of practicing commercial maneuvers and it was all over in 30 seconds. I told him the altitude we would end up at and down we went, lost 3500 feet just like in practice. He asked for eights on pylons, I asked what the local elevation was, he looked annoyed and told me, I said I could look it up but it would take another 30 seconds, so he was OK. I told him the speed and altitudes I would use and why, I picked a tower and a barn, flew the 45 between them started the first turn and he said “OK head back to the airport”. It took about 10 minutes to get back to the airport. He told me that most people fail the 180 power off landing. I always get these and I told him that during the oral. After I entered the downwind he said “pick your point and shut’er down”. I picked the center of the intersecting runway, when I passed it I pulled it back to idle. After a few seconds he asked “you going to leave the wheels down?” I said “Yes”, he looked concerned. I turned from downwind to final and about ½ mile from my touchdown It looked like I would come up short so I put the wheels up and left my hand on the switch so I wouldn’t forget. At about 300 feet from my touchdown point and about 100 ft AGL I put the gear and flaps all the way down. I entered ground effects about 150 feet from the touchdown point and I just held the flare steady. About 50 feet from the touchdown point it started to settle. The mains touched on the center of the center line. The examiner let out a giant “Woo Hoo”! We did a short field takeoff and a short field landing then a soft field takeoff and a normal landing.

So now I’m a commercial pilot.

After I got back I contacted the flight school about the multi-commercial and the multi-ATP. They said I should attend the ground school with Rene on Monday the 11th, so I took the day off work and learned more than I ever wanted to know about the Seneca II and the check rides. All the good planes and good times were taken so I started training on the 13th at 6:00 PM. The first time out we did some stalls and failed and feathered the right engine. We did a VMC demo and then went to re-start the engine. It wouldn’t start…. We tried everything even the checklist! It just wouldn’t catch or un-feather (the Seneca doesn’t have un-feathering accumulators). We were about 30 miles from the airport and 1500 AGL. I told the instructor that we weren’t going to go down any more to try a re-start. The plane was holding its own and I said that we should just fly it back and land it single engine. The problem is that you have to take the prop off to get it un-feathered if you land it feathered. The instructor was freaking out. He called the plane owner on his cell phone and he said to prime the heck out of it and try again. Being the PIC I said OK but no decent. He played with the levers and I held the starter. Thirty seconds later it finally caught. We flew back and I did my first landing in the Seneca. It was OK, but that plane lands like a Steinway. Unlike the Mooney when you pull the power off, it pretty much goes straight down! Well we flew 5 more times  before check ride day. It had been a few years sense I had flown a twin and 20 years sense any multi training, so to say I was rusty was an understatement! I would get too excited during engine failures and go for the wrong levers. I would run out of power in some maneuvers and get too low and too slow. It seemed like the more I flew the worse I got. I was so stressed out by this whole process I thought I was going to explode! Well, check ride day was coming up and I had flown a complete practice check ride for the commercial multi and the ATP without error.

We couldn’t get a plane until 10:00 AM on check ride day and it was supposed to get to 115, we finally started the commercial ride at about 10:30, it was only about 107 at that time and bumpy. We did a bunch of maneuvers, when it came time for the steep turns I did one of the worst I’ve ever done. After it was done he looks at me and asks “Was that to commercial standards?” I said “barely” he said “just barely” Next we did an engine failure and a VMC demo, during the demo I let go of the throttle and grabbed the trim. He went a little ballistic and said letting go of the throttle is a capital offense and the ride was over… We actually did a single engine approach and landing on the way back and checked those off. I was resigned to failure at that point and wasn’t nervous about anything so I flew them perfectly. Well I got a pink slip, this didn’t help my stress level. I went up with my instructor that afternoon in the 115 heat and did remedial training and re-scheduled the check ride for the next day at 9:00. The next morning we took off at 9:00 flew just far enough north to clear the class B, climbed up to 4500 feet, I did a perfect steep turn (+- 5 feet and 2 kts) a perfect VMC demo and a perfect performance landing.

Now I’m a multi commercial pilot.

After doing all the paperwork for the commercial multi, paperwork for the ATP and the oral for the ATP it was 1:30 and 115 degrees outside. I hadn’t thought about lunch so I found a stale doughnut in the line shack and the examiner shared his PB&J with me.  I bought a new IPAD clip board that the commercial examiner in Oregon recommended. I had all the plates needed for the ride set up in Forflight, the flight plan for the check ride and the weight and balance for the plane. I had the weather briefing, NOTAMS and TFRs all taken care of. I had all the procedures printed out but there was no place to put them on the clip board, no good place to put them anywhere in the plane so I folded them up and shoved them into the side pocket by my left knee.

We departed and on the takeoff roll the examiner started messing with the rudders, I immediately shut down the plane and stopped. We started the takeoff again and as soon as we were airborne I put the foggles on,  at about 300 feet he pulled the throttle on one engine and I had to do the engine out drill and get it climbing again (barely). He asked what I was going to do, I said that it seemed to be stable so I would fly it back to the airport and land it. What he wanted me to say was that I would climb straight ahead until getting to 1000 feet  and then return to the airport. That is what I intended to do but I didn’t say the climb part. The engine miraculously came back to life and we continued on the IFR flight plan. As soon as I started the turn to the first waypoint of the departure procedure he amended my clearance to turn right to 120 degrees and intercept the TFD 330 degree radial inbound to 15 DME and then arc west to the 300 degree radial and proceed to TFD the rest of the route unchanged. It was about here that my IPAD went into overheat and shut down. It never came back on! This raised the stress level a few notches. The DME arc went fine, I was a little late turning in on the 300 degree radial, I overshoot by two dots, but good enough. After passing TFD the examiner said the Tucson radar had just failed. My instructor warned me about this, so I had set up the flight plan in the 530 to show ETAs for the waypoints, All I had to do was go to the flight plan page and read off the waypoints and ETAs for the position report. The examiner smiled. He then said that a plane had crashed at Tucson and the airport was closed. I requested to change my destination to Casa Grande with the ILS 5 approach. He said I was cleared to Casa Grande, direct TFD and then the ILS 5 approach. I’m new to the 530, I have never flown one before the training started and I was getting a little twisted up in the heat of the moment. The examiner was getting concerned, so I gave up on the Garmin and just spun the VOR to get back to TFD. He has happy now. When we were about 5 miles from the VOR he vectored me north to get us out of the hornets’ nest of training aircraft over Stanfield, a few minutes later the left engine failed and I shut it down and feathered. We then did some turns and finished with a VMC demo. That went well and I re-started the engine. Luckily, this time it started back up without issue. He vectored me for the ILS and I finally beat the Garmin into submission and had the ILS dialed up. I also had it on the KX165. My IPAD was still down and I was too busy to grab the paper charts and unfold them, sort through them and find the right one, besides I’ve flown this approach enough times I thought I had it memorized. In the approach briefing I said the DH was 1640 and the course was 048. The examiner said nothing. The approach went poorly, I was chasing the needles three dots either side, when I got down to the DH I actually had them both in the middle. He didn’t say I had viability, so I initiated a missed approach at about 1680 feet. As soon as I added power he failed the left engine. I did the whole drill, but grabbed the wrong prop to feather. After I had the plane back under control, He said that there was nothing about that approach that that was to ATP standards. He said an ATP doesn’t chase needles and then he asked what the DH was. I pulled the paper charts out and found the ILS plate and it was 1743 not 1640. I had busted DH by 60 feet. He asked what the standard is and I said +100 – 0. He said I have to disqualify you. He then asked If I wanted to continue the test and do some more approaches, I said no, I’m hot, tired and hungry let’s just go back to the airport (it was 95 degrees at 6000 ft). He said that sounds like a good plan. I took off the Foggles and flew home. When we got back to the airport he said “put the wheels on the captains bars and I’ll count this as your performance landing. I sat it down nice and easy right in the middle.

So, after getting my second pink slip in two days, I was ready to throw in the towel. I have no use for an ATP anyway and it will cost me over a thousand dollars to do this again. I asked him what my options were and he said If I wanted to re do the test on Sunday morning, he would make it happen. All he had scheduled for Sunday was contingency rides for other applicants who might pink slip. He said he would push them to later in the day to get me in at 6:00 AM. I called the flight school and the plane was available between 6:00 and 9:00 AM on both Saturday and Sunday. I said not to book anything I would talk to my wife about it and let them know. I called the wife on the way home and told her I failed the test. I said that I’m sure I can pass it but I’ve already spent a ton of money and it will cost a bunch more to finish it and that I can live without it. She said “you have come this far go ahead and finish it, you will feel terrible if you don’t get it done”, you got to love her. I called my instructor at the flight school and asked him to schedule the plane for remedial training on Saturday and the check ride on Sunday and to call the examiner and let him know we are on.

In retrospect my biggest failing on the ATP ride was cockpit organization. I have everything figured out in my Mooney, but in the Seneca not so much. I talked to Rene about it to get his thoughts and he said that he just used a generic clip board. He said it was big enough to hold the plates and set the IPAD on and the big old clip on the top was easy to actuate in a hurry and easy to clip a pen on. I went to Staples and bought a $3 clip board. I printed out a new set of plates, arrival and departure procedures and made up some 8 1/2 x 11 sheets with all the frequencies I could ever use on this ride along with the holding headings and DH/MDA on the approaches. This info used up about 3 inches on the top of the sheet and I used the rest for copying clearances and such. This worked out extremely well I had everything available within a second or two right at my fingertips.

So, Saturday morning comes around and I get up at 4:00, take a shower and get some breakfast. My phone beeps at 4:45, it is a text from my instructor, He has the flu and can’t fly, He says that he will try to find another instructor but he doesn’t think any are available. Crap!, this sucks! Sunday is the last day ever that I can get this done so I have to do the training today. I text Rene to see if he can come over and do it. He is a current Multi-engine instructor and as of a week ago an ATP. He texted right back and said that he was in his truck driving to Tucson to fly with a guy down there, but he would change his plans and head to Glendale. Thank goodness! I texted my sick instructor and asked him how to get the plane. He sent back the gate code for the airport and the lockbox code for the hangar. Rene and I both arrived at about 5:45 (no traffic on Saturday) drug the plane out of the hangar and off we went. We flew the entire approach segment of the PTS doing all the approaches with both engines running and single engine. We did single engine circle to land and single engine missed approaches. Other than a few minor things my flying was very good. By the end of the session I felt very good about passing. We flew 2 ½ hours.

So Sunday morning comes around and I arrive at the airport at 5 AM, nobody is around and the FBO is locked and the lights are out. I thought arrangements were made to meet at 5:00 to get all the paperwork done and fly at 6:00. Rene shows up at about 5:05 to make sure all his signoffs and endorsements are correct (they were) but nobody else is at the airport. I call the examiner on the phone and get his voice mail… I’m getting nervous now. I call the airplane owner who has the keys to the FBO and ask him to come over and open it up. He thought sense we had reserved the plane a 6:00 that’s when he would open the place up. I explained the situation and he said he would rush right over. At 5:30 the owner arrives and opens the FBO and we make some coffee. My phone rings and it is the examiner. He had left his phone and wallet at home and had to turn around and get them. He said he would be there in 20 Min. I’m thinking “Will it ever stop? Will anything ever go right in this ordeal?” Rene and the owner went and towed the plane over to the FBO and did the pre-flight. I was good with that and so was the examiner although I quizzed Rene on all the preflight checklist items. The examiner did the paperwork in record time and off we went into the cool, smooth and windless morning air! We got out to Stanfield and miraculously there was only one other plane out there and I flew the approaches like the ATP I was trying to be. Everything went perfect. We returned to the airport with about 1.4 on the hobbs, He said the only task left was a normal landing, he said to put it on the captains bars and I got my ticket. I put the wheels right in the middle of the captains bars and now I’m a multi engine ATP!

In retrospect trying to go from Private pilot to ATP in a little over a month is nuts and trying to get your multi-commercial and ATP on the same day is insane, especially when it is 115 degrees outside, windy and bumpy.

• Like 14

Nice work!!! I remember that rule came out while I was at Oshkosh  a few years ago. We tried to see if there was a testing center during the convention. No luck. Guess sobody else will pay for mine one day. Was that the Merrill's Seneca? I was friends with their son at GEU. :-(

Awesome job!

-Matt

12 minutes ago, MB65E said:

Nice work!!! I remember that rule came out while I was at Oshkosh  a few years ago. We tried to see if there was a testing center during the convention. No luck. Guess sobody else will pay for mine one day. Was that the Merrill's Seneca? I was friends with their son at GEU. :-(

Awesome job!

-Matt

Yes it was, I'll tell Al you said hi.

Fabulous real life story of perseverance, preparation, get it done, hit it again until it is done right enough...:)

Thanks for taking the time to share the details.

Thank the wife, the strangers, the CFIs and the examiners too.  It takes a tremendous amount of collaboration to get through an ordinary day.  These weren't close to ordinary.

Best regards,

-a-

Looking back, I wish I had taken the written when it was available. I'm still on active duty but getting out soon and my options are to either fly for a regional that will pay for it or drop a good sum of money to get it myself. Kicking myself now!

54 minutes ago, yvesg said:

Congratulation Turbo... are you thinking of changing line of work? I am 6 years younger than you and always thought it was too late for me to fly professionnaly. This was my childhood dream.

Yves

Not really, It would be a considerable cut in pay. I was thinking about possibly a retirement job flying something.

As far as age goes, I went to an airline pilot job fair in Atlanta about 5 years ago and asked the chief pilots from a few of the majors (and regionals) that question. The first thing out of all their mouths was the line that they cannot discriminate because of age. Two who gave me an answer beyond that both said that they would rather have someone my age sitting up front then a 24 year old. No one seemed concerned about looming forced retirement. 

Just now, N201MKTurbo said:

Not really, It would be a considerable cut in pay.

How is this possible?  Everyone knows that commercial pilots make more money than they're worth and even with three X-wives can't spend it all.  :rolleyes:

Forced retirement is an oddity...  Discrimination in any form is becoming less popular.

There seems to be a bi-modal distribution of people's last day...  If you make it to 60, you will probably make it to 80....

Since retirement has been extended, GenX retires at 67 instead of 65... Does a GenX pilot's last day of work get extended as well?

People are getting better at knowing their own genetics and getting tested for things that historically have been a challenge...

Long live the ordinary Mooney pilot! (And the extraordinary ones too!)

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Two who gave me an answer beyond that both said that they would rather have someone my age sitting up front then a 24 year old. No one seemed concerned about looming forced retirement. 

There are lots of pilot jobs for "older pilots" outside of the 121 world which require an ATP.

Flying for a fractional like Planesense, Flexjet, or NetJets pays reasonably well and, once hired, you can keep flying past 65 as long as you can pass your FAA physical and check-rides.  There is no age-based forced retirement and the flying can be very "interesting".

Getting an ATP was a smart move, regardless of what you want to do in aviation in the future.

Edited by Mooneymite
  • Like 3

On August 7, 2016 at 11:07 AM, N201MKTurbo said:

In retrospect trying to go from Private pilot to ATP in a little over a month is nuts and trying to get your multi-commercial and ATP on the same day is insane, especially when it is 115 degrees outside, windy and bumpy.

Congratulation!  I did it a little bit differently.  I got my first ATP in my airplane, so it was a single engine ATP.  I never thought I would ever be flying a multiengine airplane.  Well many years later a student of mine who after becoming a famous Rock Star bought a Mooney and took training with me, decided a few albums later to buy a King Air and asked me if I wanted to do the training with him? I thought, "Are you kidding? Of course."  So I found an instructor and over the next few weeks came up to speed on the Cessna 310.  My first multiengine check ride was the ATP multi.  It was a long ride since we had to do the Commercial maneuvers then everything else associated with the ATP.  It was basically an add on.  A year later the same student sold the King Air and bought a Citation Jet.  He again gave me the same option.  We both went to Flight Safety and were fire hosed for 2 weeks.  So I got my Single Pilot ATP in the CJ after a grueling 3 hour check ride.  Many more things can be done to you in a simulator than in the real airplane.  Passing the Sim test wasn't the end of it, though.  After his plane was finished being built there was another shorter check ride.  First there was a half day preflight and oral, then a simple flight doing an ILS and some landings.  Then the signoff.  What a ride that whole experience was!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, donkaye said:

Congratulation!  I did it a little bit differently.  I got my first ATP in my airplane, so it was a single engine ATP.  I never thought I would ever be flying a multiengine airplane.  Well many years later a student of mine who after becoming a famous Rock Star bought a Mooney and took training with me, decided a few albums later to buy a King Air and asked me if I wanted to do the training with him? I thought, "Are you kidding? Of course."  So I found an instructor and over the next few weeks came up to speed on the Cessna 310.  My first multiengine check ride was the ATP multi.  It was a long ride since we had to do the Commercial maneuvers then everything else associated with the ATP.  It was basically an add on.  A year later the same student sold the King Air and bought a Citation Jet.  He again gave me the same option.  We both went to Flight Safety and were fire hosed for 2 weeks.  So I got my Single Pilot ATP in the CJ after a grueling 3 hour check ride.  Many more things can be done to you in a simulator than in the real airplane.  Passing the Sim test wasn't the end of it, though.  After his plane was finished being built there was another shorter check ride.  First there was a half day preflight and oral, then a simple flight doing an ILS and some landings.  Then the signoff.  What a ride that whole experience was!

I like how your story goes - I will paraphrase what I heard - my friend became a rock star, had a bunch of records, got a jet, and I enjoyed the ride with a good friend too.

Sounds like fun!

56 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

I like how your story goes - I will paraphrase what I heard - my friend became a rock star, had a bunch of records, got a jet, and I enjoyed the ride with a good friend too.

Sounds like fun!

Almost right, but he was a Rock Star, then a friend after I helped him bring the plane back from Texas when he bought it.  Some of the most fun I've had flying was in the early days before the jet when we took the plane on tour all over the country.  Many adventures on those tours.

8 hours ago, donkaye said:

Almost right, but he was a Rock Star, then a friend after I helped him bring the plane back from Texas when he bought it.  Some of the most fun I've had flying was in the early days before the jet when we took the plane on tour all over the country.  Many adventures on those tours.

I bet.