Rope trick - valve guide reaming in Texas inquiry.

cnoe

Does anybody have first-hand experience with a Texas A&P who's experienced and efficient with the wobble test and/or valve guide reaming on a Lyc IO360.

From what I've heard this is a simple process that can be performed on all four exh valves in 2-3 hours, if done by an experienced mechanic.

I'm particular about my plane and am not interested in watching somebody else learn how to do it at my expense. I'd rather do it myself in that case.

I've got a few leads from Savvy but figured I'd throw out the question here for input.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

I had to do mine about 4 months ago. I ended buying the stuff needed to do it and getting friend AP to help.  I purchased the Valve Wizard and a special piloted reamer from McFarland the pilot was sized to fit snuggly inside an already reamed/gunked up guide and keep the reamer centered.  With the valve wizard, we found rope wasn't needed. It took about 45 minutes each for the ones that didn't need reaming and a extra hr for the one that needed reaming. I would be willing to rent the reamer and valve wizard to anyone who needs it so they don't have to buy them.

The dial indicator holder and valve extender were 3D printed using the dimensions provides on the Lycoming service bulletin.

IMG_0567.MOV

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

I was planning to buy a Valve Wizard myself but figured I'd give an area mechanic some work if they were experienced with the procedure and wouldn't spend 2 days on a 3 hour job. I'll very possibly take you up on the tool rental offer and do it myself with supervision. Is your reamer 0.5000? I can PM you to discuss further, likely tomorrow if I don't make other arrangements in the meantime. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I looked at McFarlane's site and yes those specially sized reamers look like a great idea.

I've got an IO360-A3B6D so the angle-valve wizard fits and the 0.4995"-0.5005 (0.5000) reamer is the right one.

PM sent. Thanks.

Seems like a two person job made it a lot easier.

For reamers

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INDRVSH

We used two grabbers through the spark plug holes to get the valves back in.

line it up and then move it forward

What side of Houston. You might call Brent at Aviator Plus

http://www.aviatorsplus.com/about-us.html

Thanks for the lead Yetti.

After looking at the McFarlane reamer I'm impressed with the specialized design. It uses a pilot section that is the same size as the valve stem virtually guaranteeing a straight shot down the guide with the 0.5000 section. Looks fool-proof.

I'll add aviatorsplus to a few suggestions from SAVVY that I got. I want to hear "yes, we've done this several times and have the specialized tools, it will require x amount of hours, and you're welcome to stand and watch (or help) while we do the work" from the shop. That may be asking a lot but it's the expectation I have when putting my bird in the shop.

I've seen too many people drop off a plane for something simple only to come back later to discover unapproved work and expenses.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 8/7/2016 at 11:55 AM, N601RX said:

I had to do mine about 4 months ago. I ended buying the stuff needed to do it and getting friend AP to help.  I purchased the Valve Wizard and a special piloted reamer from McFarland the pilot was sized to fit snuggly inside an already reamed/gunked up guide and keep the reamer centered.  With the valve wizard, we found rope wasn't needed. It took about 45 minutes each for the ones that didn't need reaming and a extra hr for the one that needed reaming. I would be willing to rent the reamer and valve wizard to anyone who needs it so they don't have to buy them.

The dial indicator holder and valve extender were 3D printed using the dimensions provides on the Lycoming service bulletin.

IMG_0567.MOV 23.98 MB · 24 downloads

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I am sending you a direct message 

On 8/7/2016 at 2:05 PM, cnoe said:

Thanks for the lead Yetti.

After looking at the McFarlane reamer I'm impressed with the specialized design. It uses a pilot section that is the same size as the valve stem virtually guaranteeing a straight shot down the guide with the 0.5000 section. Looks fool-proof.

I'll add aviatorsplus to a few suggestions from SAVVY that I got. I want to hear "yes, we've done this several times and have the specialized tools, it will require x amount of hours, and you're welcome to stand and watch (or help) while we do the work" from the shop. That may be asking a lot but it's the expectation I have when putting my bird in the shop.

I've seen too many people drop off a plane for something simple only to come back later to discover unapproved work and expenses.

This really is not an unusual job. Most any A&P that’s been turning wrenches a few years has done it. 

• Like 1