L3/Lynx and Foreflight working together now

After Foreflight throwing a wrench in the mix (not playing nice) they now announce it's a done deal. I'm sure L3 paid but still good news.

https://blog.foreflight.com

It is good to see this announcement. The L3 guy made some reference to "discussions" being had with FF. Glad it turned to reality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, M20Doc said:

I've tried my Lynx with Sky Radar, Wing X, Flt Plan, seem to work with almost everyone.

Clarence

It initially worked with Foreflight with a setting change and then FF changed something on purpose* to mess it up. I think they wanted $$$

*FF manager told me this at Sun n Fun.

I'm thrilled, I had sent yet another support message pestering FF just a week ago... And have done the same with L3. My guess is that some exclusivity agreement with Stratus was expiring... Plus some money to test the integration.

Woohoo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, Tony Armour said:

I'm sure L3 paid but still good news

13 hours ago, M20Doc said:

I've tried my Lynx with Sky Radar, Wing X, Flt Plan, seem to work with almost everyone.

The Lynx has also been working on FlyQ for some time now. L3 is a big enough company it would be pocket lint for them to buy Foreflight entirely. The Lynx was the only solution last year (and I believe still is) that could provide 1090 out, ADS B in both 1090 and UAT, wifi to the IPAD, display on itself, the Ipad, the Aspen and the GNS. It appear Foreflight was/is in bed with Stratus, and getting a reach around from Garmin, perhaps they didn't want the pillow talk to get too ugly, who knows. Good news is they stopped the proprietary nonsense.

Stay tuned if you would like to bid on a new Lynx NGT9000 at the Mooney Summit's silent auction. We will post details in the Mooney Summit forum!

• Like 1

And one more plug for the Lynx 9000+ with active traffic for those not aware who also already have a skywatch system.

L3 bought the skywatch system. The 9000+ includes this circuitry solid state in the panel mount box, but it also integrates the ads-b traffic, it's lighter (you can remove like 9lbs in the tail), it has higher output wattage, and gets you a new warranty - and the "plus" part costs about what you get on trade in for the box in the tail. You just reuse your antenna. It's a great deal and works very well.

4edfa27a921e7284be927ba854ed6d93.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gsengle said:

And one more plug for the Lynx 9000+ with active traffic for those not aware who also already have a skywatch system.

L3 bought the skywatch system. The 9000+ includes this circuitry solid state in the panel mount box, but it also integrates the ads-b traffic, it's lighter (you can remove like 9lbs in the tail), it has higher output wattage, and gets you a new warranty - and the "plus" part costs about what you get on trade in for the box in the tail. You just reuse your antenna. It's a great deal and works very well.

Thanks for the PIREP on the 9000+. I spent an agonizing hour between the Garmin and Aspen booths in an attempt to figure out who was lying about the integration delays of the RTX-345 on the Aspens. Both companies had an interesting twist to the situation. But that discussion will wait for Peter Garmin and I for another day.

In the interim, I sat down with the L3 folks and learned about their offerings. I discovered that the L3 systems will speak with the Aspens for weather and traffic as well as providing traffic to my GTN. Weather on the GTN is locked out according to L3 due to Garmin's decision. 

What got me thinking about the L3 9000+ was the active traffic. I think we all have been lured into believing that full TIS-B is the answer to our traffic monitoring needs. Listening to the ADS-B discussion presented by L3 made me realize that between low altitudes (below the reception range of the ADS-B antennas) and obscuration (mountains shielding the ADS-B antenna) there is a good chance you may not see traffic on the TIS-B approaching the traffic pattern of an airport. 

• Like 2

Yep my thinking too and it's a great deal if you already have the skywatch antenna.

Garmin and their closed ways... this is the reason I'll probably one day end up with an Avidyne 550

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gsengle said:

Noticed that all the traffic displayed on the L3 is displaced about 30deg clockwise than that on the 530W. This could be caused by a difference in heading input to the 530W and the L3. No big deal but which one is right?

2 hours ago, gsengle said:  

Noticed that all the traffic displayed on the L3 is displaced about 30deg clockwise than that on the 530W. This could be caused by a difference in heading input to the 530W and the L3. No big deal but which one is right?

Was a first flight glitch, loop in heading source. Subsequently fixed. Good eye.

b4e6f06c02c5aa60c7e0e63dbed88f91.jpg

• Like 1

I have the 9000D+ in my Comanche, I love it so far. It displays traffic on the 430W and the Aspen, but does not show weather on these. Weather and traffic on an IPad or Nexus tablet.  

On the trip to and from Oshkosh I saw far more active traffic targets than I saw ADSB targets.

Clarence

5 hours ago, gsengle said:

It should be able to show weather on the aspen now, and of course, Foreflight.

I think the question that needs to get answered is if you have a PFD only, will it require the unlock software? The MFD is unlocked for everything but the PFD may require an unlock. I hope not. I know my WX-500 will show up on the MFD but not on the PFD. Aspen said I need the unlock software for it to do so.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

Garmin seems to do very well trying to squeeze every last penny from our pockets.

In this case it's not Garmin, it's Aspen.  Maybe their way of saying buy something other than Garmin.

Clarence

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2016 at 1:11 PM, Marauder said:

I think we all have been lured into believing that full TIS-B is the answer to our traffic monitoring needs. Listening to the ADS-B discussion presented by L3 made me realize that between low altitudes (below the reception range of the ADS-B antennas) and obscuration (mountains shielding the ADS-B antenna) there is a good chance you may not see traffic on the TIS-B approaching the traffic pattern of an airport. 

As you know, I have a GDX 88. ADS-B traffic is displayed on an GTN 750. No Active Traffic equipment. Yesterday I did a couple of high speed taxi runs on the runway to break in new brake linings. I exited the runway as a Citation moved into position and took off. I was a little surprised to see him on the 750 as traffic throughout his take off roll and climb. The relative altitude tag seemed to have a lag - it remained at 0 until he was at least 500 AGL then increased at what I'd judge was much less than his climb rate. I don't know where ADS-B antennae are but KMRN is out in the country and ATS radar typically does not see us until we're at least 1000' AGL.  

I was impressed.

24 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

As you know, I have a GDX 88. ADS-B traffic is displayed on an GTN 750. No Active Traffic equipment. Yesterday I did a couple of high speed taxi runs on the runway to break in new brake linings. I exited the runway as a Citation moved into position and took off. I was a little surprised to see him on the 750 as traffic throughout his take off roll and climb. The relative altitude tag seemed to have a lag - it remained at 0 until he was at least 500 AGL then increased at what I'd judge was much less than his climb rate. I don't know where ADS-B antennae are but KMRN is out in the country and ATS radar typically does not see us until we're at least 1000' AGL.  

I was impressed.

Bob -- what you were probably seeing was the plane to plane portion of ADS-B. If the Citation was ADS-B out compliant, he would have been transmitting a signal you would have picked up. The GDL-88 is capable of picking up the 1090 & UAT 978 signals. If the Citation was not ADS-B out capable, you wouldn't have seen him unless you were receiving the ADS-B in signals. Unlikely from the ground. The advantage of the TAS portion of the Lynx is until everyone is transmitting ADS-B out, you will see all Mode C transmitters on the active traffic portion. Even after 2020, there will be planes both without transponders and those not in the ADS-B participation pool because they don't fly in those areas where it is required.

"There are two basic ways to get ADS-B traffic with a ADS-B receiver–air to air and ground uplink. Air to air is straightforward: all airplanes equipped with ADS-B Out (so-called “participating aircraft”) will transmit their location, and the GDL 88 will pick up these transmissions directly. Because the GDL 88 is dual band (1090 and 978), it will receive all ADS-B Out transmissions from nearby aircraft. No ground stations ever come into play here."

Just now, Marauder said:

Bob -- what you were probably was seeing was the plane to plane portion of ADS-B. If the Citation was ADS-B out compliant, he would have been transmitting a signal you would have picked up. The GDL-88 is capable of picking up the 1090 & UAT 978 signals. If the Citation was not ADS-B out capable, you wouldn't have seen him unless you were receiving the ADS-B in signals. Unlikely from the ground.

"There are two basic ways to get ADS-B traffic with a ADS-B receiver–air to air and ground uplink. Air to air is straightforward: all airplanes equipped with ADS-B Out (so-called “participating aircraft”) will transmit their location, and the GDL 88 will pick up these transmissions directly. Because the GDL 88 is dual band (1090 and 978), it will receive all ADS-B Out transmissions from nearby aircraft. No ground stations ever come into play here."

Okay. Have any idea why ALT (or delta ALT) was delayed, perhaps by only 30 seconds?