Top prop install question

Question for the propeller guys: just installing new top prop for M20E, the IO360 has the "K" type engine flange, and the prop supplied is "R" type; the manual and the Hartzell tech assure me that "R" can be installed on "K" flange in either mating position (180 deg) (and that in fact Hartzell does not even produce a "K" prop flange since the 1960's).  I'm just looking for reassurance from some of you knowledgeable MS'ers that there is no known issue with having the one additional counterbored hole on the prop hub mated to a non-"drive-bushing" site on the engine flange.

the old prop was HC-C2YK-1BF

the new prop is HC-C2YR-1BFP

thanks

Joel

1964 M20E

Yes Sir, you can install it without worry.

R Flange having two drive pin cutouts can be mounted anyway you want.

Our crankshaft are old(K Flange). With that there was only one way to orient the prop, with the R you can try an smooth up your operation by flipping your prop 180 degrees.

The drive pin is used for alignment, the 6 studs hold it in place. So the hole not having a long enough drive pin is a non-issue.

100% of us have K flange crankshafts in our O-360's

70% of us have R flange props bolted to them.

I have a C3YR, so I'm part of that group.

Hope my 2 cents helped.

If you have any other question, give me a shout.

Okay.. a propeller expert!  Tell me kind sir, I follow what is the recommended procedure for greasing my Hartzel prop and I typically see small amount of grease on the cowling opening.  A fine mist of grease on the windscreen.  The prop is newly OH with about 300 hrs. I'm coming up on annual and do I follow the manual and dose it with another six squirts of the grease gun or just what?

I'm really not an expert at all, I learn something new everyday wrenching on props.

As far as greasing your prop, needs to be done.

But, with it blowing a fine mist, I would remove a couple zerk fitting to see if the hub is pressurized. It is possible it was greased without removing two of the fitting, which WILL cause grease to come down the blade.

Your Hartzell 115N an 139 Manuals(Owners Manual) talk about the proper technique for lubricating you prop.

Unless my Girls have taken them down, I have some pictures of over services props opened up on my website.

Stallingsaircraftpropeller.com

• Like 1