Mooney Summit IV Registration is now open

mike_elliott

On September 2, 2016 at 5:12 PM, Hyett6420 said:

I'm registered, hotel room booked, flights from the UK to Atlanta and then Panama City all booked.  See you all in a few weeks.  Cant wait, it will  be so good to meet some more of you guys and see all your planes and also obviously take part in all the events.  

Andrew

See you there! We'll all recognize you when you speak . . .  :lol:

Last year was a great time,,hopefully the weather will be nicer this year and I won't need to fly the GPS approach way out over the bay. I'd like to SEE it this time!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hank said:

See you there! We'll all recognize you when you speak . . .  :lol:

Last year was a great time,,hopefully the weather will be nicer this year and I won't need to fly the GPS approach way out over the bay. I'd like to SEE it this time!

I thought George did a commendable job flying GPS 34 last year.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 6:38 PM, Danb said:

Hey Mike were you successful in acquiring the hypoxia chamber,

Thanx, Dan

No, unfortunately I wasn't. CAMI says their booked thru 2017 with 10 request for the PROTE, the portable O deprivation unit, for 2018. Tindal needs to get a LOA in place from the FAA like they used to have for their hypobaric chamber. I, a full bird colonel, a major that runs it, a few from the FAA all have been pushing, but it seems it is a rope we are pushing.

Perhaps if a congressman were to buy a new Acclaim, we could have him possibly "mention" it in his circles. Those of us that fly in the 10-17K range are the most in need of this training, as hypoxia is an insidious killer. My position with CAMI was that by the obvious unavailability of the unit, and the potential to really impact lives saved, it would appear there would be few other items that would rank higher on a budget's agenda than perhaps greater availability and more units.

George, now that AOPA has the 3rd class medical "handled", what about a push to get the FAA and the Military together so we might be able to use the taxpayer funded training facilities at the Naval and AFB's? How about a push to have the FAA increase the number of O deprivation units, and budget for their use? Would the AOPA ASI like to champion such a cause?

Jeez Mike I couldn't agree more, I'm constantly monitoring my o2,saturation, I generally go on O2 around 8000 ft based on the oximeters I carry, my bride is good to 13,000 ft or so, the reg a joke based on altitude versus actual individual need. Coming home from Texas where I saw you my O2 was filled and just cert. I landed  in Shreveport and the next day climbing though altitude I had 200 lbs in the tank wtf, if not for the oximeter I would have been blamed for pilot error when you read it in the newspaper. Got to Weber's in Lancaster Pa to see what happened, then repaired. Anything and everything can get screwed up during/after our annuals. As you saw even the pilot.

See you soon

DB

• Like 1

The interesting aspect is that you change tolerances to hypoxia as you age or as health changes.  As a military pilot we have the chamber as a recurring training requirement and should be for anyone who flies above 10K, especially in a non-pressurized plane.   

On a different note, are the events for the summit all at KECP or are some at the airport and some at the hotel?   

On 9/5/2016 at 9:11 AM, Danb said:

When are most of you guys arriving. I'm sneaking over to New Orleans for a few days prior?

I plan on leaving Friday morning sometime.  Let me know when you plan on leaving New Orleans if WX cooperates maybe we can fly there as a flight of 2.  I keep my plane about 15 flight min from KNEW.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 1964-M20E said:

I plan on leaving Friday morning sometime.  Let me know when you plan on leaving New Orleans if WX cooperates maybe we can fly there as a flight of 2.  I keep my plane about 15 flight min from KNEW.

Cool I just cleared my calendar

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 7:31 PM, kpaul said:

The interesting aspect is that you change tolerances to hypoxia as you age or as health changes.  As a military pilot we have the chamber as a recurring training requirement and should be for anyone who flies above 10K, especially in a non-pressurized plane.   

On a different note, are the events for the summit all at KECP or are some at the airport and some at the hotel?   

I couldn't agree more. The frustrating thing is we have been pushing very hard to have this training available, but seem to run into "red tape" issues at every level. Sad thing is everyone agrees that this training should be available for us Mooney pilots. Things like "If we let pilots take the training, we have to let everyone take it" and "my hands are tied" come from those upstream

Mr. Perry, tear down this wall!

As far as the events go, Airport day is open to those that are not registered as well as the registered attendee's will be at KECP, sponsored by SHELTAIR. The other events require you to be registered. We are at our capacity with a wait list now and are not accepting new registrations at this time. We physically cannot fit anyone else into the facilities on Fri eve, Sat and Sunday morning.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

I couldn't agree more. The frustrating thing is we have been pushing very hard to have this training available, but seem to run into "red tape" issues at every level. Sad thing is everyone agrees that this training should be available for us Mooney pilots. Things like "If we let pilots take the training, we have to let everyone take it" and "my hands are tied" come from those upstream

Mr. Perry, tear down this wall!

As far as the events go, Airport day is open to those that are not registered as well as the registered attendee's will be at KECP, sponsored by SHELTAIR. The other events require you to be registered. We are at our capacity with a wait list now and are not accepting new registrations at this time. We physically cannot fit anyone else into the facilities on Fri eve, Sat and Sunday morning.

Mike,

I'm registered and have seen the schedule of events, it just does not list where each is located, unless I missed it somewhere.  I will probably fly my plane down on Friday for the day at the airport, but my wife will be working and won't be able to join until later in the evening.  I only live about 55 miles from KECP and with kids and pets will likely travel back and forth each day.

• Like 1

On September 2, 2016 at 5:12 PM, Hyett6420 said:

I'm registered, hotel room booked, flights from the UK to Atlanta and then Panama City all booked.  See you all in a few weeks.  Cant wait, it will  be so good to meet some more of you guys and see all your planes and also obviously take part in all the events.  

Andrew

I'm headed down Friday morning, back Sunday. 90 miles north of Atlanta....it would be much better to fly down in a Mooney ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Embry-Riddle Univ. at Daytona Beach Int. (KDAB) as a hyperbaric chamber. Wonder if for next year's summit we might be able to work something out with them so that whoever was interested could sign-up for a workshop or seminar on their campus where we could also get to use the chamber. 

I know that in their training, it's offered to students, so why not to off campus groups, like the Mooney Summit attendees who are looking to expand their safety awareness regarding Hypoxia.  Sheltair Aviation is even located there.

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 9:01 AM, Ocalafly said:

Embry-Riddle Univ. at Daytona Beach Int. (KDAB) as a hyperbaric chamber. Wonder if for next year's summit we might be able to work something out with them so that whoever was interested could sign-up for a workshop or seminar on their campus where we could also get to use the chamber. 

I know that in their training, it's offered to students, so why not to off campus groups, like the Mooney Summit attendees who are looking to expand their safety awareness regarding Hypoxia.  Sheltair Aviation is even located there.

Being 4+ hour drive away, it might be a bit of a logistics problem, whereas CAMI's portable Oxygen Deprivation device (PROTE) has "legs" and can come to our venue. KECP and Panama City beach is the home because of the generosity of Ron and JoAnn Dubin, the facilities we have negotiated with Seahaven for, etc.

That said, Ill speak with David Taisch about making it a Florida Lunch group activity if Embry Riddle will do some pro bono stuff. If you know a guy....

The issue with getting the PROTE is its' availability and of course, FAA funding. It is booked thru 2018. My response to this is "buy another, you obviously have identified a need"

For those of you who "know a guy who knows a guy" in DC, you might see if you can get them to apply their form of persuasion. I am already working with George and AOPA on it.

The LOA between the FAA and the USAF probably wont happen again for a variety of reasons, but the PROTE's will do just fine.

We learned yesterday from Maj. Mari Metzler,  (Mars)  that alcohol typically produces the same tells. Those that had to leave early missed a fantastic couple of presentations by Tom McDermott and Mari.

After a long, but fantastic weekend, I am ready to test her theorem, just as soon as I get my 2nd class renewed this afternoon. Alice I am sure will tell me what my tells are :)

• Like 1