How does Mooney handle the Stall?

JoeB

I have two Owners Manuals for my 1970 C, the one that came with it (Manual 70-20C-OM-B, issued February 1970, for Serial Numbers 70001 & ON):

Screenshot_20180123-174815.thumb.jpg.c9c0830d46afcb8a631d7e299cd0ebc8.jpg

And the one for 76-78 models (Manual 1222, issued October 1977, for Serial No. 20-1186 & ON):

Screenshot_20180123-174906.thumb.jpg.7e57283e7539e3397310780e568a5783.jpg

There are many differences between the two, as some controls were rrelocated and functions changed. But still nothing about 6000' agl for certain maneuvers . . . .

Note that neither has a Section 10. Or a Section 9, or even a Section 8 . . . . I included the top of the following pages to make it clear that the Table of Contents did not continue.

P.S.--in both, Section V, Emergency Procedures, is two pages, front and back of the same sheet . . . .

Edited by Hank

18 hours ago, Skates97 said:

I appreciate the input guys. My POH has no notes about anything regarding altitude for slow flight/stalls. What I quoted is out of the 1977 POH which I found and downloaded quite some time after purchasing my plane, completing transition training, and flying it a lot. Learning is a lifelong journey, you just hope that none of the mistakes you make along the way as you learn end your journey.

I should point out that Section 10 in the J POH starts out on page 10-2 with "We have added this special section...to refresh your knowledge of a number of safety subjects.  Topics in this section are mostly excerpts from FAA documents and other articles.  They are not limited to any particular make and model of airplane, and do not replace instructions for any particular types of airplanes."

In other words, there's no reason to assume anything in Section 10 is specific to the M20J, M20C or even any Mooney.  I'm curious where the 6,000 ft came from, IIRC the AIM suggests 3,000 ft?

That is interesting. I can't recall ever taking a student all the way up to 6,000 AGL to do stalls in any plane and certainly cannot imagine twiddling my thumbs for 15 minutes waiting to get there in a Cessna 150. I would be curious if the FAA provided that guidance somewhere.

-Robert

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

I should point out that Section 10 in the J POH starts out on page 10-2 with "We have added this special section...to refresh your knowledge of a number of safety subjects.  Topics in this section are mostly excerpts from FAA documents and other articles.  They are not limited to any particular make and model of airplane, and do not replace instructions for any particular types of airplanes."

In other words, there's no reason to assume anything in Section 10 is specific to the M20J, M20C or even any Mooney.  I'm curious where the 6,000 ft came from, IIRC the AIM suggests 3,000 ft?

From the ACS in regards to Slow Flight and Stalls:

"Select an entry altitude that will allow the Task to be completed no lower than 1,500 feet AGL (ASEL, ASES) or 3,000 feet AGL (AMEL, AMES)."

However, as some have said above there is some wisdom in having more than the required amount of altitude. In the Cherokees that my PPL was done in we always did stalls and slow flight between 2-3,000' AGL just because as Robert mentioned it takes awhile to climb higher. I suppose what the others are relaying is that as the Mooney climbs much better than a trainer it is worth the added safety factor to practice at a higher altitude. If you end up in a spin the Mooney it is going to lose altitude faster than the trainer, I seem to recall that I was told the Cherokee lost about 1,000' per spin where the 1977 C POH states up to 2,000' per spin.

I don't practice slow flight and stalls often, but when I do it is at least 3000 AGL. Mine will break sharply to the left in a deep stall in landing configuration and I do not particularly enjoy it so I usually just go to the buffet or as others pointed out when I'm pulling back and the nose is still dropping.  First time I stalled it I don't think the ball was centered and it was not a pleasant experience.

If it were in a new to me Mooney, I would go higher.

1 hour ago, RobertGary1 said:

That is interesting. I can't recall ever taking a student all the way up to 6,000 AGL to do stalls in any plane and certainly cannot imagine twiddling my thumbs for 15 minutes waiting to get there in a Cessna 150. I would be curious if the FAA provided that guidance somewhere.

-Robert

Of course not.  Might be 15 minutes when the OAT is cool. I learned to fly in the midwestern summer.   Some 150s would never see 6000' on an August day in Indiana with two aboard.  With a little time to get reacquainted, I think that I'd be comfortable doing spins in a C150 at 3000' AGL.