Modern AOA disappointmentad

A wise man once told me never discuss politics and religion unless you want to cause conflict. 

Sooooooo.......leaving those touchy subjects aside....who else feels that Melania would be the no brainer choice instead of Hillary or Trump?

On this site you better not discuss; LOP, CamGuard, approach speeds, AOA indicators, flap position, Garmin vs. Aspen, mechanical vs. glass and Little Timmy.

Good thing we can still talk about beautiful women. This is a woman, right? I mean women sometimes do have hairy arms, right?

e80fae66f4e035fb916712928a9d1cad.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chris, you have issues man! 

21 minutes ago, Marauder said:

...This is a woman, right? I mean women sometimes do have hairy arms, right?

Ummmm....The semblance of one is definitely there. Yup no argument here!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, teejayevans said:

I'm curious, what do the big jets with AOA indicators look like?

There has been some conjecture that AOAs can save lives, got any data to back that up?

Lets take the turn to final, where the pilot realizes he is overshooting the runway, his head is turn to the left, a 100 AOA indicators glowing blue, yellow or red is not going to help him.

I have my speeds on by checklist, all for mid weight, I add or subtract if heavy or light, seems to work just fine, maybe if I was flying into sub 2000' runways I'd want more precision. Someday I might take a ride with someone who has a AOA and I'll change my mind, for now, they seem like secondary stall indicators.

So I'll take a stab at trying to convince you. One of the accident videos I watched that really hit close to home for me was the one in Florida. My CYA-100 indicator is installed just to the left and above my ASI. Easy to see, especially on left turns. With bright LED lights there isn't anything I have to see for more than a split second to give me an idea of my situation. Also, I have an audible alarm just in case my attention is outside my field of vision. Is this foolproof? Nope....I know it. But it's one more tool that I feel gives me an edge if I'm in a high stress situation where the thought process can come to a grinding halt. I'm not a professional pilot. I don't have thousands of hours training or time in simulators to practice unusual attitudes so any tool I can use that's within my time or financial ability is worth the effort. Without question, the best tool is time behind the yoke practicing. Anything that will help me close the gap between my inexperience and that time behind the yoke is good.....in my opinion.

5 hours ago, PTK said:

I'm grateful that we have professional pilots here on MS who, despite the abuse, have the patience and take the time to share their expertise and their knowledge for the taking. They are an invaluable asset to the forum. 

While I can walk into a college physics class and teach it, I don't feel my physics degree qualifies me to dictate to a professional pilot on matters totally within his/her realm and out of mine!

Couldn't agree more....but a professional pilots perspective might be slightly different from mine.

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Good thing we can still talk about beautiful women. This is a woman, right? I mean women sometimes do have hairy arms, right?

Incidentally Chris I have noticed a pattern of a certain...let's see...how can I put this...well what appears to be...an obsession for semi-domesticated, large and hairy ruminant like animals. Out of curiosity, have you had your umm...condition officially diagnosed?! Is there a name for it?

I tend to stay off the threads that turn ugly, however with regard to AOA I am going to jump in.

Yes, I am a professional pilot; the military pays me to fly.

Yes, I own a GA aircraft, M20F

Yes, I fly an airplane with AOA, stick shaker and a pusher, along with calculated approach speeds for every 500lb change in weight

Yes, we regularly fly these aircraft well above the published max gross weight in high DA locations (we have a waiver from the manufacture to operate the weights we do).

Yes, I will roll to 60 degrees in the traffic pattern

Yes, I look inside at both airspeed and AOA

Yes, we practice the “impossible turn” flying on AOA you need less than 500AGL to turn back and land.

In 400,000+ flight hours in the past 10 years for our community we have not crashed an aircraft because of using AOA or flying on the margins.  We did lose a crew to special disorientation, but that is a story for another time.

AOA is a tool, but one that can keep you within safe margins.  In the final turn we fly Vref +10kts or AOA. On AOA is always slower than Vref+10. 

If I find the right AOA system I will likely install it on my own aircraft, I have seen the utility behind using it.  Once I can afford it I will be installing an Aspen as well, sure I can fly just fine with my vac ADI and compass card, but having all the rest of the information displayed in one location alone with a HSI is a safety upgrade.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, jetdriven said:

where is the AOA indicator, private pilot?  an AOA sensor is not thing, the cockpit display is another. But a professional pilot would know that, a hobbyist, not so much. Read and learn you can aspire to greatness someday Until then, kiss your wife every time you leave. 

That kind of condescending attitude toward another human being is nauseating. Anyone who has to tell you repeatedly how much better he is than you loses the respect of anyone who understands good character. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marauder said: Good thing we can still talk about beautiful women. This is a woman, right? I mean women sometimes do have hairy arms, right?

Incidentally Chris I have noticed a pattern of a certain...let's see...how can I put this...well what appears to be...an obsession for semi-domesticated, large and hairy ruminant like animals. Out of curiosity, have you had your umm...condition officially diagnosed?! Is there a name for it?

Yeah, it is called "idontwanttogetfatagainitis". When I hit 300 pounds and my talking scale was saying "one at a time please", I came to the realization I needed a daily reminder. What better way than a visual reminder?

At least I didn't post picture of you at work.

Or did I?

c01de4a1b67981c3d82813c589cc32a0.jpg

• Like 1