New C Model Owner and OSH Woes

45 minutes ago, Marcopolo said:

Found out this morning that I will not be able to swing the caravan logistically, is it still possible to park with my Mooney brethren?

Camping in the North40 is first come first served. And so the whole purpose of the Caravan and other formation arrivals is just to ensure camping together. I know it looks cool and all that, but the simple purpose is actually parking together.  So if you don't fly in with the Caravan, it's possible, but not assured that you can park and camp with the group.

Best you can hope for is to print a second sign that says Mooney Camping to show with your GAC sign and if you're lucky they'll marshal you close. You'd have to get there vey soon after the caravan arrival to have much of a chance.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Thank you KS, and Paul,

I understand the process for the north 40 and pretty much had the plan in place for the clinic in June and the caravan into osh but work is getting the better of that plan.  I saw Mr. Belville's post about camping with the mooney's and thought I would ask the question.

Ron

31 minutes ago, Marcopolo said:

Thank you KS, and Paul,

I understand the process for the north 40 and pretty much had the plan in place for the clinic in June and the caravan into osh but work is getting the better of that plan.  I saw Mr. Belville's post about camping with the mooney's and thought I would ask the question.

Ron

Ron, perhaps my experience from last year will shed light. I had a flat nose wheel tire while taxiing last year. It was late afternoon on Sunday and the plane was towed to a maintenance bull pen for the night. Monday morning David Staffeldt who comes in early every year and volunteers as an A&P, changed out the tube and I taxied a couple of miles to the Caravan section in the North Forty. I was challenged a half dozen times by ground personnel who were advised that the North 40 was full. (I had a sign with a row # on it) I assured them my space in row XXX was there. They held me until someone physically drove up there and verified with "Bucko" that the space beside his E was for me. It was clear to me that the ground ops folks were used to pilots trying to bluff their way through and that the guy waving a stop sign at you does not have the authority to let planes go without higher authorization. (Later Monday the airport was closed to new arrivals for several hours - there were no parking spaces available.)

Having said all that, if you arrive shortly after the Caravan lands and if you've called me or someone else is the Caravan to learn which rows we're in you might be able to get there or close.  

• Like 1

Thanks Bob,

I should be arriving very near the caravan time, and I am not asking for any preferential treatment, I understand the caravan is the ticket to mooney camping, I will take whatever I can get and will enjoy whomever my neighbors turn out to be.  That being said, if there is a space that someone would rather have a Mooney fill then I've got one of those and would love to fill it.

fingers crossed,

Ron

3 hours ago, Marcopolo said:

had the plan in place for the clinic in June and the caravan into osh

Ron,

There is "hopefully" going to be a back up clinic 15 July at KHKY (Hickory NC).  I am deployed through the beginning of July so there were no opportunities and the east coast guys are kind enough to agree to another date.

• Like 1

I would definitely attend the clinic in July at KHKY but it will not help me with the caravan as I cannot leave for Osh until Sunday(23rd) morning.  Thanks for the heads up on the possible additional date though, it helps as I ended up having to work the weekend of the one in June.