Garmin G5 STC $2149

FloridaMan

Ya but that picture or not the unit you will be installing.  

This is, and that's it.

well photos won't upload  but it's attitude, altitude and airspeed only, for the most part  

Edited by jetdriven

11 hours ago, jetdriven said:

It has airspeed altitude, groundspeed and track. But that's it. 

I think it will give you:

Attitude, airspeed, altitude and rate of climb.

IF the internal GPS antenna works or IF you attach an external GPS antenna or IF you connect it to your GNS or GTN series GPS it will also give you:

Ground track and ground speed.

So in other words, it will give you everything you see there but it will not be able to connect to an autopilot.

It will be primary for attitude and secondary for everything else.

They were required by the FAA to disable the connection to an autopilot.

For me, this makes it the perfect instrument to replace my turn coordinator.  That would give me a battery backed up attitude indicator to look at if my ADI or vacuum pump quit while IMC.  If my ADI lasts until the KI300 is available, then if my partners are willing to spend the money, I'd get the KI300 as a plug in replacement for my ADI/FD/KFC200 attitude source.

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

Will SVT come to G5?

Does anyone use synthetic vision?  I have it with Garmin pilot and played with it, once past the gee wiz phase it's not very useful, probably could use it for a 0-0 landing in case of a emergency, but it would not be a smooth one, sometimes use it to look for traffic, what am I missing?

So it looks like the STC'd one is comparable to the Sandia Quatro for about $1,200 less.  It may not have all the features, but for what it is, compared to its competition it looks like a competitive price point.  They have to dumb these things down to meet the FAA guidance on install of EFIS systems don't they?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, geoffb said:

So it looks like the STC'd one is comparable to the Sandia Quatro for about $1,200 less.  It may not have all the features, but for what it is, compared to its competition it looks like a competitive price point.  They have to dumb these things down to meet the FAA guidance on install of EFIS systems don't they?

Quite true.  I think the FAA seems to be allowing baby steps.  But my guess is that over time they will become more bold and allow the actual features to be used.

• Like 1

Is the HSI feature disabled as well?

I have an old Century IIB autopilot, which uses both Attitude and directional gyro inputs.  

This STCd G5 could get me an attitude backup, allow me to get rid of the TC and probably move the vacuum AI down to the TC spot.  But it won't allow me to remove the AI.

If I had an IA who was willing to consider installation of the experimental G5 as backup only minor mod since it would not involve removal of the primary instruments, I'd get more bang for the buck.  In fact, I could get two experimental versions with more functionality in the panel for the price of one STCd version. 

41 minutes ago, bradp said:

Is the HSI feature disabled as well?

I have an old Century IIB autopilot, which uses both Attitude and directional gyro inputs.  

This STCd G5 could get me an attitude backup, allow me to get rid of the TC and probably move the vacuum AI down to the TC spot.  But it won't allow me to remove the AI.

If I had an IA who was willing to consider installation of the experimental G5 as backup only minor mod since it would not involve removal of the primary instruments, I'd get more bang for the buck.  In fact, I could get two experimental versions with more functionality in the panel for the price of one STCd version. 

There is no HSI function, no LOC, VOR, GS, FD, autopilot outputs, heading, altitude preselect. none of that.  You get attitude ground speed, ground track, IAS and altitude.  And skid ball.  Your can move your primary century AI to the lower left of the of the 6-pack and install the G5 front and center.   That's how I did my castleberry electric AI 3 years ago. 

In that case I'd consider installing the experimental version instead of the STCd if it can be done as a minor mod.... Even if it couldn't be installed front and center like the STCd G5, at least you would get HSI and preselect functions.  

1 hour ago, NotarPilot said:

I asked Garmin this at Airventure and they said they have no plans to introduce SVT to the G5. They said they wanted to keep it as simple as possible.

Too bad - that is what I would want.

Then, what is the G5 or Dynon doing for me that this GRR unit does not - plus the GRR is cheaper, and it has SVT?

http://www.grtavionics.com/mini-ga.html

The GRR cannot be installed as a primary or a backup, it can only be used as supplementary info.  Further, that FAA memo says it can't be the focus of the primary field of view so maybe you can install it near the gear handle or pretty sure you can put it on the copilot side.  

Edited by jetdriven

3 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Too bad - that is what I would want.

Then, what is the G5 or Dynon doing for me that this GRR unit does not - plus the GRR is cheaper, and it has SVT?

http://www.grtavionics.com/mini-ga.html

it's consider a portable and doesn't replace AI or HSI...my Ipad does all this and more.  Unless I can replace mechanical HSI, and make it a primary, I'll stick with what I got.

4 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

The GRR cannot be installed as a primary or a backup, it can only be used as supplementary info.  Further, that FAA memo says it can't be the focus of the primary field of view so maybe you can install it near the gear handle or pretty sure you can put it on the copilot side.  

True - can't be a primary.  But I bet it could replace my electric gyro ball which is not in the six pack, but in one of the two 7-8 positions in front of the pilot.  Is that forbidden?  As a backup I bet it is just as good as the G5.  Isn't the GRR allowed to be "temporarily" installed in one of the 7-8 positions in front of the pilot?

I couldn't use the G5 as a primary anyway because my autopilot as the KFC200 needs the vacuum gyro to drive it since the G5 is not allowed to drive an autopilot.  So by rules G5 can only be backup in my plane anyway.

But you need a primary AI and either a secondary AI or a turn coordinator, or a turn and bank indicator.  This won't satisfy the replacement of any of those.  So if you simply add it, sure I bet you can. I just question the utility of it when you do.  

'If common sense and current FAA regulatory trends prevail... ' - AOPA's  Dave Hirschman regarding G5 systems.  Aug2016 turbine edition...

Looks good but, requires more cooperation with a big government entity than is available today.

Sharing an observation...,

-a-

1 hour ago, jetdriven said:

But you need a primary AI and either a secondary AI or a turn coordinator, or a turn and bank indicator.  This won't satisfy the replacement of any of those.  So if you simply add it, sure I bet you can. I just question the utility of it when you do.  

Yes, I agree - it can't be a primary.  So I keep my King KI-256 vacuum gyro attitude indicator to drive my KFC200 autopilot, and none of the G5, Dynon D10a, or the Grr mini does any good in that role.  So we are talking just about optional backup.  I also have a turn coordinator.  Currently I also have an electric gryo ball as optional backup.  I have been thinking about moving that optional electric gyro to the copilot side and putting something in the hole it leaves behind - like the grr with SVT since I figure that adds to situational awareness, even if it is not an official instrument it is allowed as a temporary install.

On July 29, 2016 at 10:00 AM, teejayevans said:

Does anyone use synthetic vision?  I have it with Garmin pilot and played with it, once past the gee wiz phase it's not very useful, probably could use it for a 0-0 landing in case of a emergency, but it would not be a smooth one, sometimes use it to look for traffic, what am I missing?

Flying in coastal Texas (maybe similar to Florida), it has limited practical usage.  Did a mountain flying course in Colorado and suddenly the usefulness came alive.  Very helpful and very informative when combined with the G500 and GTN750 standard terrain functions.