First oil change on my bravo

Casey

Ok so I'm getting ready to to the first oil change on my new to me Bravo and am looking for some advice. First I am trying to locate a digital version of the maintenance manual so if anyone knows a good place to get that I would appreciate it. Second is I need to order everything for the oil change since I'm currently located right in the middle of nowhere (O'Neill Nebraska) and don't know of a good brick and mortar store to buy from.  So what site do you guys recommend for ordering parts from? Also since I don't have the manual I don't have a list of parts or part numbers that I will need so if anyone has that list it would be very helpful. I've done owner maintenance on previous aircraft I've owned but this will be the first on my Mooney so if you have any helpful tips and tricks I would love to hear those as well. Oh and if by chance there is anyone close by that wants to lend a helping hand I'll gladly supply the cold beverages and maybe some pizza. Thanks 

Find the thread regarding removing the Bravo's cowl.  Somebody did a really nice job of showing their technique.

it may give you some additional ideas...

while you are in there look for things like exhaust anomalies and safety wiring methods.

Best regards,

-a-

Getting the bottom half of the cowl off and on is the biggest hassle of the operation...besides the inevitable oil spillage from removing the oil filter itself.  I get stuff mostly from Aircraft Spruce (case of oil, Camguard, oil filter).  Remember the Bravo is 25 hour oil change engine...I replace filter every oil change and add requisite Camguard.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help. Turns out the small town Airport here had everything I needed and the manager even offered to give me a hand. The cowling was easier than I thought it would be. I'm going to order a bottle of cam guard tonight so I should have it in before I go flying again. Hardest part of the day was washing the plane after the oil change. Plane washing is a lot like work 

One way to keep the oil spilliage to a minimum is to run the engine to heat the oil and start it draining on one day, then come back the next day to replace the oil filter and finish up. The cooler oil will not run out of the filter as quickly as warm oil so you'll have less mess.

5 hours ago, carqwik said:

Took me three days to wash, clay bar, and then wax the plane...about three hours each day invested. 

Btw, clay bar is very good for restoring luster to your paint.  Here's a pic...

059.jpg

No professional detailer would spend the time and do as good a job as you did on your plane. If you find one that did it would probably be cost prohibitive! Looks great!

12 hours ago, carqwik said:

Took me three days to wash, clay bar, and then wax the plane...about three hours each day invested. 

Btw, clay bar is very good for restoring luster to your paint.  Here's a pic...

059.jpg

I like that paint scheme, a lot.

• Like 1

For clay bar, just go to Walmart or any auto store and get the kit to start or buy each of the components separately.  The "kit" will do about 3/4 of a long body Mooney as I recall....I think I ran out of the "Quick Detailer" first so had to buy a separate bottle.

Clay bar is very labor intensive...has to be done by hand.  Easy but time consuming.  Just know that if for any reason you drop the clay on the floor, it must be discarded and you have to get a new piece.  (You use a small portion of the bar at a time.) 

The test if you need to clay bar is to run your fingers lightly over the paint on your wings.  If it feels "rough," then it's time to clay bar.  When you finish with the clay bar, the paint surface will feel smooth...then go wax it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The real test is to put your hand in a Walmart or Lowes plastic bag or similar and rub the paint. Try it on your car paint with hand only...if smooth try the bag :-) No I don't clay bar my plane....or the cars :-) I do wash the plane sometimes when the weather cooperates (rain) haha