Avidyne IFD 440 - Learning The System

I thought I'd start a thread where we could share info on the Avidyne GPS units.  If we could keep the thread on track that would be great.  I'm looking for info as much as sharing what I find.

I would like to focus this thread on Instrument flying but much of it will be for anyone wanting to learn their equipment.  

This spring I purchased my '65 M20E and immediately replaced the Garmin with the Avidyne equipment.  So far I'm impressed.  

First PIREP is on PilotSafety.org and their training series on the Avidyne  (specifically the media that it comes on).  I ordered the USB version and it showed up in a couple days...so far, so good.

I've purchased training aids from King and Pilot Workshops.  I highly recommend these two companies for the ease of using their products.  The Pilot Workshop USB stick works on just about anything I use it on, even the TV and King allowed me to download the videos to my Apple products or view them online on any device.

However, the Pilot Safety USB is quite annoying.  You might want to go with the DVD.  The only thing I was able to get their security to work on was my Mac.  The instructions say if it doesn't work on your computer, then try another one!  Really?

FullSizeRender.jpg

But I do recommend the training from what I've seen so far.  Video quality and quality of instruction so far has been good.  Gary presents the material great and explains things very well.  I'll have a better PIREP of the actual material once I finish the training.

The IFD 440 does get hot.  I talked to Sam who assured me there are 2 fans in the unit and it has over heat protection that warns you and if you ignore the message the system will shut itself down.  So far in all these 100 degree days I have had no problems.

Things I like so far:  

• The 'Switch Tanks' feature is awesome.  Just what it says, a little message appears on the side of the screen when it's time to switch tanks.  You set the time in 15 minute increments. 
  • The FMS page allows you to see your map and your routing at the same time.  That always bugged me about the GNS 430, it seemed I was always missing some info.
  • You can use the knobs for most of the tuning and selecting even though it has a touch screen. The first day out was bumpy and the touch screen became useless.
  • Geofill is great...I feel like I'm cheating.
  • The frequency history has come in handy and only have about 5 hours on the unit.
  • USB port charges my iPad while in flight.
  • Traffic is easier to see on the screen than I though it would be. 
  • The DATA tab on the right of the screen gives ETA and other data while being able to see the map at the same time.

I'm sure I'll have more. 

Thanks for starting this thread. '25K is in with Avionik Straubing at the moment getting 540/440/340 fitted and I've been spending some time with the sim getting used to it, although of course the sim is a bit different to handle!

I'm in the process of putting myself a spreadsheet together with all the user options I need to get set up which I'll transfer into the unit when I get back to home base - for the trip back home I'll see how I get on with the defaults. Of course this is all going to change a bit when 10.2 comes along, but we've got to play the waiting game until the FAA extracts the digit - looking forward to the SynVis although I don't know how well and old f*rt like me will get on with it!

Roll on the 5th Aug when the install should be complete :-)

Just happened to see this....

Avidyne Exploring DIY Plug ’n’ Play Avionics Installs

Avionics manufacturer Avidyne makes various FMS/navigator/radio systems that are designed to fit into existing avionics trays without any hardware modifications. Its IFD440, for example, is plug-and-play compatible with Garmin’s GNS 430W, and the same is true of the IFD540 and upcoming IFD550, which can be swapped into the tray of a GNS 530W. But aircraft owners buying the IFD units must pay an avionics shop to make the swap, check some configurations, run ground tests and sign off the installation. “Why can’t I swap my own box?” asked Avidyne president and CEO Dan Schwinn.

After checking the applicable FAA regulations, Avidyne feels that wording of Part 43 Appendix A, item 31 should allow a pilot to perform such an installation on his or her own airplane, under the preventive maintenance regulations. So Avidyne put together a guide to show pilots how to perform the swap to an IFD unit, including configuration instructions and how to perform ground and flight testing as well as the sign-off. One caveat is that only existing WAAS GNS units can be replaced with an IFD. A non-WAAS GNS isn’t eligible for plugging and playing with an IFD, which includes a WAAS GPS sensor.

Read Expanded Version

Still having a bit of trouble changing the hold to different than what the Avidyne gives me.

For example.

Direct to MPQ VOR and hold West on the 270 radial standard turns.  

If my heading is 330 to the VOR, all I have to do is touch that magenta block (or gray if I'm not yet direct and tell it go direct).  Then select the option of Hold (or any of the V airways).

Now it gives me a hold but I want to select a different radial...seems like it gives me a hold, in this case of an inbound course of 330, on the 150 radial.

According to the training videos you should be able to select that route again and it allows you to edit the radial you are holding on (which will be a reciprocal of your inbound leg...in this case hold on the 270 radial and your OBS would be tuned to 090 TO).

Does the GPS/OBS setting have anything to do with it?  Or is it a 'view' setting for the FMS button?

Tim

I give the training from PilotSafety a 2.5 out of 5.    That's just my opinion.  If you're really interested in why I felt this way about the content pm me. 

I feel it's more important to get a safety pilot and fly some task oriented flights with the new equipment.  For example the first day I did an RNAV approach.  Next 2 flights tracking and holds and I'll do another flight later this week with holds (I think I finally figured it out) and some ILS.

Tim

Holds.  Here's what I've leaned.  I wanted direct KAFW to UKN and hold West on the 270 radial.   But below is what I get.

image.png

The problem is it gives me a hold on my course heading of 318, I assume because there is not a published hold. 

You have to open the FPL tab (which is right of center in photo above) to edit the hold.  Which will look like this...

image.png

There's two ways to change the data, use the knobs to scroll over the 318 or just touch the 318 heading.  Then change it to 090 which is your inbound heading (shown below) by using the knobs or enter it on the pop up keypad (not shown).  You can also change hold direction (left/right), and crossing altitudes here. 

image.png

Notice it also says we are holding West of the VOR as ATC instructed. 

I was able to get in an ILS and an RNAV yesterday.  

The frequency auto tunes when it auto switches to VLOC.  That's really nice but makes me lazy.

If anyone is interested I'll try to make some video of some approaches. 

• Like 1