Water inside after monsoon and tiedown

I had my plane tied down through a pretty heavy rain event in Wisconsin this past weekend.  I have a a Bruce's Custom Cover.  When I removed cover and climbed into plane I noticed several drips from ceiling in vicinity of overhead vents/headliner.  Plane is usually hangered except when away from home.  Anybody else ever experience this event?  I was not happy with my decision to wave the overnight hanger charge, but thought tied down with cover it would be fine.  Not so much.  I have SB tube compliance completed and the tubes looked good when I had interior out (removed ALL old insulation), but sheesh.  How do you think the water entered?  Through the closed ram air scoop?  Antenna's have silicone and windshield is solid.  Area by side-Windows is to low for headliner dripping...

Just thought I would pass along my experience.  Those covers are NOT waterproof in a sustained rain/gully washer.

Edited by MyNameIsNobody

Just now, MyNameIsNobody said:

I had my plane tied down through a pretty heavy rain event in Wisconsin this past weekend.  I have a a Bruce's Custom Cover.  When I removed cover and climbed into plane I noticed several drips from ceiling in vicinity of overhead vents/headliner.  Plane is usually hungered except when away from home.  Anybody else ever experience this event?  I was not happy with my decision to wage the overnight hanger charge, but thought tied down with cover it would be fine.  Not so much.  I have SB tube compliance completed and the tubes looked good when I had interior out (removed ALL old insulation), but sheesh.  How do you think the water entered?  Through the closed ram air scoop?  Antenna's have silicone and windshield is solid.  Area by side-Windows is to low for headliner dripping...

Just thought I would pass along my experience.  Those covers are NOT waterproof in a sustained rain/gully washer.

Yikes, that sounds awful.  Did you put a dehumidifier in it for a couple days to dry it all out really well before you put it back together?

Just now, Patto said:

Yikes, that sounds awful.  Did you put a dehumidifier in it for a couple days to dry it all out really well before you put it back together?

Plane did not appear "wet", but there were drips.  I re-did interior/removed old original insulation several years ago, so plastic around tubes not insulation that would retain moisture.  Just a head-scratcher on how it got in with cover in place, vents closed.  

41 minutes ago, rbridges said:

My ceiling would get wet aft of the vents. Turned out the drain tube was disconnected from the vent box. 

Verify the drain tube is not kinked or clogged. You can check this by pouring water into the vent and checking for draining out of the drain tube into the floor. Check also for wet carpet on the back seats. Leaks on the windshield front panels are the source.

Edited by Piloto
  • Like 2