Landing in Erie, PA - 360 Degree video

BradB

Here is another 360 degree video of an approach and landing into Erie, Pa (KERI) today after practicing approaches in Cleveland. 

The video will not work in the Safari Browser.  Try it on your phone for best results, it should open in the youtube app.  Then, you can move you phone to look all around or use your finger on the screen to change the view.

https://youtu.be/2tz-h2WBiUs

Gear down 1:18

Landing 3:55

• Like 3

The video will play in Safari, but you don't get to control the view.  In other browsers or the youtube app, you can look all around and change the view as the video is playing.  The view in safari is just the Raw video, which can look rather odd.

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

That is rather odd...

must be an app for best viewing for that..?

Best regards,

-a-

It will work in chrome or Firefox on your computer.  Or the YouTube app on your phone.   If you click on the link from your phone or iPad, it should launch in the YouTube app, if you have it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, slowflyin said:

Very nice!  Which model 360Fly are you using?

This was the regular 360flyHD, not the 4K.

1 hour ago, MooneyBob said:

Pretty cool. Any video from inside? 

Not from this flight.  I played around with the camera on the inside on a different flight.  That video is in another thread here started by HRM

http://mooneyspace.com/topic/19094-any-mooniacs-with-a-360fly-yet/

Brad

this is actually pretty darn cool.  I would like to make 1 suggestion (for anyone using these 360 cameras), take it or leave it.  on youtube, in the description, you can make time references to certain events in the video you want to call out.  now with these 360 degree cameras, I think that becomes a little more important, so you can call out something like:

1:18 gear down

1:40 1st notch flaps

1:57 bird crosses in front of plane

2:28 mains touch down

etc....these are just made up times/events, and although it's easy enough to figure out, it'll let people know when to swing the camera around to the callout event.  cool video!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, eman1200 said:

this is actually pretty darn cool.  I would like to make 1 suggestion (for anyone using these 360 cameras), take it or leave it.  on youtube, in the description, you can make time references to certain events in the video you want to call out.  now with these 360 degree cameras, I think that becomes a little more important, so you can call out something like:

1:18 gear down

1:40 1st notch flaps

1:57 bird crosses in front of plane

2:28 mains touch down

etc....these are just made up times/events, and although it's easy enough to figure out, it'll let people know when to swing the camera around to the callout event.  cool video!

Great suggestion.  I will edit my description this evening.  

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Ned Gravel said:

Can I ask why you landed right traffic to 24?  I was there two months ago on an IFR flight plan from Cincinnati and I was left traffic to 24.

I'm curious what prompted that question. It's a towered airport. :huh:

My guess is the answer is simply, the tower said "make right traffic" or "enter right downwind." Looking at a direct route from Cleveland, either makes sense, although assuming a shore route, right traffic actually makes more.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2016 at 4:12 AM, Ned Gravel said:

Can I ask why you landed right traffic to 24?  I was there two months ago on an IFR flight plan from Cincinnati and I was left traffic to 24.

Yes,   I had done a practice approach at Burke Lakefront.  The published missed and the vectors that you get on a missed take you north over the lake.  Then, I was cleared direct to Erie at some point and ended up coming in on the north side of the airport.   

The tower here doesn't seem to favor left or right, just what is convenient.   I have been in the traffic pattern along with some of the training Archers.   They got left traffic and I got right traffic because of our speed differences.  

On 11/27/2016 at 9:01 AM, Ned Gravel said:

S'wat I thought. Question comes from me being relatively uncomfortable at that altitude over water.  That's all.

Easy gliding distance to shore or the airport from there.   Also, during the summer, the water is nice and warm.  T

he winter is a whole different story.

I'll be going to Toronto on Wednesday,  I'll plan on nice and high for the lake crossings.

When we left Erie we crossed the lake as well, but up at 11,000 to stay within gliding distance of one of the shorelines.  We were thinking of going into Toronto city centre, but she wanted to get home so we filed for Ottawa and did both the EAPIS and CANPASS for the longer trip.  Took about 2 hrs 15 mins.  

• 5 months later...
6 hours ago, Boilermonkey said:

Have you been able to find an inside mount that will also be able to get a glimpse of the panel?

It wouldn't be hard to figure something out.  I am away for the weekend.   I'll try to play with it on the flight home Sunday or early next week and post something. 

10 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

What mount are you using ? I'm looking for an external one.

I forget exactly where I ordered it.  But, this is what I use:

https://www.pilotmall.com/product/MyPilotPro-GoPro-Mount-for-Airplanes/video-systems?gclid=CJ72_7ap29MCFZGCswodzRoGzg

i put on my tie down ring for the flight and put it on there.    I have a long body, so I'm not that excited to use the tail tie down.   

3 hours ago, BradB said:

I forget exactly where I ordered it.  But, this is what I use:

https://www.pilotmall.com/product/MyPilotPro-GoPro-Mount-for-Airplanes/video-systems?gclid=CJ72_7ap29MCFZGCswodzRoGzg

i put on my tie down ring for the flight and put it on there.    I have a long body, so I'm not that excited to use the tail tie down.   

Amazon has it, same day delivery !

https://www.amazon.com/MyPilotPro-Mount-for-GoPro/dp/B019YOYEYK