New pilot looking for some Moony time in Tampa Bay

Albatros

Hello to all!

I just got my private pilot certificate and with it I got Moony bug :). I'm interested in buying Moony sometimes later or co ownership.  But first wanna get some stick time in it. What I'm looking for is local Tampa Bay pilots who have Moony and want some company flying, I'll share expenses as usual. What I offer is inexperience and sense of humor. I had interesting life so I'll keep you entertained for sure.

Thanks

Welcome aboard! Tell us more about yourself. What are you flying and how did you get bitten by the bug?

Ryoder is in Tampa with a -C model but I think he sold it, but that member is on here every once in a while. We have two or three members south of you also with the newer, bigger, faster models. I am north of you by 2 hours in Lake City with a -C model.

Are you familiar with the different Mooney models? Give us your mission and we can recommend what would work good for you. Be sure to get your complex (and high-performance if possible) ASAP so you can log PIC in a Mooney when you do get to go. Initial insurance agencies will want to know how much complex and how much Mooney-time you've got.

Check out MAPA (Mooney Aircraft Pilots Association). We have a monthly Florida luncheon that varies on location. You are urban enough I'm sure you'll find someone local.

• Like 1

First I wanna thank "jkhirsch". He took me up and spend some time explaining ins and outs of Mooney. My new BFF!

I been flying for some time. My cousin is big aviation guru with some serious flying time (Airplane and glider) in midwest. While I was there I was flying with him every chance I had. Finally got tired after all this years and got me private pilot certificate couple weeks ago. 

What I'm looking for is co ownership of Mooney with one or more pilots. Hopefully at KPIE or KCLW.

I had exciting life and recently had major injury to my leg which took me out of couple hobby's use to do. Now I wanna fly every chance I have. Don't have $$$ to go alone on Airplane so I feel I'm like crack addict at airports asking for fix.

Personally I got Wife and three great kids, 44 years old 6'4" 250 lbs (hint, W&B), Born in Yugoslavia, lived in Africa, Served in Bosnian Army during civil war as trauma medic, Migrated to US in 93. Sell drugs for living ( legal ones :). 

• Like 2

Hey, 

On July 20, 2016 at 2:25 AM, Raptor05121 said:

Welcome aboard! Tell us more about yourself. What are you flying and how did you get bitten by the bug?

Ryoder is in Tampa with a -C model but I think he sold it, but that member is on here every once in a while. We have two or three members south of you also with the newer, bigger, faster models. I am north of you by 2 hours in Lake City with a -C model.

Are you familiar with the different Mooney models? Give us your mission and we can recommend what would work good for you. Be sure to get your complex (and high-performance if possible) ASAP so you can log PIC in a Mooney when you do get to go. Initial insurance agencies will want to know how much complex and how much Mooney-time you've got.

Check out MAPA (Mooney Aircraft Pilots Association). We have a monthly Florida luncheon that varies on location. You are urban enough I'm sure you'll find someone local.

Im the one that bought ryoder mooney. Be glad to take you up some time. Drop me a line. 

• 1 month later...

Albatros

The first thing that you'll have to do to legally be able to fly a Mooney is get your complex endorsement. For that, you will need to fly with a CFI for about 6 hours of complex training minimum and he will then sign you off as complex trained. This is assuming you are not already signed off on a complex aircraft. Then you will have to meet whatever other requirements the insurance company will require of you.

This I know, first hand since I recently .... (4 months ago) went through the endorsement and whatever additional requirements the insurance company wanted me to complete before they would insure the plane I purchased 3 months ago. Which by the way is a M20J.

So, as much as I think it's great for you to go flying with other pilots that have  Mooney's, unless you are currently endorsed for complex airplanes, you are not legally allowed to log the time you fly as co-pilot in these Mooney's.  

Not important you might say but you're wrong from the insurance carrier point of view. Premiums are based of total air time, as wella as time in complex and total time in whatever plane you decide to purchase.

I'd have to check my logbook, but 6-8 hours sounds about right. After seven years if Mooney ownership, I did the HP endorsement in a C182 along with my flight review. Went well until the battery died, so I made my third no-landing-light landing, except this time was also no radio and just 10° flaps at a towered field. The light gun works well, and is very visible in the early evening.

On 9/29/2016 at 9:52 AM, flyboy0681 said:

Back in the 80's I definitely spent at least five hours in the Arrow rental.

Not that it matters for you but if you had complex or high performance time before August 4, 1997 you do not need a sign off according to the regs.  Not withstanding what the insurance company requires.

61.31 e 2 (complex)

(2) The training and endorsement required by paragraph (e)(1) of this section is not required if the person has logged flight time as pilot in command of a complex airplane, or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of a complex airplane prior to August 4, 1997.

61.31 f 2 (high performance)

(2) The training and endorsement required by paragraph (f)(1) of this section is not required if the person has logged flight time as pilot in command of a high-performance airplane, or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of a high-performance airplane prior to August 4, 1997.

• 1 month later...
On 9/29/2016 at 8:28 AM, Ocalafly said:

Albatros

The first thing that you'll have to do to legally be able to fly a Mooney is get your complex endorsement. For that, you will need to fly with a CFI for about 6 hours of complex training minimum and he will then sign you off as complex trained.

6 Hours? Dang. Mine was an hour and a half in a 182RG. lol.

On 9/29/2016 at 6:43 AM, Raptor05121 said:

I'm genuinely curious if anyone has actually taken 6 hours to get their complex endorsement? Mine was 1.0 ground and 0.7 dual

my insurance required 5 hours with CFI.  I didnt feel comfortable until about 10 or 15.  CFI is a friend so it wasnt a big deal.

On 7/24/2016 at 1:50 PM, Albatros said:

First I wanna thank "jkhirsch". He took me up and spend some time explaining ins and outs of Mooney. My new BFF!

I been flying for some time. My cousin is big aviation guru with some serious flying time (Airplane and glider) in midwest. While I was there I was flying with him every chance I had. Finally got tired after all this years and got me private pilot certificate couple weeks ago. 

What I'm looking for is co ownership of Mooney with one or more pilots. Hopefully at KPIE or KCLW.

I had exciting life and recently had major injury to my leg which took me out of couple hobby's use to do. Now I wanna fly every chance I have. Don't have $$$ to go alone on Airplane so I feel I'm like crack addict at airports asking for fix.

Personally I got Wife and three great kids, 44 years old 6'4" 250 lbs (hint, W&B), Born in Yugoslavia, lived in Africa, Served in Bosnian Army during civil war as trauma medic, Migrated to US in 93. Sell drugs for living ( legal ones :). 

Born in Czechoslovakia. In US since 2000. NY and NJ. Moving to Naples private airpark in January 2017. We should get together once I  am down there. 

Just now, MooneyBob said:

Born in Czechoslovakia. In US since 2000. NY and NJ. Moving to Naples private airpark in January 2017. We should get together once I  am down there. 

My son just returned after living and working a year in Prague. He loved it but said it was a difficult place for a foreigner to live.

17 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

My son just returned after living and working a year in Prague. He loved it but said it was a difficult place for a foreigner to live.

Not just for foreigners. That's why I am here. Never looked back. And it would be impossible to own and fly my plane there among other things.