World Record or just another average flight in a Mooney?

Pretty sure I could do this in my Ovation (close anyway) and way faster than 9 hours. I know I could do it in my F model without even thinking about it. 

http://www.thesunchronicle.com/news/local_news/ex-attleboro-pilot-completes-record-setting-fuel-efficiency-flight/article_fb2cd210-4aae-11e6-a900-53cc6bd2c378.html

SUB-CLASS TYPE OF RECORD PERFORMANCE DATE CLAIMANT STATUS ID
C-1c  Aeroplane Efficiency  9 km/kg  2016-07-12  Thierry Saint Loup (USA)  preliminary record claim received  17886
FAI Record File Num #17886  [Direct Link]
Region: World 
Class: C (Powered Aeroplanes) 
Sub-Class: C-1c (Landplanes: take off weight 1000 to 1750 kg) 
Category: Not applicable 
Group: 1 : internal combustion engine 
Type of record: Aeroplane Efficiency 
Performance: 9 km/kg 
Date: 2016-07-12 
Course/Location: Fairfield, NJ (USA) 
Claimant Thierry Saint Loup (USA) 
Crew Thierry Saint Loup (USA), Ross McCurdy (USA) 

Cessna 182

Saw the story on my PC when I got back into the office and I'm thinking I know the LOP guys could do that without a sweat. Heck I could beat that in my C running 130mph on my 54 gallon bladders coarse Id kill my reserve.  I'm thinking I got to go on MS and start a thread no surprise I'm late to the party on this one.

6 minutes ago, Jeff H. said:

I sense a challenge has been issued.  Is there a possible group effort to answer?

My Rocket won't get the job done.  Willing to support in other means.

I think it will - you just need to slow waaaaay down.  Try running an absurdly low power setting and LOP and you will be surprised.  Actually, running too low of a power setting is not necessarily good for the engine - but you can do it to show off.

1 minute ago, aviatoreb said:

I think it will - you just need to slow waaaaay down.

I'm sorry, I know not of the concept of which you speak.  I suspect it may be considered blasphemy, sacrilege, immoral and illegal in 47 states.  Let's keep it polite and not have anymore of that talk, please.

• Like 1

Just now, Jeff H. said:

I'm sorry, I know not of the concept of which you speak.  I suspect it may be considered blasphemy, sacrilege, immoral and illegal in 47 states.  Let's keep it polite and not have anymore of that talk, please.

I apologize - I didn't mean it.

32'' 2450, party on dude!  :-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

So the answer is, the Cessna pilot should have:

-Had the Cessna engine removed and then had a Mooney engine installed.

and then

-Had the Cessna airframe removed and had a Mooney airframe installed.

Then he'd have no useful load!

Clarence

1 hour ago, Joe Zuffoletto said:

My Acclaim flying LOP in the flight levels with no wind gets... 15.1 nautical miles per gallon.

I got no chance in my Bravo, but I'd be waiting after a few cold ones, why go slow.

• Like 2

I would love to put one of these EPS 8-cylinder diesels on the nose of my airplane.

http://eps.aero

At 18gph pumping out 350hp - I bet I would be going 265TAS at 25,000ft.

That's 14.7222mpg in nm, or 16.93055 mpg in sm.

See folks, if you are going to make up numbers off the top of your head, its more convincing if you use lots of artificial precision because it is much more realistic.  At least 3.62 times as convincing.  Maybe a bit more than that even.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

What would a gasoline version get, seeing how the only engines would be the liquid rocket engine or the TSIO-540J2BD.  Last I flew one it was 25 GPH in cruise. Per side 

• Like 1