Help with GTN750/Garmin Database Update

I'm doing my first GTN750 database update and the 750 will NOT update my NAV, FliteCharts, Obstacles or Safetaxi.

I have tried to reinstall the databases from FlyGarmin twice... Plug the new chip into the 750... fire it up... and it reinstalls the other databases, but gives me no option to UPDATE the above databases.

Anyone have this problem... ever?  Is there a way to delete all the databases and refresh?  I have the V6.11 software

I would reinstall the 2 items onto the SD card from flygarmin. I've had plenty of trouble over the years with that step but never a problem going from SD card to 750. (Actually, i think the charts do not load into the 750 and the SD card must be in place to display charts.)

You probably know that when updating from flygarmin you have options to reload files that flygarmin thinks you already have. I usually do 2 SD cards and the doing the second one involves choosing reinstall.

4 hours ago, mooneyflyer said:

I'm doing my first GTN750 database update and the 750 will NOT update my NAV, FliteCharts, Obstacles or Safetaxi.

I have tried to reinstall the databases from FlyGarmin twice... Plug the new chip into the 750... fire it up... and it reinstalls the other databases, but gives me no option to UPDATE the above databases.

Anyone have this problem... ever?  Is there a way to delete all the databases and refresh?  I have the V6.11 software

A few screen shots would help. The Nav & chart databases are on a 28 day cycle and the Obstacles & Safetaxi are on a 56 day cycle. What you may be seeing is the mismatch between these cycles and trying to update a cycle that is already installed in the GPS. 

I had a similar problem on one occasion.  If you push and hold the nav frequency knob while powering up it forces the unit to update from the card.  In my case further updates were no problem.  Garmin guys said simply "This happens once in a while and forcing the update always fixes it."  It's worth a try, it fixed my problem.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, moosebreath said:

I had a similar problem on one occasion.  If you push and hold the nav frequency knob while powering up it forces the unit to update from the card.  In my case further updates were no problem.  Garmin guys said simply "This happens once in a while and forcing the update always fixes it."  It's worth a try, it fixed my problem.

Is that trick documented in the manual? I hate secret handshakes!

Not sure from reading the posts--you mentioned this was your first attempt at doing this. The GTN unit will not update until the effective date of the new databases. You can download the next cycle which begins July 21 onto your NavData card now, but the GTN will not update until July 21, at which point it will ask you if you want to update when you power up. This is true of the newer models/software versions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wistarmo said:

Not sure from reading the posts--you mentioned this was your first attempt at doing this. The GTN unit will not update until the effective date of the new databases. You can download the next cycle which begins July 21 onto your NavData card now, but the GTN will not update until July 21, at which point it will ask you if you want to update when you power up. This is true of the newer models/software versions. 

Correct statement. I inserted the new July 21 update into the unit yesterday but it did not update it. Yet.

• 3 weeks later...
On July 22, 2016 at 4:41 PM, mooneyflyer said:

OK.. to get the FliteCharts to update, your GTN750 has to see the GPS satellites.

And even after it does, it can take 15 minutes to update the FliteCharts.

Asked Garmin to document this...

phil

PS Thanks for all the posts here... very helpful

Any idea why that is (has to see GPS satellites to update). I've been having a slightly different problem and wondered if this might be related. The update is fine, but during start-up FliteCharts sometimes takes a long time doing the validation. Occasionally, it does fail validation, but I also get a "Charts unavailable" even if it passed validation...Could this have something to do with not seeing the satellites during start-up (boxed in by hangers etc)? This is for the Garmin Charts, not the Jepp ones.

I have a Garmin GPS watch / heart rate monitor.  It doesn't display heart rate until it sees satellites...

I got it for Xmas one year, took months of using it before I knew what and why it wasn't working....

I wanted to know my HR while jogging outside AND on a treadmill.

Sounds like a programming challenge for a device with a small computer.

Best regards,

-a-

As Wistarmo notes above, If you put in a data card with a new update(s) on it,  GTN 750 will load those updates BUT it will not UPDATE the current-use memory until the current file(s) expire.

You will see, on the day after the old sequence expires, on power up the GTN will automagically update. It’s behavior is different from the other Garmin units, like the 500/600 or the older 430’s, 530’s etc. You can go verify that the GTN has an update ready to go by touching SYSTEM>SYSTEM STATUS> and under DATABASE INFO, touch STANDBY - You should see your pending updates in that view if they were installed properly (note the pic below shows the screen I am referring to)

IMG_0058.PNG

Does this make sense?
DVA

Edited by DVA
Note: The screen shot is from GTN trainer

1) There are definitely begin and end dates on the data.

2) it takes some time to obtain the data and get it to the navigator.  So it is possible to try and load something that isn't current yet.

3) you wouldn't want to use it 100.00% until it is current, or after it is current.

4) The new navigators are physically able to have the old database and the new one physically loaded.

5) my old KLN requires deleting the old DB before having difficulty loading a new DB.  This is an old snafu...

Makes sense to me.  But I'm only a PP, not a CFII....

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 years later...

Sometimes when a database Update fails it can be corrupted formatting on your card. reformatting the card and reloading of all the databases on the card will fix it and allow you to update your GTN if this is the problem. Other times The clock in the GTN will lose time and all you need to do is let it find enough satellites to give you a 3D position (Which also means the clock is correct) then it will allow you to update as normal. Don't know why they lose time occasionally but it does happen.

On 8/9/2016 at 6:25 PM, gjw said:

Any idea why that is (has to see GPS satellites to update). I've been having a slightly different problem and wondered if this might be related. The update is fine, but during start-up FliteCharts sometimes takes a long time doing the validation. Occasionally, it does fail validation, but I also get a "Charts unavailable" even if it passed validation...Could this have something to do with not seeing the satellites during start-up (boxed in by hangers etc)? This is for the Garmin Charts, not the Jepp ones.

Garmin advised the unit pulls the date from satellite feed to determine what's old or new.   That being said, I always update in the hangar and I've never had a date problem.