1. Garmin GTN 650

2. Garmin GDL 39 3-D

3. Bendix King KT74

Installed

1. Avidyne IFD540

2. Avidyne AXP 322 Remote Transponder

3. Avidyne MLB 100 ADS-B In Receiver

Why It Was Done

The Garmin GTN 650 was a replacement for my Garmin GNS 430W and was installed about two years ago. From the onset, I had problems updating the unit with the Jeppesen nav data. The Garmin update worked fine. Over the years, I have not fully appreciated Garmin's proprietary mindset, preferring, instead, a more open-platform approach to avionics and software in general. I decided, therefore, when a smoking deal was offered on the Avidyne unit, to install the three units listed above. Since Avidyne units all talk to one another, it seemed reasonable to use their units exclusively.

With the introduction of iPads and various ancillary units working with them, I never liked all the wires snaking around the cockpit, and this installation offered the opportunity to have a very capable GPS, flight information system, ADS-B out, ADS-B in displayed on the main unit, and a general decluttering of the panel area.  The installation has done that.

Preparation

The Avidyne IFD 540 is considerably more than a large-screen GPS. It preforms myriad               functions other than navigation. Second-nature operation of the unit does not come overnight. Recognizing this, the company has compiled a complete operator's manual that explains all functions of the unit. It is downloadable. However, they have gone beyond that by producing a simulator app that operates at least on the iPad and PCs, and perhaps other operating systems. I have used it both on the iPad and the PC. During the time that I have been waiting for the airplane to be finished, I have spent many hours with both the manual and the simulator. The sim has operated flawlessly and greatly diminished what I'd think could be a fairly steep learning curve.

Ta Da!

The call finally came, and 414MS was ready to make her first flight with the new boxes.  Everything booted properly and settled into operating mode. Making initial changes to user-programmable items was accomplished easily and precisely as it had been done in the simulator. It is actually easier on the unit itself because there are real knobs and not flat, electronic simulations of them. After adjusting the settings to my liking, I entered a straight-forward flight plan: from the departure airport to a nearby VOR, then to an initial fix for a GPS approach at my home airport, the full approach, then landing. The flight plan was entered in less than 20 seconds, and the airplane flew the course perfectly.  When flying the approach, it is a new and pleasing experience to have each of the fix altitudes displayed on the unit.

Today is the second day I've had the unit and have done four more approaches, all without any problem. I did have a problem registering the IFD with Avidyne for some unknown reason; I called tech support yesterday afternoon and received an e-mail this morning indicating the issue had been resolved and the unit is registered.

Conclusion

This isn't meant to be a real-time description of this process, but I thought some of you                  might be interested in an opinion on and experience with a newer piece of avionics which is now available in the marketplace. Is it perfect? Probably not. Is it an excellent  tool for the cockpit? You bet. I think I made the right choice.

I'll update this from time to time as my experience grows.

In this day and age, I suppose it is important for a reader to know that I am not an employee of Avidyne, have not been compensated by them in any way, and have not been promised anything by them.

• Like 6

Welcome to the Avidyne club.  I have the same setup p minus the MLB I still use my portable ADS-B receiver and portable GPS.

I am eagerly awaiting the release of the 10.2 software which is supposed to give some syn-vision capabilities to the IFD540 if I read the literature correctly. 

Now comes the real decision is the IFD 550 worth the extra ($5,000 for current owners ) to get ARS capability?

• Like 1

Just now, 1964-M20E said:

Welcome to the Avidyne club.  I have the same setup p minus the MLB I still use my portable ADS-B receiver and portable GPS.

I am eagerly awaiting the release of the 10.2 software which is supposed to give some syn-vision capabilities to the IFD540 if I read the literature correctly. 

Now comes the real decision is the IFD 550 worth the extra ($5,000 for current owners ) to get ARS capability?

Every IFD gets some form of Synthetic Vision with 10.2. 

IFD440

IFD440_MAP_SVS__003_150.png

IFD540

IFD540_MAP_SVS_300.jpg

IFD550 gets the in-trail view and...

ifd550-front_150.jpg

• Like 1

I've had mine since March and I like it but I did go from a KLN94 which was functional.  The remote transponder APX322 is nice if you are limited on panel space and want the larger screen of the 540.  It is real easy to crate flight plans and modify them when ATC gives you route changes and it helps you select the waypoint or airport near you as you type.  Sought of like auto correct when texting but better.  What is nice is you can have a VOR tuned in and the 540 will tell you distance and what radial you are on.  Yes other NAV/COM radios do that as well but it is nice to have of course I now find myself tuning two VORs one on the 540 and the other on my old Narco as well as following the magenta line.