KXLL-KJFK M20M Bravo

DVA

This is a time compressed (16 min) flight from our local airport in Allentown PA to Kennedy in NY; the flight is normally about 50 minutes give or take. I know a lot of pilots who are very apprehensive about flying into big airports and Bravo airspace. I can tell you that you have no worries as long as you plan ahead well, study the airspace, procedures, taxi diagrams and have all that ready at liftoff. This was a fairly busy day for approach control so there is a lot of good ATC, we also had an interesting final approach vector.  We’re in a 1996 Mooney M20M Bravo. Most of the panel is identifiable, but you will see the Garmin AoA on the glare shield.  Hope you enjoy it as much as we had fun flying it!

• Like 4

On July 14, 2016 at 2:54 PM, DVA said:

This is a time compressed (16 min) flight from our local airport in Allentown PA to Kennedy in NY; the flight is normally about 50 minutes give or take. I know a lot of pilots who are very apprehensive about flying into big airports and Bravo airspace. I can tell you that you have no worries as long as you plan ahead well, study the airspace, procedures, taxi diagrams and have all that ready at liftoff. This was a fairly busy day for approach control so there is a lot of good ATC, we also had an interesting final approach vector.  We’re in a 1996 Mooney M20M Bravo. Most of the panel is identifiable, but you will see the Garmin AoA on the glare shield.  Hope you enjoy it as much as we had fun flying it!

Sweet. I fly over JFK very often and never thought I could land there. Did you call tower or anybody prior? Any other concerns besides navigation and ATC com?

Thanks. 

2 hours ago, MooneyBob said:

Did you call tower or anybody prior? Any other concerns besides navigation and ATC com?

Thanks. 

I filed even though the trip was VMC, first because it makes it much easier for ATC, and second because I normally always file as it keeps you sharp, it's safer, and we pay for those great controllers to help us. 

Plus, if they're busy, they will keep you out of the Bravo unless you're on an ifr flight plan. I think they turned away someone on the audio that you will hear. 

There are no concerns other than you have to be on the ball.

it's great fun 

• Like 2