Formation Training with the Caravan... What a thrill

mooneygirl

A Mooney Caravan Formation training was held on Saturday and Sunday in Chino California.  It was a chance to get myself and Dan Lubell [both newbies] trained for the mass arrival into OSH.  I have to say from start to finish I was very impressed with the professionalism, attention to detail, focus on safety and the nurturing learning environment provided.  Day one was intense for me as I had never really flown formation.  My CFII, Mike Jesch was right seat with me and Larry "Joker" Brennan was right seat for Dan.  Flight #1 I was lead.  Flight #2 I was wing.ici

It was a tad turbulent as we practiced around Lake Matthews, but with the amount of focus needed, I hardly noticed.  Flying lead was challenging, but far easier than flying wing later.  The formation take-offs with no flaps was interesting, but I didn't have problems with it.  I was very concerned with a 90 kt., no flap, formation landing.  Truth be told, I hadn't done a no-flap landing in a very long time, or no flap take-off for that matter.  The no-flap landing was a non-issue, other than the sight picture being different.  The no-flap landing in formation at 90 kts approach speed also turned out to be pretty easy.  It was a bit strange to be watching another airplane versus out the front window, but I did it. 

Second part of day-one was a four-ship formation with me being in #5 photo plane.  Our lead was Steve Blyth from B2OSH.

Day two was a three-ship element for me, with me being #3 [as we will be in the Caravan].  The briefing was very thorough and I had a B2Osh safety pilot [Steve] with me.  Day two just was really awesome. I think that I took the lessons from Day one and applied them to Day two. I was able to come in closer and feel more in control of the situation.  We flew for just under and hour then came back to base.  The de-brief was a time to own up to our shortcomings, hear about the things we did well, and learn from one another.

All in all, it was a stellar weekend and I am so very very happy that I was able to attend.  So to all those lovely people in my Mooney Family who kept saying "You've GOT to fly the Caravan!" I give a hearty... YOU ARE SO RIGHT.

Thank you to Larry and Mike for organizing, and to all who attended.  See you in OSH.

IMG_4134.jpg

IMG_4142.jpg

IMG_4151.jpg

IMG_4168.JPG

IMG_4226.JPG

IMG_4299.JPG

IMG_4351.jpg

IMG_4367.jpg

IMG_4381.JPG

IMG_2667.JPG

IMG_4410.JPG

Formation climb.JPG

Formation Turn.JPG

Formation enroute.JPG

Closing formation.JPG

City view formation.JPG

Wing three.JPG

Lake Matthews.JPG

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Ned Gravel said:

Actually Jolie, those flying the Caravan with you will see you in Madison.  Dinner at Pedro's anyone?

DUH Jolie! I think my brain was still on Caravan-overload when I wrote the post. See everyone in Madison!!  We will be there early on Saturday morning.

Jolie