Safety Wire Prop

Hi Russ, not on that model of installation. However new washers must be installed every time the prop is removed & reinstalled. They are not standard washers, they are manufactured by the prop co. 

-Matt

• Like 1

I had to go and look it up again to be sure what I said was correct.  Here is the statement from the Hartzell manual:

1. (7)  Torque the 1/2 inch propeller mounting studs (dry) in accordance with Table 3-1, Figure 3-1, and Figure 3-2.

2. (8)  If required by the aircraft maintenance manual, safety all mounting studs with 0.032 inch (0.81 mm) minimum diameter stainless steel wire or equivalent aircraft safety cable and associated hardware (two studs for each safety). Refer to Figure 3-6. 

Propellers installed on Lycoming engines are generally a stud assembled with a nut locked together with a roll pin and Loctite to form a bolt now trapped in the propeller.  

Propellers installed on TCM engines as in the picture above have studs secured in the hub, the studs pass through the crank flange and have locking nuts installed.  The studs may or may not be safety wired.

Clarence

Hmmm . . . My Hartzell prop is safety wired to my Lycoming engine. My new A&P two years ago didn't like the way the wiring was done, and redid it (something about the way they were connected between the bolts).

20 minutes ago, Hank said:

Hmmm . . . My Hartzell prop is safety wired to my Lycoming engine. My new A&P two years ago didn't like the way the wiring was done, and redid it (something about the way they were connected between the bolts).

We changed from .032 to .041 after Jerry Mantrey told me that what had been used by the shop that installed the prop after my MA prop strike was wrong. 

I do not intend to research whether that was unnecessary based upon Clarence's post. :wacko: 

9 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

I'd like to know how you get .041 on an M20J prop, because the .032 took 2 hours to do 6 nuts. 

It can be done in less time and painlessly if you put an apprentice on the job.  0.041" is the standard, but my MT manual allows 0.032"

Clarence

My Lycoming / Hartzell combo uses the stud, castellated nut, roll pin and 0.041" safety wire through the pin method which was a real PITA (for me anyway). After I was done I showed it to my IA buddy for his blessing, was told it was OK but it really could be a little tighter as he smiled and  walked away. Clarence is correct, it is effortless when the apprentice does it as long as your not the apprentice. And yes I cut it all off and re-did it to his liking.

5 hours ago, M20Doc said:

It can be done in less time and painlessly if you put an apprentice on the job.  0.041" is the standard, but my MT manual allows 0.032"

Clarence

Hartzell has not always allowed .032 to be used if I remember? (10years?)

Mac to Lyc-McCauley doesn't even list a diameter in their install manual.  Same 1/2 in stud/nut combo Hartzell uses. Since hartzell and MT both allowed .032 I wasn't going to try .041.

Thanks Clarence!

-Matt

I'd like to know how you get .041 on an M20J prop, because the .032 took 2 hours to do 6 nuts. 

Edited Sunday at 03:15 PM by jetdriven

Byron,

The first time I remounted my prop it took a loooong time as well.  Then an IA buddy came by and showed me how to torque the nuts,  mark their position with a sharpie, loosen the nut until I could more readily place the wire thru the holes, retitghten to the previous marks which he assured me would be the correct torque then put the twists in the wire as indicated.  This cut my last prop install time almost in half.  He had no suggestions for having to tighten the bolts a little at a time all the way around the hub over and over and over and over.  I would really like to meet some of those engineers and smack the crap out of them sometimes. 

I used the 0.041 wire also.  No fun.

Tim

Edited by helitim

Forceps the locking ones with the little bend at the end.  And needle nose pliers.   I got the "That would pass, but we don't want other shops to know we did it"   So clipped it all off and redid it.  It gets easier to feed the wire the second time.   Sometimes you have to start at the apprentice level and work your way up.

• Like 1

The 3/4" wrench in this set is worth it's weight in gold if you have to pull Hartzell props, the other's in the set are not as useful.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Snap-On-Speed-Combination-Wrench-Set-SRX707-5-16-3-4-/122040825937?hash=item1c6a333851:g:VPoAAOSwQupXUL3l&item=122040825937&vxp=mtr

7 minutes ago, jclemens said:

The 3/4" wrench in this set is worth it's weight in gold if you have to pull Hartzell props, the other's in the set are not as useful.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Snap-On-Speed-Combination-Wrench-Set-SRX707-5-16-3-4-/122040825937?hash=item1c6a333851:g:VPoAAOSwQupXUL3l&item=122040825937&vxp=mtr

That, and a good dictionary of cuss word combinations.