ADS-B Out GNS-480 question

I have a Garmin GNS-480, which I think is the best radio Garmin ever sold.  I really like the built-in transponder in the 480 (with the automatic Taxi / standby feature), and I am wondering if anyone else has come up with an ADS-B Out solution that is compatible with this radio and internal transponder use.

Based on what I see for the GTX-345 compatibility matrix, I think it may work with the GNS 480. You may need to drop your remote transponder but worthwhile seeing how it interfaces with your product. Also, if you have an MX 200 to go with that 480, it will interface with it.

GTX 345 Compatibility.jpg

On July 9, 2016 at 8:32 AM, Marauder said:

Based on what I see for the GTX-345 compatibility matrix, I think it may work with the GNS 480. You may need to drop your remote transponder but worthwhile seeing how it interfaces with your product. Also, if you have an MX 200 to go with that 480, it will interface with it.

GTX 345 Compatibility.jpg

I really think this is the best way to go... I have the GNS-480 / MX 20 and will be swapping out my Garmin 330 transponder with a Garmin 345.  I have done a good deal of research on this and though it is not the cheapest option it is the one that is the most "seamless" for my set up.  I am having the install done in September and will report back with a PIREP.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 7:42 AM, whiskytango said:

I have a Garmin GNS-480, which I think is the best radio Garmin ever sold. 

The reason might be that the GNS480 wasn't developed by Garmin. It is to bad that Apollo/UPSAT was destroyed by the Evil Empire. You might want to look at the NavWorx ADS600-B. From my research this is one of the easiest to install and cost effective solution if you have a Apollo SL70 or GTX327 transponder. 

NavWorx.JPG

5 hours ago, Jeev said:

I really think this is the best way to go... I have the GNS-480 / MX 20 and will be swapping out my Garmin 330 transponder with a Garmin 345.  I have done a good deal of research on this and though it is not the cheapest option it is the one that is the most "seamless" for my set up.  I am having the install done in September and will report back with a PIREP.

We've got a GNS-480 and Garmin 330 as well. Any reason why you didn't decide to get ES upgrade for your 330? I haven't done anything yet to look for pros/cons of that versus other options.

17 hours ago, AaronDC8402 said:

We've got a GNS-480 and Garmin 330 as well. Any reason why you didn't decide to get ES upgrade for your 330? I haven't done anything yet to look for pros/cons of that versus other options.

I was planning to go that route as it is definitely cheaper at around $1,800 including the upgrade and install but I really wanted a streamlined set up.  With the 330es you get ADSB Out but you still need a Stratus or similar receiver to display the in.  With the GTX-345 you get 1090 & 978 in/out plus a wifi / bluetooth link to your iPad ect.  I just didn't want another box sitting on the dash to charge.  The 330es upgrade is a good option though.  

• 3 years later...
8 minutes ago, Andrew J Hirsch said:

Old thread I know, but my partner and I have a GNS480 and MX20 in our aircraft.  I am wondering what ADS-B solution that you ultimately went with and if your happy/have an regrets with the equipment.  

thanks!

If you're going to keep the airplane, do it once and do it right. The Garmin GTX345 is a great solution for in/out plus it includes bluetooth and ahrs for ipads and portables.