West Houston (KIWS) Accident

KIWS hosted an aviation expo this afternoon.  Went out to see what I could see.  4 people walked past, looked like a father and his adult children.  Boarded what I think was a Cherokee.  It's a hot day in Houston - figure 95F and 60% humidity.

Still checking out the Piper M350 when the Cherokee departed to the south.  At lift off the baggage door in front of the windscreen opened.  Airborne in the first 1/3 of the runway.  Struggled in the air and at midfield began a turn back to the left.  A halting, slow turn, nose up attitude.  At the 180 point - now downwind - left wing still down, nose up.  The wings leveled.  Nose up the aircraft was descending.  Appearances were of a behind the power curve descent.  Estimating 100ft in altitude the aircraft appeared to stall, left 90 degree roll and went nose down into a field 1/4 miile east of the airport with a post crash fire.

Have witnessed two accidents.  The first had an outcome that with a little stretch could be call miraculous.  This one did not.  The sound of aluminum hitting the ground is distinctive and can do without hearing that again.

Doing what he probably loved to do.  Likely doing it with loved ones.  A series of unfortunate events.  Not to over state - I did not know these people - but this one left me a little rattled. Prayers, comfort and blessings to those they left behind.  

Sort of a therapy post.  Thanks for your patience.

• Like 1

Yes, it's tough to see them in person. I saw the Greg Connell crash at PDK Air Show earlier this year. It leaves an impression.

Although, Cherokees don't have a baggage door in front of the windscreen. They do have cowling doors to check the engine. Maybe that was what popped open.

Yes, it's tough to see them in person. I saw the Greg Connell crash at PDK Air Show earlier this year. It leaves an impression.

Although, Cherokees don't have a baggage door in front of the windscreen. They do have cowling doors to check the engine. Maybe that was what popped open.

Unless a Cherokee 6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff H., I was there about an hour after it happened.  Richard Simile at Mooney witnessed it like you and speculated the quick turn downwind at low altitude my have caused some of the issue.  The winds were strong blowing downwind.

Russ

It was indeed hot and sticky here yesterday afternoon. I considered buzzing up to West Houston under the Bravo at 2,000'. OAT was 37C. Instead I topped the cumulus at 6,500' and enjoyed a smooth cool flight down the coast to KPSX. A Coast Guard King Air and I each completed a practice approach (sort of). I was lazy and stayed at 6,500’ tracking the lateral guidance only. The King Air did the full approach, but they had air conditioning.

Glad I skipped the low flight to KIWS. I wouldn't have wanted to see the crash. RIP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't drop the airplane picking up your pencil.  Any Cherokee will fly with any door open.  Heck, Van's drivers have lost whole canopies and made it back OK.

I'll bet he was keeping the power low to keep the door from departing the airframe. Dumb to endanger the flight to try and preserve the aircraft. I actually have a recent and very relevant experience.  Took off without securing the luggage door.  Realized midflight.  Just kept flying.  I figured to descend and close it would take time, and I was almost to where I would descend to get to my destination.  Flew as normal and did a normal landing.  Wound up with a paint scratch and lots and lots of well-deserved guff from the local pilots.

i can't imagine any open door endangering a Mooney uairframe.  Fly the airplane.

• Like 1

Just now, steingar said:

I'll bet he was keeping the power low to keep the door from departing the airframe.

Very sensible working hypothesis at least for the moment, and a good takeaway from a tragedy.

• Like 1

A Citation went in next to Van Nuys a few years ago after a nose baggage door opened. It was suspected the owner/pilot reduced power and speed to prevent the door from departing. It also could have damaged the engine on that side.

A Citation will climb fine on one engine with the door open. While avoiding damage is understandable, a far worse outcome - two deaths - accompanied the total loss after the resultant stall/spin.

Let's make these decisions on the ground! The insurance company may have just bought your airplane, but no one can restore your life, or those of your loved ones.

16 hours ago, steingar said:

Don't drop the airplane picking up your pencil.  Any Cherokee will fly with any door open.  Heck, Van's drivers have lost whole canopies and made it back OK.

I'll bet he was keeping the power low to keep the door from departing the airframe. Dumb to endanger the flight to try and preserve the aircraft. I actually have a recent and very relevant experience.  Took off without securing the luggage door.  Realized midflight.  Just kept flying.  I figured to descend and close it would take time, and I was almost to where I would descend to get to my destination.  Flew as normal and did a normal landing.  Wound up with a paint scratch and lots and lots of well-deserved guff from the local pilots.

i can't imagine any open door endangering a Mooney uairframe.  Fly the airplane.

I can speak to the RV canopy, the plane flies OK, a little squirrelly at slow speed.  But it is tough on the eyes.

Clarence