Transitioning from an E model to a J

nels

9 hours ago, Brandontwalker said:

I did my Mooney transition training in a E. Flew cross country via Southwest and brought my J home solo. The flight characteristics of these planes are the same. Know the V speeds, emergency procedures, radios and autopilot in your new bird. Study their operation manuals. Aside from that, you just need to assure you are not blinded by the ear-to-ear grin the new J puts on your face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The manuals are on the way via the mail system. They should be here early next week. I will be giving them a hard look...it will be fun. Yes, I can't wait to try out the J model. Hopefully I'll be smiling every minute of the flight back!

I transitioned from my 63C to my 84K with 13 yrs of not flying. Got 10 hrs in a 172 and 5 hrs with a great CFII learning the 231.  My biggest problem was not getting it slow enough for landing.  But that eventually worked itself out.  Love the extra room in the longer body.

Pritch

• 2 weeks later...

I transitioned from a E to a J after a short ride with another pilot in the J and 10 hours in the E. The airplanes fly the same, don't worry about that. Spend an hour in the cockpit of the J mentally running through every move from start up to shut down. Find all the switches, levers etc., go over it several times in your mind. Mentally fly the mission. It's what the Blue Angels do before every flight. Then, go fly the plane. You will be fine.

Jack

• Like 1