A fair sized smidgin of bad luck

steingar

This is getting frustrating.  Scrubbed a flight last weekend because the aircraft failed a mag check.  Managed to use lots of power and lean mixture to chase that out Tuesday night.  Getting ready for a nice trip for the fourth of July weekend and I find a flat tire (right main).  Can't just inflate it, its leaking badly out the valve stem.

So its just a flat.  I should be able to get the field mechanic to put on a new tire, right?  Field mechanic says he hasn't the correct jack pads for a Mooney.  So far I'm on my own.

Now I get to ask questions.  What the devil is he talking about?  I see this at Aircraft Spruce, is that what he's on about?  Can't raise him on the phone (another issue) soI get to ask you guys.  If so it doesn't seem like a huge deal.

Last time I had to jack up an airplane the mechanic had jacks and we just did it, so I'm a little in the dark on this one.  Of course, I'd rather just buy jack stands and do this myself but the things are bloody expensive!

• Like 1

Just now, steingar said:

This is getting frustrating.  Scrubbed a flight last weekend because the aircraft failed a mag check.  Managed to use lots of power and lean mixture to chase that out Tuesday night.  Getting ready for a nice trip for the fourth of July weekend and I find a flat tire.  Can't just inflate it, its leaking badly out the valve stem.

So its just a flat.  I should be able to get the field mechanic to put on a new tire, right?  Field mechanic says he hasn't the correct jack pads for a Mooney.  So far I'm on my own.

Now I get to ask questions.  What the devil is he talking about?  I see this at Aircraft Spruce, is that what he's on about?  Can't raise him on the phone (another issue) soI get to ask you guys.  If so it doesn't seem like a huge deal.

Last time I had to jack up an airplane the mechanic had jacks and we just did it, so I'm a little in the dark on this one.  Of course, I'd rather just buy jack stands and do this myself but the things are bloody expensive!

I had a flat on the runway at an airport away from home. After scooping up the plane and moving it off the runway, we need to pull the nose wheel off. Myself and one other average sized guy were able to raise the nose gear just by pushing down on the elevator until the tail skid touched. It was easy to hold it there while another mechanic swapped the wheel for a spare. We then set it gently back down. After changing the tube in my flat and properly inflating it, we again pushed down on the tail to raise the nose. The other mechanic swapped the wheels again, we set it back down. Quick, easy, and no jack needed.

This worked well with my C. I'm not sure how it would work with a mid or long body.

• Like 1

Mains are easy. Take out the tie down ring and replace it with an appropriately sized bolt (use 6 or so flat washers for spacing). The threads for mine are 5/16"-18.  Jack the wing up using a standard bottle jack placed under the bolt. You will need to put the jack on some cinder blocks (or a stable alternative) so it will lift high enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Brandontwalker
  • Like 3

Mains are easy. Take out the tie down ring and replace it with an appropriately sized bolt (use 6 or so flat washers for spacing). The threads for mine are 5/16"-18.  Jack the wing up using a standard bottle jack placed under the bolt. You will need to put the jack on some cinder blocks (or a stable alternative) so it will lift high enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful it doesn't slip off....

• Like 1

Maybe. I don't mind changing tires, though I'm not terribly mechanically inclined any don't know if I would trust my or my airplane's well being to something I cobbled together.  Another question for you guys.  Do Mooney tires have tubes?

Maybe. I don't mind changing tires, though I'm not terribly mechanically inclined any don't know if I would trust my or my airplane's well being to something I cobbled together.  Another question for you guys.  Do Mooney tires have tubes?

Mooney tires have tubes. If you need to replace it, make sure to use a good quality tube like Michelin's Airstop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Another in a long line of questions.  I've seen over an dover again "Mooney jack points" and that LASAR sells some sort of farkle that you can use to replace the tail tie-down.  If I don't have those, what is my jack point?  Do I remove the tie-down to do it?

I think I like the idea of just lifting the wing and sticking a sawhorse underneath it.  Seems easy enough.

1 hour ago, steingar said:

This is getting frustrating.  Scrubbed a flight last weekend because the aircraft failed a mag check.  Managed to use lots of power and lean mixture to chase that out Tuesday night.  Getting ready for a nice trip for the fourth of July weekend and I find a flat tire (right main).  Can't just inflate it, its leaking badly out the valve stem.

Yeah, that pointed jack point is what he's talking about but a bolt will accomplish the same thing. He might need a few washers depending upon shape of the cup on the top of his jack. 

If he has a short enough jack for a Mooney and the correct tube he should be able to change the tire for you.    

• Like 1

Since I don't like balancing on a point, I made some jack points with a cup... and associated tie downs.  Also the tie down rings were stripped so someone had a nut on the back side, so you have to open the inspection port to put the nut on. Probably costs me a couple knots in cruise, but the polished spinner makes up for that.

20150130_115737.jpg

• Like 1

If it's really leaking out the valve stem you can probably change the valve in the stem and air it up. Valves are pretty standard and can be had at any tire shop for something close to free. The tool is simple and can be had at the same tire shop or any bicycle shop.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, steingar said:

Can't just inflate it, its leaking badly out the valve stem.

Is it leaking where the valve stem meets the wheel? Or out of the center of the valve stem (where you fill it)? If it's the center, you just need a new valve or to tighten the valve. No need to remove the tire for that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steingar said:

His jack may be broken or unavailable if you're only throwing him the crumbs,  I know mine would be.  

In any event the rest are making this more complex than it needs to be.  Your car likely has a simple scissor jack in the trunk.  You have to remove the brake calliper to remove the wheel, once the caliber is out of the way there is enough of the axle and gear leg to slip the jack under.  Now you only have to raise to wheel enough to remove it.  Place a suitable block of wood under the now exposed axle as a safety device.

Clarence

24 minutes ago, AaronDC8402 said:

Is it leaking where the valve stem meets the wheel? Or out of the center of the valve stem (where you fill it)? If it's the center, you just need a new valve or to tighten the valve. No need to remove the tire for that.

I don't think it's leaking out the valve. The leak appears to be coming from where the stem hits the tube.  Of course, if it's just a bad tube do I really need a tire?

If it's a bad tube, and the tire has good thread left, just replace the tube (use lots of baby powder on it). A new Michelin Air Stop tube will rarely require adding air, except when summer first heats up and again when it cools off. It will cost about the same as a tire . . . But I love mine! Whenever I replace a tire, I out in a new Air Stop tube (since 6/07, that's two nose tires and one pair of mains; my logbook shows 671.5 hours in my Mooney).

Edited by Hank
  • Like 2

In a pinch you can use the tie down rings as jack pads, just be careful not to wiggle the plane much it could slip off the jacks and ruin your day.

You should get a set for yourself, you can find them on eBay for cheap.

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Like 1

Summary of what I see here.,,

1) air leaks out of tires all the time.

2) could be the valve.

3) could be the valve stem.  Where the stem attaches to the tube is a known weak spot for one manufacturer.

4) the Michelin Air stop is the go to tube.

5) installing a tube properly, with the right powder is important.

6) jacking up a plane can be easy, when you know what you are doing.

7) when a tube leaks, it usually has nothing to do with the health of the tire.

8) LASAR has nice parts.  Sherry at LASAR is pleasant to speak with.  Some things fall off the web site.  Sherry can help you with that.

9) the valve is a 50 cent part that is going to cost a lot more than 50 cents to fix.

10) Getting it done correctly with the right tube will solve this challenge for years to come.

I have never removed a tire off an airplane myself.  I am only a PP. I have cleaned all of their parts during an annual...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1