3 Bladed prop vs 2

Jake

I'm considering replacing my 2 bladed prop with the 3 bladed.

I've been told that my climb performance will improve.

What about top speed.

Its also been stated that runway takeoff roll will be shortened.

I'm looking for others that can give their experience or knowledge on this subject

That's what I've also heard. The general feeling is that take off and climb performance improves a little, but apparently, you loose a couple of knots in the cruise. Some also complain that the three blader cuts into the usefull load as it's heavier than the two blader and probably a bit more expensive to maintain as well. Most agree that the three blader is quieter though.

Quote: JimR

I can understand why the three bladers would be quieter if the blades were shorter than the OEM two bladers, but that isn't the case for any of the three blade Mooney retrofit options except for the MT, I believe.  With identical blade lengths and rpm, why would the three bladers be any quieter than the two bladers?  

I'm not challenging Capt's (and many others') assertion, as I have no experience with three blade props on Mooneys.  I just want to understand why that would be the case. 

Jim

I talked to the CEO of MT here in Germany about the 3 blade prop for my J-model. He told me to expect better climb performance than the McCauley, and no speed loss because of the new scimitar design. But then he said it will only make (economical) sense if I need a new prop anyway. So as long as the McCauley is within limits, keep it.

I agree with Job on the aplication of multiple blad props. Another thing to keep in mind although remote but possible blade separation is more likely on a three blade than on a two blade. Also handling on the ground with the towbar is easier on a two blade prop. Overhaul cost is about 50% more on three blade. The only time is worth to have three blade is when power is increased beyond 270hp.

José