Who's coming to Oshkosh?

JKSmith

34 minutes ago, Hector said:

Make it $150. I'm in for $50 too. (I'm fine with Blue Moon or whatever). Yves.....I'm assuming you are making the arrangements for the keg?

I am trying Hector. I sent an email but guess the top Caravan folks are busy with other stuff. Give me another 48 hours, if I don't get it we'll revert to bottled stuff.

Yves

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jetdriven said:

If there's strippers in the VIP room I'm gonna make it rain 

image.jpeg

Byron is working on losing his kitchen pass to go to air shows without me... Especially since the first year we went to Oshkosh:

Me:  Let's go to Oshkosh I always wanted to fly there (had been there by road a few times)

Him: AWWWW, do we have to?  I've been to airshows before they are all the same and boring.

Me: This is different we'll even camp

Him: AWWWW do we have to?  Where we shower?  Won't it get hot/cold?

And now, this... I created a monster.

On 7/11/2016 at 9:52 PM, JKSmith said:

I'm slowly getting prepared. Is there anything I need to do before Oshkosh like pre buy tickets, pre register for anything, or bring special items? What do you guys normally bring along? 

image.jpeg

You may want to consider bringing folding chairs, a backpack, good walking shoes, some consumables (water/soda).

You will definitely want a flashlight to go to and from restrooms.  A towel.   We like to hang a lantern from the plane in addition to a flashlight.

You look amazingly electronic free (who uses paper charts anymore?) but if you rely on electronics if you have a backup battery / USB charger / solar charger, bring that, outlets can be in short supply even though all the campsites do have recharging stations.

For the camping, I am all about minimalism when backpacking.  But for oshkosh, I'd get a pad for under your sleeping bag, preferably an air mattress, but at least a foam pad and a pillow.  Also make sure your tent has a good footprint, you can substitute a blue tarp.  Oshkosh can get wet. 

While we're talking about the weather, mosquito spray and sunscreen, maybe a hat.

For the airplane, there's been reports of after a big rain planes getting stuck in the mud.  People make wooden or metal "footprints" to slide under their tires in the parking spots so they more easily slide over the grass after a few days of sticking in the mud.

If you are like us and you're going to be putting probably 20 hrs on the plane during the summer adventures before coming home, a few extra quarts of oil should probably come along.  We also bring a basic tool kit. 

You will need a printed out sign on 8.5x11 white paper in big letters for the airplane window from taxiing identifying what camping site you are going to (e.g. GAC for the N40; VAC for the Vintage camping).

Edited by Becca

Yves, I'm emailing you Whitey's contact if you don't have it. He's the BBQ master and would know the logistics of a keg.

EAA strictly governs the North40, the vendors on the grounds, and there is some info that's not apparent that can be a gotcha. No sales, and selling stuff risks eviction, for example. They want things hawked only at a booth they can charge rent for.

Someone asked about getting into the North40. There's no admission or secure gate, there are openings in the airport fence by Friar Tuck, the show grounds and along the access road paralleling 9/27. So look for the Caravan tent, Mooney North40 HQ, and say hi!

As far as "Caravan brass" being busy...planning and executing each year, with the busy educational, food, social, and mission schedules, involves a lot of work by many people. That work intensifies in the weeks before OSH. It only LOOKS seamless.

Don't know about "brass," but we've got the house, now throw the party!

I look forward to meeting everyone who hasn't joined our gathering in person before.

Joker

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, N9201A said:

Yves, I'm emailing you Whitey's contact if you don't have it. He's the BBQ master and would know the logistics of a keg.

EAA strictly governs the North40, the vendors on the grounds, and there is some info that's not apparent that can be a gotcha. No sales, and selling stuff risks eviction, for example. They want things hawked only at a booth they can charge rent for.

Someone asked about getting into the North40. There's no admission or secure gate, there are openings in the airport fence by Friar Tuck, the show grounds and along the access road paralleling 9/27. So look for the Caravan tent, Mooney North40 HQ, and say hi!

As far as "Caravan brass" being busy...planning and executing each year, with the busy educational, food, social, and mission schedules, involves a lot of work by many people. That work intensifies in the weeks before OSH. It only LOOKS seamless.

Don't know about "brass," but we've got the house, now throw the party!

I look forward to meeting everyone who hasn't joined our gathering in person before.

Joker

Thanks Larry, I am getting in touch with Whitey today. Got his phone number last night late.

Yves

9 hours ago, Becca said:

You may want to consider bringing folding chairs, a backpack, good walking shoes, some consumables (water/soda).

You will definitely want a flashlight to go to and from restrooms.  A towel.   We like to hang a lantern from the plane in addition to a flashlight.

You look amazingly electronic free (who uses paper charts anymore?) but if you rely on electronics if you have a backup battery / USB charger / solar charger, bring that, outlets can be in short supply even though all the campsites do have recharging stations.

For the camping, I am all about minimalism when backpacking.  But for oshkosh, I'd get a pad for under your sleeping bag, preferably an air mattress, but at least a foam pad and a pillow.  Also make sure your tent has a good footprint, you can substitute a blue tarp.  Oshkosh can get wet. 

While we're talking about the weather, mosquito spray and sunscreen, maybe a hat.

For the airplane, there's been reports of after a big rain planes getting stuck in the mud.  People make wooden or metal "footprints" to slide under their tires in the parking spots so they more easily slide over the grass after a few days of sticking in the mud.

If you are like us and you're going to be putting probably 20 hrs on the plane during the summer adventures before coming home, a few extra quarts of oil should probably come along.  We also bring a basic tool kit. 

You will need a printed out sign on 8.5x11 white paper in big letters for the airplane window from taxiing identifying what camping site you are going to (e.g. GAC for the N40; VAC for the Vintage camping).

I'm pretty low tech compared to a lot of people, I have the GPS and stratus but I like to have some redundancy. Thankyou for the advice on bringing other goods. And you mentioned putting 20 hours on the plane, is that just the trip to and from OSH or do you all fly during the show? 

From Houston it's only a 13 hour round-trip (well, maybe 12 in Becca & Byron's speedster). I think their air races and other plans will add a few hours. I don't think many people would attempt to fly locally during the event.

8 minutes ago, cnoe said:

From Houston it's only a 13 hour round-trip (well, maybe 12 in Becca & Byron's speedster). I think their air races and other plans will add a few hours. I don't think many people would attempt to fly locally during the air-show.

The airport is actually NOTAM closed during the airshows... check the NOTAM for hours.

Yves

I am parking the plane, not camping, and I am still trying to decide whether there's any reason to park in the GA North 40 area.

My '66E is eligible for the Vintage Parking area which seem to be closer to the exhibition facilities. We're coming in Sunday in the Caravan and expect to leave Thursday or Friday. 

Pros and cons? Advice? Anyone in the same situation? 

1 hour ago, JKSmith said:

I'm pretty low tech compared to a lot of people, I have the GPS and stratus but I like to have some redundancy. Thankyou for the advice on bringing other goods. And you mentioned putting 20 hours on the plane, is that just the trip to and from OSH or do you all fly during the show? 

So this year's Oshkosh extravaganza will be Byron flying from Houston to Mitchell, SD.  Doing the air race to Oshkosh.  Then flying to meet me in Ontario.  Then me flying home from Ontario to Houston.

Actual Houston-Oshkosh time is about 7'ish hours though.  Still enough that having a quart or two of oil around is worth it.

3 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

I am parking the plane, not camping, and I am still trying to decide whether there's any reason to park in the GA North 40 area.

My '66E is eligible for the Vintage Parking area which seem to be closer to the exhibition facilities. We're coming in Sunday in the Caravan and expect to leave Thursday or Friday. 

Pros and cons? Advice? Anyone in the same situation? 

Especially if not camping, I'd park in Vintage.  Its more central to the show, and you can hang with your plane while watching the air show.   I also think its closer to the entrance/exits when you come and go from your other accommodation.  Frankly if our Mooney qualified as Vintage we'd be considering parking there.  Downside is you will have more lookie-loo foot traffic visiting your plane.  The only downside to Vintage is the closest to the runway parking spots get closed during the Snowbirds because they have a pretty large "box"

• Like 1

Just now, Becca said:

Especially if not camping, I'd park in Vintage.  Its more central to the show, and you can hang with your plane while watching the air show.   I also think its closer to the entrance/exits when you come and go from your other accommodation.  Frankly if our Mooney qualified as Vintage we'd be considering parking there.  Downside is you will have more lookie-loo foot traffic visiting your plane.  The only downside to Vintage is the closest to the runway parking spots get closed during the Snowbirds because they have a pretty large "box"

Thanks Becca, those are the considerations I need to weigh. Sounds like we could stow chairs, maybe a cooler, in the plane for use during shows. 

1 hour ago, Bob_Belville said:

Thanks Becca, those are the considerations I need to weigh. Sounds like we could stow chairs, maybe a cooler, in the plane for use during shows. 

Also, if you are going to the N40 for any of the evening events with the Mooney caravan it is a LONG trek from Vintage, so that's a downside...

37 minutes ago, Becca said:

Also, if you are going to the N40 for any of the evening events with the Mooney caravan it is a LONG trek from Vintage, so that's a downside...

But we're only parking the plane in VAP so likely to be going to Caravan tent from somewhere else, right? Looks like the Red Tram connects to the N40 Bus?

39 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

But we're only parking the plane in VAP so likely to be going to Caravan tent from somewhere else, right? Looks like the Red Tram connects to the N40 Bus?

The Caravan tent is in the north 40.  VAP is basically on the opposite side of the airshow from the N40.  The trams and buses get pretty full, people do end up walking, its quite a haul.  Its cool to do it once (we walk from N40 to Vintage to look at planes all the time).  If you are going to be spending every night hanging in the N40, you might want to just be parked there.  The question really is where will you spend your days.

• Like 1

List of Mooneyspacers that pledged to attend the get together in Oshkosh at the Mooney Caravan tent on Monday at 6 PM

Jastu23 + 2
Bob Belville + 1
Sabremech
JKSmith
gsxrpilot
Steingar
Hector
201er + 1
yvesg + 1
M20Doc
wishboneash
larryb
jetdriven + 1
Stinkbug +1
cnoe (tentative)
Bob + 1
SoMooney
Guitarmaster
FlyingSchmidth
Ned Gravel + 1
N131MA
druidjaidan + 1.5
tbrickey
drapo (tentative)
Dkmiata + 1

6 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

If you're not camping with the plane, one benefit to parking with the Caravan in the N40 is all your friends being around to look after your plane while you're comfortable in your hotel room.

• Like 1

If you're not camping with the plane, one benefit to parking with the Caravan in the N40 is all your friends being around to look after your plane while you're comfortable in your hotel room.

... or swap parts with you as needed. Clarence, you're bringing the tools, right?

• Like 2

Hi Bob,

Keep in mind the N40 is a campground, not parking. So you can't just "park" in the N40. You'll need a camping permit and the EAA Police will look to see a tent with their permit on it. Of course some do also "park" an empty tent. But if you're a Caravaner, your plane doesn't need to be with us to hang with us, we've got folks who hotel, house or dorm it.

Having been in your shoes to me the bigger issue is where I am actually staying, and how am I getting to the airport every day? You can also park (if they've got space) at an FBO. Or, move your plane after the Caravan debrief to Appleton or another airport that doesn't have departure restrictions and so much traffic.

Look forward to meeting you at MSN. Joker

There is a roving A&P service, actually. I've not had to use it but I recall a friend who needed a starter swapped out and it was done on the N40.

I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to park 2652W. Looks like I'll be in Vintage Parking like Bob as I'll have a camper in Warbird Camping. I would rather not pay $27 a night and have an empty tent to be in North 40 Camping. Any thoughts or is my best option Vintage Parking?

Thanks, 

David

• Like 1