Flightaware not tracking

My flights used to show up on flightaware almost always but have not in the last 6 months.  I always get flight following.  Did something change?  Is there a way to register the plane so it will show up?

Thanks 

Just now, gsengle said:

Yeah I've noticed that. I even had an IFR clearance recently not get picked up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I often suggest to friends and relatives that they track me when I come to visit, especially if they are coming to pick me up at the airport. When I do I specifically let them know not to worry if it looks like I disappeared during the flight; that tracking failures are common and don't mean anyhting (not to mention cancelling IFR, but that's too esoteric)

Something did change.  But, if you go to the web version of Flightaware, login and go to settings, you'll see:  #6 Position only flights.  There are two radio buttons.  Choose "Show position-only flights" and your flights should then show up.  I tested with recent flights and ones that previously didn't show up where there.  Of course the mobile version still won't show them, though.

Regards,
Lance

• Like 5

* Show position-only flights * Do not show position-only flights

When this option is activated, you can see additional flights for which FlightAware does not have a filed flight plan. 
Tracking data for position-only flights is incomplete and potentially inaccurate.

The above taken right from the #6 settings.  Not certain myself, but found the same inquiry about FlightAware on other sites.

1 hour ago, FlyDave said:

I have found that if I file and IFR flight plan, and go either vfr or ift the flight data is available on flightaware.com. I think filing triggers something in the system to record the flight data.

Yes...file an IFR flight plan then get VFR flight following....you will show up on FlightAware every time...

4 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

Yes...file an IFR flight plan then get VFR flight following....you will show up on FlightAware every time...

Mostly this does not work with with ATL approach.  Even when I specically tell them I have an IFR on file, 90% of the time when I just go with flight following, there's  no Flightaware info.  I have not tried changing option 6 to see if the track info is there.

Thanks for the suggestion to change the setting. Now I'm seeing most of the VFR flights. 

When I look at position only flights, I see a message, "This flight is restricted from public view". Any of you seeing that as well? Any suggestions on how to fix it. I can't seem to find anything in the settings.

On 6/28/2016 at 1:46 PM, Lance Keve said:

Something did change.  But, if you go to the web version of Flightaware, login and go to settings, you'll see:  #6 Position only flights.  There are two radio buttons.  Choose "Show position-only flights" and your flights should then show up.  I tested with recent flights and ones that previously didn't show up where there.  Of course the mobile version still won't show them, though.

Regards,
Lance

I'll be a SOB, it worked. Now all of my past VFR flights are showing up. I was under the impression over the past year that the FAA simply didn't feed flight following flights into the network.

Thanks for the tip.

• Like 2

All of mine used to show up without logging in. Now I need to register, create & remember another under name / password combination just to see my flight? Can others see them without logging in?That's half the functionality for me, let whoever I'm going to see watch me and figure out when to go meet me.

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1