Beta Testers needed for new iPad GA app

13 hours ago, Brandontwalker said:

I use a cheap Bluetooth receiver to stream music from my iPad to my audio panel. Added bonus is that I hear notifications from foreflight and fuel selector (tank timer app) through my headsets.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MJMV0GU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467083472&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=bluetooth+receiver&dpPl=1&dpID=41vLLjBb8DL&ref=plSrch

Exactly how does this work? What does the Bluetooth receiver attach to? Does it require hardwiring to the audio panel? Do you have to program the IPad to make audio output?

Please bear in mind these questions are coming from someone whose knowledge of Bluetooth (and most other high-tech stuff) is virtually non existent.

1 minute ago, DonMuncy said:

Exactly how does this work? What does the Bluetooth receiver attach to? Does it require hardwiring to the audio panel? Do you have to program the IPad to make audio output?

Please bear in mind these questions are coming from someone whose knowledge of Bluetooth (and most other high-tech stuff) is virtually non existent.

Don,

Bluetooth is a wireless technology embedded into most (if not all) mobile and desktop devices (iPhone, iPad, Android, Mac, etc.) nowadays.  Third party manufactures of aviation headsets or intercoms can choose whether they want to support bluetooth connectivity in their products (usually at a premium cost).  This allows the headset to then be connected to the mobile device (iPad in this case) without any cords.  The setup for this is pretty straightforward and covered in the third party manufacturers documentation.

Hope that helps answer your question.

I sent this to you by email, @compilotrc but figured I'd post this in case it affects anyone else.

My iPad is WiFi-only which means no internal GPS. That means, for the app to work you will need an external GPS. For those using an EFB app with an external GPS, that's not a problem.

But here is the problem: If you are a ForeFlight/Stratus user you might not be able to test or use this app. The incompatibility of the Stratus ADS-B feed with anything except ForeFlight is pretty well-known. But less well-known is that Stratus location service/GPS feed is also incompatible with any app except ForeFlight.

I'll probably do a few flights using either a stand-along external GPS (I have one) or my $115 Stratux box.

Just now, midlifeflyer said:

I sent this to you by email, @compilotrc but figured I'd post this in case it affects anyone else.

My iPad is WiFi-only which means no internal GPS. That means, for the app to work you will need an external GPS. For those using an EFB app with an external GPS, that's not a problem.

But here is the problem: If you are a ForeFlight/Stratus user you might not be able to test or use this app. The incompatibility of the Stratus ADS-B feed with anything except ForeFlight is pretty well-known. But less well-known is that Stratus location service/GPS feed is also incompatible with any app except ForeFlight.

I'll probably do a few flights using either a stand-along external GPS (I have one) or my $115 Stratux box.

Got it Mark, thanks.  I edited the OP to include iPad hardware requirements.

13 hours ago, Brandontwalker said: I use a cheap Bluetooth receiver to stream music from my iPad to my audio panel. Added bonus is that I hear notifications from foreflight and fuel selector (tank timer app) through my headsets.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MJMV0GU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467083472&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=bluetooth+receiver&dpPl=1&dpID=41vLLjBb8DL&ref=plSrch

Don,

The receiver plugs into the music input for your audio panel. Sync your phone/tablet to it and you can play music and hear notifications wirelessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Brandontwalker said:

Don,

The receiver plugs into the music input for your audio panel. Sync your phone/tablet to it and you can play music and hear notifications wirelessly.

I'm not sure my audio panel has a (readily accessible) plug-in for music. Do most of them? Maybe I just don't know where or how.

1 hour ago, compilotrc said:

Don,

Bluetooth is a wireless technology embedded into most (if not all) mobile and desktop devices (iPhone, iPad, Android, Mac, etc.) nowadays.  Third party manufactures of aviation headsets or intercoms can choose whether they want to support bluetooth connectivity in their products (usually at a premium cost).  This allows the headset to then be connected to the mobile device (iPad in this case) without any cords.  The setup for this is pretty straightforward and covered in the third party manufacturers documentation.

Hope that helps answer your question.

Why they called Bluetooth instead of something like Blue connection. When I first heard about bugs in computers I first thought about "cucarachas" roaches in computers. Computers "mouse'?. Why not call it pointer instead or "ratas" rats .When I first hear Bluetooth I first thought it was something you put in your mouth to talk to your computer. When talking to a Spanish audience these English terms sound silly and funny.

José 

55 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

I'm not sure my audio panel has a (readily accessible) plug-in for music. Do most of them? Maybe I just don't know where or how.

No they don't all have an audio input. If it has one it would look like the usual small round receptical just like the earphone jack on a brand new iPad or a 1950's transistor radio. 

See the little hole in the middle of this one?

gma340Hi.jpg

That size input in my panel is the data link to the JPI...

Adding a BT 'dongle' can probably be plugged into an available mic receptical...(?)

Some additional challenges of knowing if the device is plugged in and operational, or not.

My wifi connections are similar, turn them on at both ends and make sure they are working.  If you skip this step, you may not notice the warning....

The older I get, the more challenging it becomes.

The name Blue Tooth makes no sense in any language.  The grandchildren were impressed that their grandfather had a blue tooth... Then he pointed at some discolored tooth...:)

Best regards,

-a-

I used the app this morning on a flight from Austin to McKinney, about 200 NM. The flight was VFR but involved both a transition of Class C and Class B airspace. I can tell you the app worked great and the alert was useful. I did not have it connected to audio, so I didn't hear the alert. But I have the iPad Mini mounted on the yoke with ForeFlight running. The alert notification easily got my attention.  

I have a Wifi+GSM/LTE iPad but was connected to my Stratus 2 during the flight. The app worked well as advertised. I look forward to using it further over the next couple of weeks.

Just now, carusoam said:

That size input in my panel is the data link to the JPI...

Adding a BT 'dongle' can probably be plugged into an available mic receptical...(?)

Some additional challenges of knowing if the device is plugged in and operational, or not.

My wifi connections are similar, turn them on at both ends and make sure they are workin

I think you are saying that a Blue tooth dongle could be plugged into one of the mic jacks in the plane and the Blue Tooth receiver plugged into that, and it would take the wireless audio from my IPad and send it through the intercom or through the audio panel and picked up in all of the headsets in the system. All of the dongles I saw on a quick google were USB. It looks like the blue tooth receiver has the same type plug as the mic plug on the headset. Would it plug directly into the mic jack?

I could probably talk myself into $15 or $20 to get the audio on the altitude app, but probably not worth it for a lot of work or expense.

Remember, you are dealing with a technological idiot here.

Don,

The dongles I have seen were the 1/8" size.   I Did not find an aviation size one.  Adapters for the size difference are readily available.

I have no experience with this.  There has always been a sterile cockpit for as long as I have been flying.  The other three people have their own music choices...

My next step is acquire an audio panel with BT in it.  Cell phone clearances on the ground would be the best with my headset on!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Marcopolo said:

Midlife, Don, 

I believe the hole that midlife is referencing in the photo above is the entrance for the tool used to install / remove the component from the rack. (I may be mistaken)

R

You could be right. I'm pretty sure that unit does have audio input and I was specifically looking for one where it wasn't as obvious as, say, this unit (which also makes me think you are correct)....

gma-240.jpg

29 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

I think you are saying that a Blue tooth dongle could be plugged into one of the mic jacks in the plane and the Blue Tooth receiver plugged into that, and it would take the wireless audio from my IPad and send it through the intercom or through the audio panel and picked up in all of the headsets in the system. All of the dongles I saw on a quick google were USB. It looks like the blue tooth receiver has the same type plug as the mic plug on the headset. Would it plug directly into the mic jack?

I could probably talk myself into $15 or $20 to get the audio on the altitude app, but probably not worth it for a lot of work or expense.

Remember, you are dealing with a technological idiot here.

Most audio panels can be wired for a music input.  I have a KMA 28 audio panel.  There are no inputs on the face, but it has the ability to be wired with separate music inputs.  Crew hears music from one input and rear passengers hear music from the other.  (This way I don't have to listen to my daughter playing Taylor Swift from the back seat the entire trip).  Although you can probably get an adapter to connect the Bluetooth receiver to a mic jack, I would not recommend this.  Dedicated music inputs on many of the audio panels come with a "soft mute" function.  When you are talking, or when transmissions are received from ATC or other planes, the music is muted automatically.  The music begins playing again when the transmission ends.  I fear it would be a safety issue if music is streamed into a mic jack as it would probably caused missed communications.  Just my 2 cents.

I used the app this morning on a flight from Austin to McKinney, about 200 NM. The flight was VFR but involved both a transition of Class C and Class B airspace. I can tell you the app worked great and the alert was useful. I did not have it connected to audio, so I didn't hear the alert. But I have the iPad Mini mounted on the yoke with ForeFlight running. The alert notification easily got my attention.  

I have a Wifi+GSM/LTE iPad but was connected to my Stratus 2 during the flight. The app worked well as advertised. I look forward to using it further over the next couple of weeks.

Awesome! I'm glad to hear that. Please continue to share your experiences as they come me up (good and bad).

Thanks again!

UPDATE. Build 1.0.9 of the beta app is available for download to all beta testers. Please update it at your earliest convenience. Please send me any feedback you have using the app, good and bad. Thanks again to everyone involved, your participation is GREATLY appreciated!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On July 4, 2016 at 4:18 PM, compilotrc said:

UPDATE. Build 1.0.9 of the beta app is available for download to all beta testers. Please update it at your earliest convenience. Please send me any feedback you have using the app, good and bad. Thanks again to everyone involved, your participation is GREATLY appreciated!

Feedback: Although I have played with the app some on the ground, I used it in the air yesterday on a cross country from KEET to KHOU.  As you probably gathered from my prior posts, I like to have music playing when flying. This is especially true when solo. When running, the altitude alert app audio disables the music on IOS devices. I am certain there is probably a simple solution to this because I receive audio from Foreflight and Fuel Selector while playing music. I like the app, but only left it running for a short period of time for the lack of music. I hope this is the type of information you are seeking. 

On July 4, 2016 at 4:18 PM, compilotrc said: UPDATE. Build 1.0.9 of the beta app is available for download to all beta testers. Please update it at your earliest convenience. Please send me any feedback you have using the app, good and bad. Thanks again to everyone involved, your participation is GREATLY appreciated!

Feedback: Although I have played with the app some on the ground, I used it in the air yesterday on a cross country from KEET to KHOU.  As you probably gathered from my prior posts, I like to have music playing when flying. This is especially true when solo. When running, the altitude alert app audio disables the music on IOS devices. I am certain there is probably a simple solution to this because I receive audio from Foreflight and Fuel Selector while playing music. I like the app, but only left it running for a short period of time for the lack of music. I hope this is the type of information you are seeking. 

This is perfect Brandon. I will look into that and have a fix implemented in an upcoming build.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The AltitudeAlert beta test is complete. I want to thank everyone who participated in the test.

Please email or message me if you were part of the test group so I can give you the promo code to download the app from the App Store.

Again, thanks!

• Like 1