Worlds most secure door

On 6/26/2016 at 8:03 PM, amillet said:

I've stopped at Yerington several times for fuel. One time wind was 25 G35 45 degrees crosswind

Something like Tucumcari, NM?  "T'aint considered windy 'til it hits 40 knots...."

On June 26, 2016 at 8:13 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

Ok, thread creep.....

I went to buy gas and the pump refused my credit card, so I tried my debit card, that was refused too. There was no cell service and I was a little miffed. Couldn't call the bank and low on fuel... The bank apparently saw me buy gas in Chandler and then buy gas three hours later 500 miles away and flagged it. No phones anywhere, there was a phone box on the pump with an empty socket. 

Anyway, my wife got a text from the bank and approved it, five minutes later I tried it again and it worked.

has anybody else had this problem?

I use a discover card and if you call them that you are traveling it won't happen  . I tell them that I am traveling for a year at a time , that's as long as they will let you at one time. I am sure the other card companies are the same.

Gary

keep in mind you may be removing a level of protection that you may want to keep...

It is a pain when criminals get your credit card details without you knowing it.

I had it happen a couple of weeks ago.  The bank called me before I knew about it.  They removed the charges and sent a new card.  The charges were from different cities...

I had heard it reading the news...  Some restaurants were losing control of their credit card data.

i have also run into a limit while trying to fill too much in a single day. Filling my wife's car and mine.

Always carry an extra card of a different type.  Visa, MasterCard, Amex or discover.

getting a back-up while traveling is a pain unless you are paying a lot for the card. Then it is just a smaller pain.

We're CBs...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I carry multiple types of cards.  Also, though things may have changed by now, a few years ago when purchasing fuel from a few airports in a few states in one day, my main card was rejected (security procedure).  I then tried to use another card at the same place.  As it turns out, all of my VISA and MasterCard cards would not work that I tried at that location (Ohio) until I called in and said it was me.  However, my discover card was not affected.  It led me to believe that at that time VISA and MasterCard were using the same algorithm or company for security purposes.  Discover was not using the same information/service.

So, I always make sure to have mulitple cards including a discover car on me.

Thread creep:

I also always keep an Emergency Hundred folded up and hidden on my person or my affects/clothing so that if my wallet and cards or my cash is stolen, I'll have $100 to eat/make calls/buy gas/whatever.

I try not to break it or use it but have in the past rarely when there's a cash only merchant and I'm low on cash.

-Seth

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cliffy said:

Aren't we "the card holders" only liable for a few bucks on false charges? 

Yes, but the bank is on the line for all of it. So they stop them from going through . . . Happened to me one weekend trying to buy gas. Called the bank, got voicemail, they were closed until Monday morning. Gave them a piece of my mind on Monday, and let them know it would have been in person had I been out of town at the time. No, I wasn't traveling at the time, I had been at home for several weeks.

That is exactly the point I was making. As much as they say they are "protecting us" it's a lie. They are protecting themselves and we suffer at night, on weekends, out of the country, with a card that won't work. All of those have happened to me. 

They didn't want to lose the amounts I ran through my card so they figured out a way to monitor it without flagging MY usage. I did get compromised last month and they cancelled it but with an easy on the phone walk through of the disputed charges that were not mine. They were from all over the world within minutes of each other.  They then FedEx'd a new card overnight to me. I'll by that service and stay with it..

On 6/26/2016 at 8:13 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

Ok, thread creep.....

I went to buy gas and the pump refused my credit card, so I tried my debit card, that was refused too. There was no cell service and I was a little miffed. Couldn't call the bank and low on fuel... The bank apparently saw me buy gas in Chandler and then buy gas three hours later 500 miles away and flagged it. No phones anywhere, there was a phone box on the pump with an empty socket. 

Anyway, my wife got a text from the bank and approved it, five minutes later I tried it again and it worked.

has anybody else had this problem?

Capitol One seems to have figured out I am a pilot.  My purchase got flagged once.  Now, anything aviation related has no issue.  That said, I carry more than one card.  I've been denied a $5 lunch more than once because fraud detection has kicked in.

I bought something at an airport store before boarding a flight to Korea from San Francisco. The cashier dropped my card, bent down out of sight to pick-it up and took a extra second or two to come back up. I didn't think anything about it. When I landed 12 hours later, my wife told me she had a call from the CC company to find out where I was at. Seems the card was cloned and $14,000 worth of stuff was charged in three different cities including 3 TV's in Chicago. The credit card company canceled the card and had a new one to me in Korea in 2 days. But still they will flag my card for buying gas in 2 states on the same day or purchasing an air line ticket from a foreign air line. I think they are not as smart as they need to be but make so much money they don't care. The criminals are getting smarter too. Watch out for any transaction you do over email. So easy to attack. 

I have text alert on the credit card I use for travel. When I buy something that looks suspicious to the credit card company they send me a text "Did you make a purchase at so and so for $$$$, text back 1 if yes or 2 if no". It works well for me and they give me plenty of time to respond before they pause the account. As soon as I respond with a 1 the card is good again. It works particularly well because I can make purchases in different states and the most I will get is a couple of text msgs and I don't have to worry about calling them and reaching someone