Fly-over state paint shops

I'm interested in finding out members experiences shopping for paint for their Mooney's. Specifically interested in Midwest shops in the 10-15k range, if there still is such a thing. Not interested in stories more than 3 years old. If you've had your Mooney painted recently, and can recommend the shop, let me know!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't have a recent experience but I'm in the same boat as you.  I'll be taking ours to Hawk in Tampa.  Byron's (N210EQ) is simply beautiful.  Mine may turn into its twin in 6 months or so.  I understand they are quite a bit less than 15AMU though I haven't called them (and I'm sure it depends on what else they have to repair/improve).

I also talked to Tejas in Texas.  I'm sure they do show-plane quality work, but their initial pricing put them at 24AMU.  I'm not saying their pricing is to high for everyone...it just puts it out of the reasonable range for me.

Mena Arkansas has several paint shops at the field. I had mine done there..maybe 4 yrs ago. Pricing it fits your budget. Turn around time was 2-3 weeks.

Mena Aircraft Painting

So far, so good.

-Tom

Paint job.jpg

if you want your airplane sanded with 320 grit and a DA ALL OVER, take it to Mena Aircraft Painting.  It looks great, but the airplane is ruined. it removes all the alclad, and part of many of the rivets And no, Alodine is not "the same damn thing" as Alclad. . When i said no abrasives, clean the metal with Scotch brite by hand only, he wanted 3 grand more, so 15K.

if you want alumigrip with NAPA thinner, solvent pop, die back, overspray, orange peel, buffed wings which shine the rivets to bright aluminum, then retouched with an acid brush all down the wing,  skinny oddly proportions stripes free handed and tape pulling off the plane as they paint it, take it to Cr*der.  Ask to see their paint booth, tip, they dont have one. its plastic sheet that isolates the corner of the hangar.

I flew there and spent a grand of my own money checking those places out so you dont have to.

My advice, go anywhere else but Arkansas.

IMG_4008.jpg

IMG_4013.jpg

IMG_4022.jpg

IMG_4032.jpg

IMG_4037.jpg

IMG_4040.jpg

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, jetdriven said:

if you want your airplane sanded with 320 grit and a DA ALL OVER, take it to Mena Aircraft Painting.  It looks great, but the airplane is ruined. it removes all the alclad, and part of many of the rivets And no, Alodine is not "the same damn thing" as Alclad. . When i said no abrasives, clean the metal with Scotch brite by hand only, he wanted 3 grand more, so 15K.

if you want alumigrip with NAPA thinner, solvent pop, die back, overspray, orange peel, buffed wings which shine the rivets to bright aluminum, then retouched with an acid brush all down the wing,  skinny oddly proportions stripes free handed and tape pulling off the plane as they paint it, take it to Cr*der.  Ask to see their paint booth, tip, they dont have one. its plastic sheet that isolates the corner of the hangar.

I flew there and spent a grand of my own money checking those places out so you dont have to.

My advice, go anywhere else but Arkansas.

IMG_4008.jpg

IMG_4013.jpg

IMG_4022.jpg

IMG_4032.jpg

IMG_4037.jpg

IMG_4040.jpg

It's all good..maybe you were not happy and they were having a bad month or shabby crew at the time. I was just stating I was happy, still am and mine certainly does not look like the photos you are showing. I would have been pissed also. I was only sharing my experience..there are a few other paint shops also located at Mena. Maybe he might have a look. I was referred to Mena by a corporate construction company who keeps their plane at my field and it looked great. To each their own I guess. No big deal, the man just asked for suggestions.

-Tom

paint.jpg

paint 2.jpg

• Like 2

You can't see that it was sanded but I guarantee it was, I saw it myself.  It sickens me they do that to planes and cover it up.  But the paint itself looks excellent.  But you can paint over grease and R looks great for a while too.  

The other place looks like it was painted with spray cans 

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 1

I went to Hawk about 3 years ago.  I'm happy with the paint job, often get complements on it, it still looks new, and they were easy to work with.  They would be on the top of my list if I needed another plane painted.

How about wheel well pics of nice paint jobs...I am concerned of the effort to get the wheel wells painted correctly.  Attention to detail is required for that.  If they do good wheel wells, they will,probably do great with the rest.  Any pics of some "fails" and "success'" wheels wells?

On June 29, 2016 at 11:25 PM, Loogie said:

How about wheel well pics of nice paint jobs...I am concerned of the effort to get the wheel wells painted correctly.  Attention to detail is required for that.  If they do good wheel wells, they will,probably do great with the rest.  Any pics of some "fails" and "success'" wheels wells?

Very, very true!

On July 1, 2016 at 0:39 AM, jrwilson said:

Loogie, why are you kissing that fish?  I'm sure it's a very nice fish but, really, there are some limits.... 

:)

Because it ate the fly I offered!  I live to fish!

• Like 1

On Monday, June 27, 2016 at 1:56 PM, lwikle said:

Tejas Aero......you get what you pay for  

Sometimes....but in their case, they charge double for it.

You will not find a better Mooney painting than Hawk. Mine was painted there 6 years ago, after visiting a many shops and talking to many more. Joe at Hawk is the best.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hawk Aircraft Painting (Tampa, FL KVDF) without hesitation!  Joe Dinalfo is fabulous. Our 231 has been with Joe for 2 months during the Christmas/New Year period....new paint, windshield and interior (C/O Brian Hoover--Hoover Interiors).  We have monitored all the paint stripping, the fiberglass repairs, refurbishment, painting and interior process bi-weekly. I can't express how well it all has gone.  Joe has always had another 2 or 3 Mooney's in various stages of the painting process each time we came by.  True professionals with attention to the little details.  Both Joe and Brian have gone well above our expectations.  Saw it 95% completed last weekend and WOW!  Can't wait to pick it up this Tuesday after the new interior is complete.  Paint process photos attached.  Last photo was the original 22 year old paint scheme done by the previous owner in Colorado....the ole bird was due for a refresh.

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_2886.JPG

IMG_2887.JPG

DSCN4027.JPG

image003.jpg

DSCN4022.JPG

DSCN4006.JPG

IMG_2801.JPG

DSCN3991.JPG

• Like 2

On 7/9/2016 at 1:43 PM, fantom said:

Sometimes....but in their case, they charge double for it.

You will not find a better Mooney painting than Hawk. Mine was painted there 6 years ago, after visiting a many shops and talking to many more. Joe at Hawk is the best.

Agreed.  I've visited all these shops and although Tejas is top quality work, it's 5% better than hawk (thinner stripe edges) and it costs twice as much. 

• Like 1