Opinions on this 252

After 2.5 years and 350 hours of pure enjoyment in my C, I've got the itch for something faster. We like to use the airplane to go places on the weekend. Living in Texas, you need a pretty fast plane to get out of the state and back in a weekend. 

I'm thinking of a 252 or 231 as a replacement/upgrade to the C I fly now. And so I'd like to have your opinions on this one. N252PB is for sale in NJ. The wisdom of this group helped me find one of the best C's in the country and so I have a lot of confidence in the opinions of this group.

http://www.airmodsflightcenter.com/forsale/N252PB#/sites/airmodsflightcenter.com/files/forsale/N252PB/N252PB_0933-b_forsale_big.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like a real nice plane.  I've done some business with the guys at AirMods in NJ.  Good shop, with a good reputation, so the plane is probably as represented.  

The plane is out of annual so I'd have them work some sort of pre-buy / annual deal in conjunction with the sale if you decide to move forward.  also make sure the cylinders are bore-scoped and compression checked since there's 900 hours on a turbo top - which is another way to say they might need doing. 

• Like 1

Looks like a clean, well priced plane. Nice avionics for the price. I second a bore scope and check the oil consumption. Is the oil black after 5 hours, etc. check logs for replacement of landing gear back spring, vacuum pump, O2 tank, fuel weeps, alternators, starter, turbo. The starter adapter usually starts to slip around 1000 hours. You will hear it when you start up. 

Good luck, and get a pre buy inspection. 

Just now, Godfather said:

From the map in your signature it looks like you are a flat land pilot.  Would a m20s fit your mission?  Same price, similar performance under 10k, and half the age.

M20S? Isn't that an Acclaim? Or did you mean an M20R?

We do have a place in Durango, CO but the majority of my flying is on the flats.  I would certainly entertain an Eagle or a Missile. But I don't see many of them for sale. I'd also want to find one with a good panel. I'm not interested in doing any upgrading. I'd rather pay for the right equipment up front.

7 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

After 2.5 years and 350 hours of pure enjoyment in my C, I've got the itch for something faster. We like to use the airplane to go places on the weekend. Living in Texas, you need a pretty fast plane to get out of the state and back in a weekend. 

I'm thinking of a 252 or 231 as a replacement/upgrade to the C I fly now. And so I'd like to have your opinions on this one. N252PB is for sale in NJ. The wisdom of this group helped me find one of the best C's in the country and so I have a lot of confidence in the opinions of this group.

http://www.airmodsflightcenter.com/forsale/N252PB#/sites/airmodsflightcenter.com/files/forsale/N252PB/N252PB_0933-b_forsale_big.jpg

I like this plane. And it has been for sale for quite some time.

Signs of planes selling...? 

Choose the engine you like best.

If 12,500' is as high as you go.  Go IO550!

The Eagle and O are the equivalent of modern big Cs.

Dave M. At airmods is one of the most knowledgable guys in the Mooney world.  A go to guy when you need to get your plane back home...

welcome to stepping up the Mooney ladder.

The coolest part of stepping up is that you know flying is going to be a part of your life for some time...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Signs of planes selling...? 

Choose the engine you like best.

If 12,500' is as high as you go.  Go IO550!

The Eagle and O are the equivalent of modern big Cs.

Dave M. At airmods is one of the most knowledgable guys in the Mooney world.  A go to guy when you need to get your plane back home...

welcome to stepping up the Mooney ladder.

The coolest part of stepping up is that you know flying is going to be a part of your life for some time...

Best regards,

-a-

The question is, when buying your first airplane, is will you actually fly it or use it? Or will it be like that boat that got used once on Memorial day and once on Labor day and spent the rest of the time on the trailer?

I've owned my M20C for two years and three months. In that time I've flown 345 hours of which 228 were FAA Cross-country hours.  Its safe to say I'm using the airplane. So now it seems appropriate to explore the option of stepping up to a bird that will expand the circle a bit further.

I've been to 16,500 in the C and while we live in the flat lands of Texas, we have a place in Durango, CO and family in Denver. It would be nice to have a more capable mountain Mooney.

I'll see Dave tomorrow afternoon and have a look at that 252.

Is it just me or do others find it unusual to not toss in a $300 portable GPS when selling a 100k+ plane.  Not picking on this plane...almost all used plane sales do not include it with the sale.  I do like the hard mount the owner (or shop) made for the GPS, very clean.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Godfather said:

Is it just me or do others find it unusual to not toss in a $300 portable GPS when selling a 100k+ plane.  Not picking on this plane...almost all used plane sales do not include it with the sale.  I do like the hard mount the owner (or shop) made for the GPS, very clean.

I'm on the other side of this one.  I don't understand spoiling the panel of a $100k+ plane with a $300 portable GPS.  If I buy this one, that hard mount will be immediately up for sale. :-)

• Like 3

Paul Loewen was/is asking $95K for his with a recent top.  Paul's plane does have sort of a salvage history 25+ years ago but nothing builds airplane character like having risen from it ashes and being owned/cared for by someone like Paul.

• Like 1

Just now, Tom said:

Paul Loewen was/is asking $95K for his with a recent top.  Paul's plane does have sort of a salvage history 25+ years ago but nothing builds airplane character like having risen from it ashes and being owned/cared for by someone like Paul.

Do you have a link for that?

So if I were to make an offer on this 252 from Air-Mods... talk to me about the PPI situation.  The airplane is Dave Mathiesen's personal ride. I think Dave and his wife flew it to Key West today for a couple of weeks on the beach. I doubt there's anyone else on the East coast who would be preferred to do a PPI over Dave, but he's the seller. Should I just take Dave's word and signature in the logbook that its all good? I was very impressed looking around the shop at all the Mooney's that Dave is bringing back to life.

On a related topic, if I do pull the trigger, my C will be up for sale.

Just now, gsxrpilot said:

So if I were to make an offer on this 252 from Air-Mods... talk to me about the PPI situation.  The airplane is Dave Mathiesen's personal ride. I think Dave and his wife flew it to Key West today for a couple of weeks on the beach. I doubt there's anyone else on the East coast who would be preferred to do a PPI over Dave, but he's the seller. Should I just take Dave's word and signature in the logbook that its all good? I was very impressed looking around the shop at all the Mooney's that Dave is bringing back to life.

On a related topic, if I do pull the trigger, my C will be up for sale.

Always a good idea to get a second set of eyes on a pre-buy. Even an experienced IA can miss an issue, although in this case I'm sure it wouldn't be anything serious. 

How much can you risk?

When is the annual due?

The PPI is the only thing to protect your wallet from the unknown during a machine purchase.

Yes, Dave is a good guy, he runs a great shop.  He is not the unknown.

With that in mind, the PPI should go pretty smoothly.  

If it helps, corrosion doesn't know who the owner is...  Corrosion, once started, can spread quickly.

hoping this helps.  Not trying to instill some kind of fear.  It is how expensive things get bought and sold.  Not just airplanes.

You have minimized most of the risk by buying a great plane from a known person.  Eliminate the unknowns and write everything else out on a piece of paper.  What is it you get for your money.  What is included what is not.  What expenses from the

PPI is covered, which ones are not.  Call that document a purchase agreement...

This way all of your expectations will be clear.  So many details come up on such a complex device it is hard to remember it all a few days later...

Private pilot thoughts, I have only sold one airplane before...

Good luck and Best regards,

-a-