Richard's Training Journey

22 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

The end is in sight. I have three more flights to write up and as of right now 10.1 hours to go. The check ride is tentatively scheduled for September 22nd. The flying part I feel great about, just constantly studying for the oral.

Keep plugging away, it is SO worth it!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A month ago I had my first flight in extended IMC, 1.2 actual in the logbook on a flight from KFUL to KCRQ and back. Most of it was on the flight there, on the way back I had filed 4,000 which would have put us in the clouds but they gave me 6,000, just above them, but once we began our descent we were back in the clouds until breaking out on final at KFUL.

**Checkride update - I'm at 34.8 hours and was going to knock out the last of it this weekend for a check-ride on the 22nd. I'm doing the cross-country over again in a C172 that the school has with a non-waas 430 and KX155. The DPE said that the previous cross-country won't count. I flew a GPS-A (no vertical or horizontal guidance), an LNAV (horizontal but no vertical guidance), and LPV down to minimums, 250' AGL (horizontal and vertical guidance). The FAR is three different approaches with navigational systems. Even though a GPS-A is nothing like an LPV the DPE said they aren't different approaches... The ACS does have the requirement in the appendix that you have to use two different nav-aids in the check-ride that isn't specified in FAR 61.65(d)(2)(ii). But, not a big deal as a cross country in a C172 will eat up a bunch of time.

Anyway, got to the airport yesterday and after pre-flight and starting up the plane when I turned on the avionics the breaker for the #2 radio popped. Even with the radio off it pops so guessing a wire that has rubbed through the insulation and grounded out. My CFII was just flying that plane the day before without issues. It will go in the shop and we'll try again the 25th. The DPE that I was scheduled with for the 22nd told my CFII "something came up" and he had to cancel (which is fine as the plane I needed for my cross-country was down). The DPE also said it "looked like he'll be busy for the next couple weeks." This is the same guy that it took 3 weeks to get an answer as to whether the previous cross-country would count. So, I'm scheduled with a different DPE for the 29th and happy about it. My CFII has used him quite a bit and from his website and things I have read he seems much more organized and not flakey like the other one.**

If you're still reading this post, here is the link for my first flight in extended IMC. I loved it.

https://intothesky.com/2021/09/19/ifr-training-1-2-actual-in-the-log-book-extended-imc/

Pic my CFII grabbed on final into KCRQ, I didn't even notice how beautiful it was while focusing on the instruments and staying on glideslope.

IMG_3483.thumb.jpg.b3bcc3f6559866b7a7d404d73a6048ec.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's the write up of the check ride.

https://intothesky.com/2021/10/10/ifr-checkride/

That will close things out, at least until I get the itch for some more training. I'm thinking sometime next year for the Commercial rating, not so that I can get paid to fly, just because it is fun to keep learning and improving.

• Like 3