Richard's Training Journey

• 3 weeks later...

Flights 9 and 10 last week. Flight 9 was Wednesday evening, we filed and flew from KFUL to F70, landed, picked up our clearance and flew back. On both flights we did not fly a single segment or point that we had been cleared for, the flights were entirely radar vectors and assigned altitudes. That was a good excercise.

Flight 10 was Friday evening. We picked up flight following and shot the RNAV into KCNO, went missed back to the PDZ VOR for a hold, followed by the VOR/GPS-A approach to KAJO, went missed and picked up vectors to the RNAV into KFUL for a full stop. That was a very busy flight but a great learning experience. If you want to read about the entire flights you can on my blog.

https://intothesky.com/2021/04/11/ifr-training-flights-9-10-new-challenges/

Sounds like progress, Richard!

After a couple years with no IFR flying, I'm getting back in. My 2nd flight was last week, we did an ILS into KMGM (ILS 28 Y). Tower said keep the speed up, there were 2 others behind me and he was busy. Went old school, used VOR #2 to track radials from the VOR to locate each waypoint, while the GPS was tuned to the localizer but not showing the map. Center the needles!

Quick miss to get out of his hair, did a few laps around the hold, then cleared to the IAF at home, ~30nm away. And he forgot about me . . . .

When 5-6 NM from IAF, I started to slow down, then at a break called "Approach, 4 NM from [IAF]" and he cleared me for the approach and to land, cancel in the air or on the ground. We opted for on the ground.

GPS 36 back into KALX is a black hole approach. When I pulled off the foggles at DA,the runway lights were all by themselves in a sea of nothingness. And it's an uphill runway . . . But a good landing.

Be sure your CFII makes you work, makes you sweat and takes you out of your comfort zone. That's when you really get procedures beat into your head (or at least that's when it finally penetrates the concrete under my ballcap).

Keep writing, we're all enjoying reading and reliving it with you, when we aren't out doing it ourselves, too.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Hank said:

Be sure your CFII makes you work, makes you sweat and takes you out of your comfort zone. That's when you really get procedures beat into your head (or at least that's when it finally penetrates the concrete under my ballcap).

He makes me work and lets me make mistakes as long as they aren't putting us in a bad situation. I'm glad he isn't constantly telling me what to do or to "watch you/heading/altitude/speed or whatever." Letting me get behind the plane and try to catch up, fumble with the GPS trying to get it programmed for a change on the fly, asking ATC to "Say again for 878" instead of telling me what they said when I didn't get all of the transmission are the lessons that really stick. If I ask him he questions answers or if I need help with something he will but otherwise he's letting me muddle through it in the air. 

On 4/11/2021 at 7:07 PM, Skates97 said:

Flights 9 and 10 last week. Flight 9 was Wednesday evening, we filed and flew from KFUL to F70, landed, picked up our clearance and flew back. On both flights we did not fly a single segment or point that we had been cleared for, the flights were entirely radar vectors and assigned altitudes. That was a good excercise.

Flight 10 was Friday evening. We picked up flight following and shot the RNAV into KCNO, went missed back to the PDZ VOR for a hold, followed by the VOR/GPS-A approach to KAJO, went missed and picked up vectors to the RNAV into KFUL for a full stop. That was a very busy flight but a great learning experience. If you want to read about the entire flights you can on my blog.

https://intothesky.com/2021/04/11/ifr-training-flights-9-10-new-challenges/

You write well.  I read your Blog on those last flights and noted something that will allow ATC to view you as more of a professional.  They listen to people all day long and can tell whether you know what you're doing both by how you sound and what you say.  The pro is likely to get more favorable treatment from ATC because ATC is more likely to trust the pro (or non pro who sounds like a pro).  When ATC gives a climb or descent or when you're climbing or descending and a handoff is given, the AIM says you should come  back with, or check in with, 2 altitudes, the altitude you are at and the altitude to which you are going. Listen to the Airlines pilots on the radio.  You will always hear them coming back with 2 altitudes.  As long as I'm at it, I'll add a couple of other things that don't relate to your communications, but that I've heard wrong on so many occasions.  It's the way to say altitudes.   From 0 to 10,000 feet it is a specific terminalogy, from 10,000 to 18,000 is another terminology, and from 18,000 on up is a third.  Leave off adjectives when telling ATC your altitudes. i.e. don't say 3,000 climbing to 4,000.  Say 3,000 climbing 4,000.  The former could be confusing.  If you really want to seem like a person who doesn't know the rules, then leave off your current altitude, add "to", and say "point" i.e. "Mooney 1234, climbing to 3 point 5."  If I heard that communication, I'd be wary of that pilot, and I suspect ATC would, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My instructor always told me to avoid using "to" and "for". Avoids mixing up words and numbers. Same thing as don said, but id also avoid anychance of using "for" such as "climbing 2500 for 8500".

• 2 weeks later...

Two more training flights in the log book. I remembered Don's advice and shortened calls to "two thousand eight hundred climbing three thousand." Both were very busy flights with approaches to multiple airports. The first was the same depart KFUL, fly the RNAV RWY 26R to KCNO, GPS-A to KAJO, RNA RWY 24 to KFUL. The second flight was depart KFUL, fly the RNAV Y RWY 20R to KSNA with a touch and go, then RNAV Z RWY 30 to KLGB, and the VOR-A back into KFUL.

On approach into KSNA SoCal said "Maintain 130 knots until three mile final." Everything in my plane is in MPH so that is what my brain mostly thinks in. I was at the saturation point and repeated it back to him before realizing in the next 2-3 seconds that while I was currently doing 130 MPH, he was asking me for roughly 150 MPH and there is no way I could do that, slow to 120 MPH to drop the gear and land. He ended up just asking to maintain current speed.

You can read about the flights on my blog.

https://intothesky.com/2021/04/25/ifr-training-round-robin-take-two-and-three/

1104844243_IFR20210417KFUL-KFUL.thumb.jpg.de1fd4177a71a8b1c70784caa8a17eb7.jpg1604131625_IFR20210421KFULKSNAKLGBKFUL.thumb.jpg.cdc40bb1bab3ec7989cd420fbb203716.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I'm a little behind on my blogging. Flights 13 and 14 were April 28th and May 1st and for the first time since beginning my IFR journey I made it through a whole flight without help on the radios. In the Aviate, Navigate, Communicate order of things it felt great to fly multiple approaches and have enough brain power to do all three of those things.

The plane has been in the avionics shop the last 3 1/2 weeks having the GFC500 installed and I pick it up tomorrow afternoon. After 500 hours of hand flying and 15 hours of hand flying simulated IFR it will be nice to have the added benefits the AP can provide.

https://intothesky.com/2021/05/25/ifr-training-breakthrough/

754244871_IFR20210428KFULKHHRKTOAKFUL.thumb.jpg.85ecb59524f8493a71eb9232a693ce9c.jpg1551157497_IFR20210501KFULKPOCKFUL.thumb.jpg.2021f2f9a1af017eba5fa650afa38d61.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, carusoam said:

Looks like you got some real weather there Richard!

Did you get to fly in actual IMC?

Best regards,

-a-

Nope, not sure what it was picking up as returns on flight awarw, there wasn't even much of a marine layer yet that evening. However we are in the May Gray/June Gloom time of year so should be able to get some actual on Saturday morning flights. We're going to St George this weekend so next IFR training flight is scheduled for the morning of June 5th. Crossing my fingers for some actual. 

• Like 1

Congrats on the upgrade, Richard! Figure out how it works on your own, but don't expect to use it much during your training. In the checkride, though, if it's installed and not tagged & logged "INOP," expect to be asked to use it. And don't be surprised if somethings fail mysteriously . . . . 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm trying to get caught up on my writing. Here are three more flights, one filing and flying IFR and the other two flying multiple practice approaches. With the exception of about 10 minutes en-route on the one flight the GFC500 remained off and everything was hand flown. Even on the short flight where it was used I disconnected it to hand fly the approach. Pushing buttons is easy, but the training is about stretching abilities which happens when you push yourself to the saturation point.

I have two more flights to write about and even got in an approach and departure in actual. It was only about an 800' thick marine layer but it was a great experience.

https://intothesky.com/2021/06/20/ifr-training-back-in-the-saddle/

1038869778_20210612IFRKFUL-KCCB-KAJO-KRAL-KFUL.thumb.jpg.a1acab73d007276ab8cc705309e26446.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
IFR Training Flight #18 from June 16th. I was fortunate to combine it with picking up Kathy to give her a ride back from Oxnard and she snapped a great picture of the sunset that I missed seeing with the foggles on.

20210616_194216.thumb.jpg.ad602e3416273adce994e4e3e59dfce7.jpg

Flight #20 was my IFR cross country and will be posted soon. Flight #19 will be written up for The Mooney Flyer and published August 1st, it was my first experience in actual IMC.
  • Like 1

Richard,

How was the transition into IMC?

Gentle ascent into a cloud layer…

Or straight into the side of a cloud wall at 160kias?  :)

Nothing raises the nerves like heading for a solid wall at Mooney speeds….

PP thoughts only, not a CFII…

Best regards,

-a-

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/18/2021 at 9:22 PM, carusoam said:

Richard,

How was the transition into IMC?

Gentle ascent into a cloud layer…

Or straight into the side of a cloud wall at 160kias?  :)

Nothing raises the nerves like heading for a solid wall at Mooney speeds….

PP thoughts only, not a CFII…

Best regards,

-a-

Looks like my response to you got lost in the website transition. It was a stabilized descent on approach.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Skates97 said:

Looks like my response to you got lost in the website transition. It was a stabilized descent on approach.

I remember the response…

Didn’t know it evaporated though… :D

I tried extra hard to be fully read up through the transition…

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...

Flight #19 was the first actual IMC. For those of you that are on The Mooney Flyer  list it was in the August edition. If you aren't subscribed to The Mooney Flyer I recommend it, Phil @mooneyflyer puts together a great publication.

https://intothesky.com/2021/08/26/ifr-training-first-time-in-actual-imc/

Here is a video of the approach and departure that I didn't have done in time for the August publication. I'm a sucker for photos and videos that show the plane's shadow. In the approach video beginning at about 2:25 you can see the faint shadow of the plane on the cloud tops.

• Like 2

Congratulations, Richard! I had the "fortune" of doing my IFR training in the Ohio River Valley, so finding IMC was not an issue. There's no feeling quite like taking off on a dreary, dark morning, hitting the clouds at just a few hundred feet, then breaking out the tops into bright sunshine! Then again, some flights I never broke out . . . .

Here's hoping you find more weather to play in with your -II! Just realize that sometimes in the clouds it's smooth and calm, and sometimes it isn't either of those. When it gets too bouncy, I hold the yoke with both hands--this seems to happen more in IMC than in VMC, maybe I'm just more sensitive when I can't see out the windows.

And as always, trust your instruments!!

Writing up the last two flights right now. One was a short hop from KFUL to KSNA with a climb through about an 800' layer and then foggles on for the rest of the flight. But, a little over a week ago we flew KFUL to KCRQ and almost the whole flight there was IMC. The way back we were on top of it for a bit but once descending we were back in the clouds. 1.7 total in the log book with 1.2 acutal and .3 simulated, it was great!

I have a flight tonight, tomorrow morning, and possibly Sunday afternoon but I don't think I'll get any actual on any of them.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...